HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2014, 03:36 PM
Joined Jun 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Depends on stuff like your flying style (eg. scale or fast and acrobatic) and how hot it gets where you fly (the hotter the air the less it will cool). quitcherbitchen is right probably a 50A ESC is enough you wont have problems.
Using a MAS 11x8x3 with a 2800mAh 4S 30C battery on the stock motor I pulled 460W 32A at WOT static. The same draw using a 12x6x2 but with more thrust less speed. Good for doing loops and stall turns.

A MAS 12x7x2 provided gunt and speed at 512W and 39A static WOT. When I started flying the guys I flew with were still balsa building IC purists but when I put this on I could mix it with the best of them. A LHS owner even wanted to know what in the heck I was flying. This was before Hobby King was very well known of course. You'll need that 50A ESC.

I strongly suggest if you start modifying and using different props you get a battery tester that will show you what's happening to it. Or some on board niffty telemetry. If you have 6 servos and retracts a separate BEC would be a good idea in case the ESC over loads at a sudden power requirement spike.
Thank you for the very detailed response, i'm sure all of us newbs can benefit from it. I'm very good at building and repairing stuff in general, but I'm new to the electronics of these planes. I design and build PCBs for a living so I understand electronics in general. You won't have to dumb it down too much, but you won't insult me by dumbing it down about 50%!

This plane is already WAY too fast for my liking as I really enjoy the scale look and flying. A big wide loop is what I'm after and a long drawn out landing staying on the main wheels before the tail comes down is my favorite. (My split flaps mod helps with this immensely.)

So the I have some questions.
  • What the heck is a BEC and how does it get wired in?
  • It sounds like 11X8X3 is still good for what i'm after. Do I need to change the stock ESC or add a BEC for that?

I appreciate the education.
Fedaykin is online now Find More Posts by Fedaykin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:20 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,843 Posts
The BEC provides power to the TX to power the servos, retracts, lights and any other gear connected to the TX. To reduce cost it's often built into the ESC so the ESC is powering the motor and all other other stuff. If the ESC goes into low voltage mode the BEC still provides power to the servos so you have control. If the ESC/BEC completely fails you got nothing. A separate BEC to the ESC divides the load and means if the ESC goes KABOOM! you still have control of the model to deadstick land. It's insurance.
I think the stock ESC has a BEC of 3A/3V? Personally I don't think that's enough for that many servos and retracts. 5A/5V BEC is what I used. Might have been set on 6V.

I was bored yesterday waiting for glue to dry while I fixed my Cub.
Griphin is offline Find More Posts by Griphin
Old Jul 14, 2014, 05:43 AM
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
162 Posts
Definitely go with a BEC. I'd go a 5v/5A model. Gives you enough headroom, especially during that critical stage of flight where you are lowering the gear, dropping the flaps, turning and twiddling with the elevator all at once. An ESC can struggle during that phase of flight and it's at the same time that you're throttling up and down. You don't want to overload the ESC during that time and you don't want a blown ESC to prevent you from deadsticking the plane should the ESC cark it.
symowallo is online now Find More Posts by symowallo
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:29 PM
United States, GA, Mableton
Joined Jul 2008
22 Posts
1st Successful Take-off and Landing

Second maiden of this bird, the first one sheared both landing gear off on too hot a landing. Got some metal trunion retracts from PW-RC and now am loving this plane!

Oh and please pardon the video, it's from a HK key chain cam, velcro'd to my hat and is quite low res and doesn't handle the exposure changes well.

