HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 12:29 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,436 Posts
Help!
Vivak PETG sheet supplier

Hello all!

I need some help finding a supplier of PETG sheet in Australia for vac forming purposes. It seems that most suppliers sell very large sheets, and won't do mail order. I live 600km away from Perth so zipping into town for a piece is not a viable option. I've been ordering my plastic from Dynamic Balsa in the USA but postage charges are pretty stiff....

If anybody knows of a supplier that will sell smaller pieces (or section a large sheet) and deliver by mail, please post the info here?

Thanks a lot in advance

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 04:01 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,217 Posts
Hey odd, talk to mainline plastics, and tell them what you want, they may mail you something.

If not, I'll slice up my monstorous roll (8' x 4' x 0.5mm clear) and send you some sheets.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old May 14, 2012, 04:08 AM
Which way is it going now
Australia, SA, Golden Grove
Joined Mar 2003
442 Posts
Depending what thickness you want I have a most of a 1200 X 2400 sheet which I have been used for vac forming. I'll have to check the thickness tonight.

Depending on what you are making I have found that it is not the best plastic to use. I made some cowls and then painted them black, one hot summers day they did distort considerably.

I haven't tried clear canopies.

Willing to cut some off the sheet and post at your cost.

Cheers
Mark
mstone is online now Find More Posts by mstone
Old May 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
My last lot of PETG came from Allstar plastics in QLD. Each sheet of 0.5mm cost me $35/sheet and shipping to NSW was $20 for up to 3 sheets if I was happy to have it cut in half length ways. I've done plenty of vac forming with it and it's good stuff.
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
Old May 14, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,436 Posts
Thanks guys, your responses are truly humbling.

I'll see if I can find Mainline or Allstar. If it comes to naught I'll send you some PM's!

You guys are really great!

Regards

Odd
Old May 18, 2012, 05:11 PM
Australia, VIC, Benalla
Joined Oct 2005
281 Posts
My local Spotlight store sells PETG clear sheet in smaller sizes for the ladies to do doll houses and scrap booking. I think the sheets are A3 and A2 size from memory.

Unknown if Spotlight have shops in WA but thought some other RC'ers might find it in a local store.

Az
Azryl is offline Find More Posts by Azryl
Old May 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,436 Posts
Yep, Spotlight is in WA- will check them out too! Thanks for the heads-up.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,217 Posts
I know the spotlight stuff you're talking about, I have a sneaking suspicion it's acetate, and it's pretty thin, shirt box thin IIRC.

Then again, they may have changed their stock since I last went in to buy pins.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare