HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2014, 12:07 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,685 Posts
Discussion
Vladimir Hyper Spinner: Which props won't fold properly?

I've just started trying a 38mm Vladimir Hyper spinner. The yoke is nicely designed and machined, and I like how (some) props fold flat against the fuse. It is also very light (15g), which helps quite a bit with the CG on some gliders compared to my other spinners that are all over 25g.

I have discovered that some props won't fold properly with this spinner though. The props hit the fuse near the root, and the blades are left sticking out. Some are worse than others, and some work fine. There is no real way to fix this. It would require removing a lot of the prop blade 10mm out from the root - I am not willing to do that. The yoke would have to be longer to allow some props to fold properly. With the prop not folded properly there would be more drag, and the prop blades could be easily damaged on landing.

Some props also require some filing of the root to clear the yoke, or slight modification of the spinner cone to work properly, but I don't think those are big issues.

I have tried a bunch of the props I have on hand. There isn't a lot of consistency on which props fold properly between brands or pitch. If anyone has any other info on which props work OK, or not, and with different sizes of spinner, it might save others some trouble.

Aeronaut CAM Carbon:
12x8 OK
13x6.5 OK
13x11 No
14x9 No

HobbyKing Carbon:
13x8 OK
16x8 OK
14x9 No

Graupner CAM:
13x7 No
14x8 OK
12x6 Needs 2mm space between fuse and spinner

Kevin

Edit: The 38mm spinner cone also expands about 5mm at the base at 10k rpm. 8000rpm seems to be about the practical limit.
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Last edited by kcaldwel; Sep 04, 2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added more props
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2014, 02:56 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,711 Posts
Check and see if the Aeronauts that don't fit are Classic Series props. They tend to be wider near the root.

Happy Landing,

Don
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban
Old Sep 02, 2014, 03:40 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,583 Posts
You might also try to add some gap between the spinner and fuse. Might allow the extra clearance for the props to fold. Your setup looks very tight.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Sep 02, 2014, 03:59 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,685 Posts
None of my Aeronaut props say "Classic" on them anywhere, so I'm not sure how I would know.

Moving the spinner forward even 5mm doesn't make any difference. The props still hit the fuselage and don't fold.

I have attached a photo of the props that don't work (left), and the ones that do (right). There seems to be an assortment of blade shapes on both sides.

The interference is basically because the spinner yoke is quite short. If the prop has more forward offset between the plane of the blade (running position) and the pivot, then it folds. If the plane of the blade isn't much forward of the pivot, then it doesn't fold properly.

Kevin
Last edited by kcaldwel; Sep 02, 2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 06:19 PM
Lou
AMA? Not needed, too expensive
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,826 Posts
Look at this link. There are various AN folding props.

http://www.aero-naut.de/en/products/...productman_pi1
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2014, 07:29 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,685 Posts
I can't find anywhere that shows a difference between the Aeronaut "Carbon Classic" props, and the Aeronaut "CAM Carbon" props. Either the photos on the web sites are wrong, or they are both marked exactly the same, "CAM Carbon". That is just about as handy as several companies calling their props "CAM".

I added a couple more Graupner CAM props that work, so now I'm over 50% actually folding with the Vladimir spinner. But the white paint is coming off the Vladimir spinner now as well, and I haven't even flown it yet.

This looks like a more useful lightweight spinner, with a longer yoke and a collet as well (Thanks FabFlight!):

http://www.icare-icarus.com/Precisio...aft_p_129.html

Kevin
Old Sep 02, 2014, 07:34 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
677 Posts
Icare also have an offset-spinner not unlike Vladimir's. I will report on weight as soon as I get a response from Etienne.

FabFlight is offline Find More Posts by FabFlight
Old Sep 02, 2014, 07:37 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
677 Posts
Haha we've posted simultaneously.

Yes, and its half the price.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 07:43 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
630 Posts
I am using Aero-Model carbon prop blades on my Vlad spinners with perfect folding.

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Sep 02, 2014, 11:05 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain View Post
I am using Aero-Model carbon prop blades on my Vlad spinners with perfect folding.

Iain
All the Aero-Model carbon prop sizes? Which Vlad spinner sizes?

Kevin
Old Sep 03, 2014, 08:32 AM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFlight View Post
Icare also have an offset-spinner not unlike Vladimir's. I will report on weight as soon as I get a response from Etienne.

Etienne reports that its offset spinner weight 15 g, with the packaging.
Old Sep 03, 2014, 09:07 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,997 Posts
Interesting conundrum ...
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Sep 03, 2014, 03:26 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaldwel View Post
All the Aero-Model carbon prop sizes? Which Vlad spinner sizes?

Kevin
I have the following sizes in use at the moment:
38mm with an 18X10
38mm with a 13X7
32mm with a 14X9.5

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:23 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,685 Posts
The TY1 38mm spinner by Hobby Squadron carried by Icare weighs 14.2g. It looks very good. You can change the prop blades without taking the spinner off the motor. It uses a collet instead of set screws, which I prefer. All my prop blades work with this spinner, because it's yoke is about 42mm between the prop pivot pin centres. The longer yoke increases the prop diameter.

The Vladimir spinner is only about 26mm between the pivot centres. It will have less frontal area if you have a prop that works with it.

I would recommend getting some spare circlips that hold the pins on the Icare spinner though. They will be easy to lose.

Kevin
Last edited by kcaldwel; Sep 17, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 02:08 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Rémi
Joined Sep 2013
677 Posts
Nice. I haven't found time to stop by icare to pick one; and it's just half an hour away...
You got yours before me!