SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2015, 01:25 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,413 Posts
The Lemon receivers have developed a reputation for excellent range and reliability. I'm not sure why anyone is now questioning this simply on the basis of a change in the wording of their website.

By the way, "full range" may not be a very precise term but it came about because when the first 2.4 GHz DSM aircraft system, the old DX6 and AR6000, came out in 2005, Spektrum were very cautious about recommending the new technology for large models and stressed that it was to be used only for "park flyers", meaning smaller electric models flown at moderate distances. When the DSM2 DX7 came out a year or so later, they referred to it as "full range" by contrast. There were no particular numbers involved, though when range tests were done by other people, the air range was found to be measured in kilometers.

The real issue is not range but reliability of the RF link. Lemon does very well on this score. But we are fortunate that any of the (full range) radios available today (as opposed to the very low power systems designed for micro models) has ample range for normal direct visual flying. And you don't need extra transmitter power to achieve it (doubling the power only adds 40% range anyway). Receiver design is the key factor.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2015, 01:46 PM
I failed to crash a heli once!
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Mar 2014
1,769 Posts
Knowing a little bit of history makes understanding why they even use the term is useful, thanks for that tidbit of knowledge. Although I was involved in the RC hobby back in the late 70's I haven't actually kept up only getting involved again a bit over a year ago.

A lot happened in between both to me and to the hobby.

I spent my time in between as an electronics repair technician in the US Navy, since I graduated (retired) from that I went back to school (on my GI bill) and got myself a shiny new degree in electrical engineering (specializing in computer design). So believe it or not I actually have some formal training on some of these topics that come up.

Watching the antics of manufacturers to include buzz words in their advertising is hilarious because it's obvious that they have zero understanding of what they are talking about. I'll bet the design engineers are all shaking their heads in amazement at the marketing department.

For every system I've encountered the pilot is the least stable and most suspect faulty component.
dteel is offline Find More Posts by dteel
Old Feb 26, 2015, 01:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
26,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dteel View Post
I'll bet the design engineers are all shaking their heads in amazement at the marketing department.
So's I don't gets myself in trouble ...

I Know Nothing (0 min 3 sec)
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2015, 02:02 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,576 Posts
Got a laugh out of that, Havn't seen him for a loooong time I'l wager, most here don't know who it is.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 26, 2015, 02:23 PM
like freakin' NASA in there.
United States, NC, Winterville
Joined Jul 2014
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
The Lemon receivers have developed a reputation for excellent range and reliability. I'm not sure why anyone is now questioning this simply on the basis of a change in the wording of their website.
I agree. I've had great success with the one I bought as a test. Just as good as my spektrum OEM I'd say.

BTW, I pasted a pic earlier, because... well, I don't see any change on the website. I think maybe the guy just missed it in the description?
Jmel is online now Find More Posts by Jmel