DF Corsair Maiden Take off and Landing (0 min 59 sec)
d_churchill is online now Find More Posts by d_churchill
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:07 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2012
104 Posts
So the motor screws came loose on this thing. I decided to throw a 60a in there and try a 3000 4s and see how it did. the added weight flexed the wings to where it dragged the prop (two blade) at take off. Got a buddy to toss this thing and omg fast! Motor came loose after about 3 min of full throttle. i got it down but it was so heavy that it stripped one of the retracts. One of the guys at the field gave me 1.5 kits for free because he was moving so I'm going to rebuild this thing. Any suggestions on heavy duty retracts? I have had this thing for over 2 years now and i should have gone 4s two blade a long time ago. I only went through 2 to 3 sets over that timespan because i drilled out the center of the retracts and screwed in a cut screw to act as a metal trunion.
tonyrizz is offline Find More Posts by tonyrizz
Old Jul 21, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Jun 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrizz View Post
So the motor screws came loose on this thing. I decided to throw a 60a in there and try a 3000 4s and see how it did. the added weight flexed the wings to where it dragged the prop (two blade) at take off. Got a buddy to toss this thing and omg fast! Motor came loose after about 3 min of full throttle. i got it down but it was so heavy that it stripped one of the retracts. One of the guys at the field gave me 1.5 kits for free because he was moving so I'm going to rebuild this thing. Any suggestions on heavy duty retracts? I have had this thing for over 2 years now and i should have gone 4s two blade a long time ago. I only went through 2 to 3 sets over that timespan because i drilled out the center of the retracts and screwed in a cut screw to act as a metal trunion.
I absolutely love my Turnigy all metal retracts on the Corsair. Go a few posts up and you can see a video of them. They have shock absorbers and everything.
Last edited by Fedaykin; Jul 21, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 05:34 PM
Joined Jun 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_churchill View Post
Second maiden of this bird, the first one sheared both landing gear off on too hot a landing. Got some metal trunion retracts from PW-RC and now am loving this plane!

Oh and please pardon the video, it's from a HK key chain cam, velcro'd to my hat and is quite low res and doesn't handle the exposure changes well.

http://youtu.be/YUvejnN8O3o
Beautiful take off and sweet landing! Really greased it. I have the Turnigy all metal too and I love them! They will be on every plane from now on.
Last edited by Fedaykin; Jul 21, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:10 PM
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
162 Posts
Is it the 90 degree version of this one that you're talking about ? http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/3368
symowallo is online now Find More Posts by symowallo
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:28 PM
Joined Jun 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symowallo View Post
Is it the 90 degree version of this one that you're talking about ? http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/3368
Oh man, I didn't meant PW RC I meant Turnigy! These are the retracts I have mounted right now: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24326

I still have the PW RC metal trunion ones, but the Turnigy are much, much better. The Oleo struts are spring loaded and really smooth out the landing. The tires are the perfect density foam for this plane.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM
United States, GA, Mableton
Joined Jul 2008
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symowallo View Post
Yes, I have the rotating version of those on in the video, 10 flights on them so far and they seem to be holding up perfect - they appear to be out of stock at PW-RC at the moment.

I also just received a set of metal retracts from Motion RC for a Roc Hobby (FMS) F4G Super Corsair. They appear to be drop in replacements and have metal trunions as well. They are all white and have the gear door installed. I'll save them as spares and paint them if I have to use them.
d_churchill is online now Find More Posts by d_churchill
Last edited by d_churchill; Yesterday at 09:12 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2012
104 Posts
got them! $37 shipped conus. Here in 2 days . How to cf reinforce the wing without cutting it? I usually attach cf to the center of a hand drill and drill it straight into the center of the wing. cant do that with a connard? dihedral? wing. i will have to make an elbow for the angle too...
tonyrizz is offline Find More Posts by tonyrizz
Last edited by tonyrizz; Yesterday at 06:52 PM.
Old Today, 09:32 AM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
Hi!
I would like to know if anyone knows the box dimensions of the durafly corsair. I didn't find this information anywhere.
Thanks!
astomaz is online now Find More Posts by astomaz
Old Today, 09:46 AM
Joined Jun 2014
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astomaz View Post
Hi!
I would like to know if anyone knows the box dimensions of the durafly corsair. I didn't find this information anywhere.
Thanks!
I still have my box at home, I will try to remember to measure it tonight.