HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:36 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_NZ View Post
Is that why you weren't at the last meeting 2Doggs? Have you lost your apron again?
They're on backorder!
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:40 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
They're on backorder!
Ok, that's fine. Just don't let it happen again, or you're out!
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:51 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,779 Posts
Quote:
There is handshaking going on, but I too would have have thought that the gyro should've delayed the handshake reply until after it was ready to accept the next block of data.
The simulator replies the instant that the block is received so that is how I know any delay must be in the Tarot software. I doubt the delay could be be an incidental processing delay due to some lousy algorithm as it is far too long.
Unless of course they have some algorithm that is only sending the next block on a timer event which would explain it.
I think I should probably just try sending it to the gyro as fast as the handshaking allows and see if it works or not.
The upgrade seems to be running in a different thread. When I mistakenly told the gyro to update without having the gyro in the boot loader mode it still kept on flashing the USB blue led for very short bursts. I shut down the app and restarted it and some time later it still told me the upgrade timed out.

I'll give it a go if you want. Chances are it won't do any harm flashing the same code that is already there, as your cat already proved.

Could be more of a problem for someone doing the upgrade from an older version if it doesn't flash every page.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
The upgrade seems to be running in a different thread. When I mistakenly told the gyro to update without having the gyro in the boot loader mode it still kept on flashing the USB blue led for very short bursts. I shut down the app and restarted it and some time later it still told me the upgrade timed out.

I'll give it a go if you want. Chances are it won't do any harm flashing the same code that is already there, as your cat already proved.

Could be more of a problem for someone doing the upgrade from an older version if it doesn't flash every page.
I will give it a go on my Tarot ZYX which I have already upgraded with the cat's help as you say. On the other hand, it may be hard to tell if it actually failed if the code was already there.
Depends I guess on how it does it. It may store the complete image somewhere else before it writes it to flash, which means speed shouldn't be an issue.
Have you noticed that when you complete the upload of the firmware that the unit reboots? It's not a command being sent from the PC, so it's either the gyro bootloader knowing that the upload is complete or with no more data arriving it is timing out and rebooting.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,779 Posts
Quote:
I will give it a go on my Tarot ZYX which I have already upgraded with the cat's help as you say. On the other hand, it may be hard to tell if it actually failed if the code was already there.
Depends I guess on how it does it. It may store the complete image somewhere else before it writes it to flash, which means speed shouldn't be an issue.
Have you noticed that when you complete the upload of the firmware that the unit reboots? It's not a command being sent from the PC, so it's either the gyro bootloader knowing that the upload is complete or with no more data arriving it is timing out and rebooting.
Don't risk your Tarot. My $30 CX-3X1000 is happy to take a hit for the cause, and if it fails I won't mind at all.

Definitely noticed the reboot. It was like an eternity before it happened after the flash. Do they not send an end of packet command or zero length packet to flag the end of the flash? Strange.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
Firmware crash

My pc goes off on its own during firmware upgrade,
Now my Tarot ZXY unable to initialize.
What should i do ?
please help me
Thanks
saharha is offline Find More Posts by saharha
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:19 AM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharha View Post
My pc goes off on its own during firmware upgrade,
Now my Tarot ZXY unable to initialize.
What should i do ?
please help me
Thanks
I will PM you a link shortly with a version of the FBL software to try. It will not require you to connect to the gyro first like the tarot software, so you should be able to try the upgrade again.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
Quote:
I will PM you a link shortly with a version of the FBL software to try. It will not require you to connect to the gyro first like the tarot software, so you should be able to try the upgrade again.
wow it's working
thank you very much John_NZ
saharha is offline Find More Posts by saharha
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharha View Post
wow it's working
thank you very much John_NZ
You're Welcome. Glad I could help.

You would not have been able to fix the problem with the Tarot software as you need to connect to the gyro before it will let you upgrade the firmware.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:41 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,031 Posts
Quote:
John,

Could possibly PM it to me as well - I'd love to see if I can get my Tarot on which I killed the comms rejuvinated. Highly unlikely I know, but I'd love to try.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:07 PM
Need to understand!!
United Kingdom, Witham
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
This firmware upgrading stuff all sounds good but is the upgrade beneficial. I don't have a programming box for my cx I just use thecomputer so if it's a cx or a zyx makes no difference but do you see the benefits when flying, set up!! Basically is it worth doing.
Tobiemanser is offline Find More Posts by Tobiemanser
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiemanser View Post
This firmware upgrading stuff all sounds good but is the upgrade beneficial. I don't have a programming box for my cx I just use thecomputer so if it's a cx or a zyx makes no difference but do you see the benefits when flying, set up!! Basically is it worth doing.
The worth, depends on whether you can rely on the manufacturer telling you about all of the changes that they have made.
They have indicated that it fixes an initialisation issue (which I am guessing has something to do with the unit starting up in the wrong mode on occasion) and a setup issue when you have a mechanical mixer.
If that is all they really have done to it, then by all indications it's not going to do much as far as flying and handling is concerned. It may only save you some grief by starting up in the expected flying mode consistently.

On the other hand, if they have tweaked some performance parameters internally and not mentioned it, you may be missing some benefit.

In my opinion, your guess on whether you should upgrade is as good as anyone else's.
On the other hand, there doesn't seem any reason not to upgrade, so why not just upgrade for the hell of it?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:49 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,779 Posts
Quote:
You're Welcome. Glad I could help.

You would not have been able to fix the problem with the Tarot software as you need to connect to the gyro before it will let you upgrade the firmware.
Well done, John. Having to connect first would definitely be an issue I hadn't even considered when cross flashing with the Tarot app. I just assumed I could enter the boot loader and flash again. This app of yours will be a godsend to anyone that has a problem like saharha had.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:53 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,779 Posts
CopterX v1.2 app for the Tarot ZYX

I've just update the first post with a new patched version of the CopterX v1.2 application that will work with the Tarot ZYX. This app now has a selectable coms port from 1 to 20 and also supports the aux channel switching of the 2 conditions.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:01 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
Can't connect to CX software

Although I can use John_NZ's software with no problem, I have yet to succeed in connecting to either the CX software or your patched Tarot software for the CX. I've tried uninstalling my USB adaptor drivers and reinstalling different ones, ensuring to reboot too - but though John_NZ's software continues to work with all the permutations I've tried, I still can't connect with the CX software, or the patched Tarot software. Now the only reason I'd like to do so is to check out the "conditions" feature, and I guess as soon as John releases an amended version of his software, I won't need to worry about the CX version - but it's a little frustrating. I'm normally reasonably competent around pc's, but this has me beat at the moment! Any ideas?
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c