Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2013, 08:39 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
674 Posts
"Blue" Bridge in downtown Owensboro is scheduled to reopen to full traffic on Wednesday at noon, just in time for the Thanksgiving Holiday.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2013, 02:27 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
668 Posts
Landing gear seems strong to me too. I've had no problems. Good idea to go over any ARF with some epoxy or CA anyway.

Nick
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Dec 01, 2013, 08:30 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2010
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor12 View Post
I plan on getting this plane as soon as it's back in stock. Does anyone know if the weak gear attach area has been beefed up, or do I need to do the mod before flying. I plan on using the Rim fire 120 and 6s 5000 battery from all the info I read from this thread that seems to be the hot set up with good flight times. Hopefully there were some upgrades since it was introduced. Thanks
I have abandoned my plans for electric power and have purchased a DLE20 to pull this bird around. Thought I would give gas a try.....
motor12 is offline Find More Posts by motor12
Old Dec 01, 2013, 09:20 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2011
125 Posts
I have been looking at using a YS FZ 140 any thoughts on this combo?

Ken
ken78cvx20 is offline Find More Posts by ken78cvx20
Old Dec 04, 2013, 01:02 PM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,481 Posts
A 140!!!! WOW!!!!

I had an OS 95ax in mine and had unlimited vertical. A YS91 would be even better, but a 140 would probably take the wings off. :-) I'd like to see a video of that. :-)
Fidelity101 is online now Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2013, 02:27 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken78cvx20 View Post
I have been looking at using a YS FZ 140 any thoughts on this combo?

Ken
if it made the plane balance good without adding weight to the tail to make CG, i would use it, if it fit good.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Dec 05, 2013, 09:58 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2011
125 Posts
Lets see if Tower has a sale on them if so I would like to pick one up.

Ken
ken78cvx20 is offline Find More Posts by ken78cvx20
Old Mar 01, 2014, 09:20 PM
One fast UNIPED
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
help with lateral balancing

Finished building my Revolver 70 and I'm stumped. I balanced the plane, nose to tail, by moving the battery like normal and using the suggested balance point and all is fine. However, it also recommend lateral balancing, nothing new, it's just that it heavy to the pilots left wing and needs more than 1.5 oz in the right wing tip to balance out. I tried to balance with my wife, having her hold onto the prop at the 12 O'clock position and me putting my fingertip on the very end of the fuselage, it rolled hard left. Considering the wing is foam core with balsa over and then monokote finish. It just seems that it would be hard to be off by that much and need almost 1.5 oz on the right wing tip on such a simple wing construction. I'll admit I haven't weighted both wings yet to see if there is an abnormality. Layout inside the plane seems to be fairly even weight wise. Plus being near the center axis shouldn't affect things as much.

I FEEL LIKE A ROOKIE!!! I'm just afraid to add the weight and then have a VERY INTERESTING maiden.

Thanks for any help.

GL
GIMBELOCK is offline Find More Posts by GIMBELOCK
Old Mar 02, 2014, 10:44 AM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Aug 2006
155 Posts
I didn't actually balance mine laterally by figuring out how much weight it would take to make it stay level, I just held the prop/spinner and lifted the back of the fuse with one finger much like you did and mine always dropped to the same side in several tests. I realize this is not the most accurate measurement, but it did not seem to be heavy on one side just not perfectly balanced. I did nothing to fix the situation and notice nothing in flight. A few clicks of aileron trim and it flies nice and level. On the ground, a barely noticeable difference in the aileron positions for the correction.

This might sound odd, but try it with the wings off...see if it is partly in the fuse. Also, the wings can weigh the same but not have the same weight distribution, and remember that the engine/motor is not centered either.
P Farley is offline Find More Posts by P Farley
Old Mar 02, 2014, 10:50 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
522 Posts
Fly it as is. Trim it and fly level flight straight away from you. Pull a loop and see if a wing drops. Repeat for accuracy. Add weight to the high wing in the loop until the wings are level in the loop.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:09 AM
Joined Aug 2006
155 Posts
I should have added that mine dropped to the left as well, most likely due to the right angle of the motor, especially out at the prop/spinner. If you look at the plane from the rear you'll see just how much to the right of center your spinner is.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:10 AM
St Helens, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
212 Posts
I was given this plane as a retirement gift two yeas ago. Been afraid to fly it. I have only the cowl to fit up and I can madden this beautiful and well built model. My power is a K&B Twister .61. After I get more stick time on my Four star and my .40 size escapade. The escapade is a fast, power on, landing plane. Great for practice landings. I will give her a go.
weswanson is offline Find More Posts by weswanson
Old Mar 05, 2014, 12:07 AM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
283 Posts
Hi fellow flyers. I have not looked at this thread for a while and came across this issue with lateral balance. Strange but true, all the revolver 70's have one wing which is a lot heavier than the other. In the other Revolver thread it is mentioned as a well known issue. I weighed all my parts pre build and recall one wing being about 3oz heavier -- the same as everyone else. It takes about 1oz or so of lead in the wing tip to balance. My plane is all packed up with wings in bag at present so I cannot confirm now. It is definitely not a rookie mistake, but seems to be a consistent issue with all Revolvers. Just lift the red wing tip covering for about 1 inch -- tunnel out a small hole in the balsa tip, epoxy in some lead / iron down the cover and no one will know. Good luck.
unhinged is offline Find More Posts by unhinged
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:04 PM
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
797 Posts
Have built two balsa kits recently - TF 63 inch Spitfire (gasser, finished) and GP 56 inch F4U Corsair (electric conversion, in progress). In both wings I substituted dense blue foam for the shaped balsa wing tip blocks. Main reason was to save weight but a by-product is an easier-to-balance-laterally wing.

In the Spitfire, one balsa tip block was 30 grams and the other 50 grams. In the Corsair one balsa tip block is 40 grams, the other 65 grams. In both planes, the substituted foam blocks were identical in weight.

I am wondering if this reported problem of lateral wing balancing is due to the workers building the ARFs grabbing wing tips out of a bin with no attempt to match the wing tips for weight.

My next purchase will be a GP 70 inch Revolver ARF kit which is why I read this thread. Will be interesting to see how the wing balances.

Bill
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:18 PM
Joined Aug 2006
155 Posts
I searched but found nothing about wing weight being an issue with all Revolvers, mine are within 1/4 oz of each other.