HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Oct 2008
8 Posts
Discussion
Aeroscraft "mylar"

Aluminized nylon? They don't plan to let it touch any power lines (or maybe go outside at all), I guess...

Kind of like it. Maybe they fly it with a 3-channel controller...

http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10015616.html
Copasetic is offline Find More Posts by Copasetic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts
From the press stories, it sounds like a rigid airship (aluminum and carbon fiber frame covered in silvered plastic film) with internal gas cells, along with a proposed onboard helium compressor system that permits storage of helium in a compressed state instead of venting overboard. Also, from the size, I'd be surprised if it can lift its rather bulky looking control car, much less anything else, since it appears to be operating near the minimum limit of a rigid airship, volume-wise.
JoeV is offline Find More Posts by JoeV
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Oct 2008
8 Posts
Regretting the snarky tone of my post. There have been plenty of moronic posts on the news websites (about this, I mean) already. I think this is interesting technology, but I'm always wondering how they plan to handle big wind (and wondering if they've really figured out the buoyancy control).
Copasetic is offline Find More Posts by Copasetic