HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2015, 12:16 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I have good flying MQX RTF. I have E-flite charger but it will need jst connector.. quad has extra canopy/ Plus extra new blades. I can supply a good battery nano tech 600ma 35 c better than stock. I also have a nice flying MSR. I can include a new e-flite 150ma 25c. . the a/c charger can charge 150 ma battery. If you make adapter fit jst also. So you get MQX with stock TX batteries/ charger and MSR heli. Trade for a c/p heli or possible glider kit.
I fly Blade and Walkera.
I have original box for MQX. To get all items in top isert will have to be removed and use some bubble wrap.
Also consider a good four stroke engine, or other engines. No junk these bird fly well. Rating on this forum is a MUST have. The TX is stock small game boy type it came with. P/M with possible trade.
I am more into trouble shooting as I have three other quads and I know that each one can have problems sooner than later. I am just going to ride this horse for a little longer. The winds are very calm today but the temperatures are very low. I might be able to give another go at it.
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2015, 01:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
364 Posts
The LHS told me that it is more likely the gyro is bad. Also if I try to replace any of the connectors that will void all the warrantys. The best solution I was told was to buy a new Blade 180 and use the old MQX for parts. I was also told I couldn't use my MQX radio since the new 180 needs a three position switch and I'll need a new radio. Next week I can fly indoors and have more experienced people look at it and then I'll know for sure.
Old Jan 04, 2015, 04:01 AM
Joined Nov 2010
364 Posts
From what I have been reading here on these forums is that if the MQX flies great and you are an experienced flyer then ya can't get a better flyer. So if ya get a 180QX with Safe technology you have a cushion to lean on but with the same flying ablilities. But if ya get better then the MQX is all that it takes for an experienced pilot for same flying. If my board is bad then I'll just get a replacement and not go for a 180 board. I hope I am on the right track.
Old Jan 04, 2015, 02:05 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmimages View Post
From what I have been reading here on these forums is that if the MQX flies great and you are an experienced flyer then ya can't get a better flyer.
You have been misinformed. Learning and training is not a matter of the aircraft (or other vehicle.) Gaining basic skills is a matter of -process-. Even Tony Stewart learned to race in go karts he didn't jump straight into NASCAR. A flight instruction program starts with baby steps, and those must be practiced-practiced-practiced until they are pure reflex. Then toddler steps, and more boring rote repetitive practice.

I learned to fly fixed wing rather uncomfortably, but I learned. However, after I became much more proficient I realised *how* I had done it wrong. I also knew -what- I needed to do to learn multirotor. When I got MQX I spent the first 6 flights never more than 3" off the ground in a carpet covered 10'x10' space. I never did a turn. All I did was forward/backward and then later back and forth rolling left and right. (I also already knew enough from learning fixed wing that -just- before was going to hit a wall I killed the power and it dropped, so I never did touch a wall. Which was a good thing because this was in an outdoor screen room where the lower wall part is brick and would have torn the snot out of the props in a heartbeat. LOL!) I spent the next dozen flights in the 2-3' range still in the screen room, again only going forward/backward and left/right. The first time I took it outdoors there was maybe a 2 mph breeze and it was like flying in a hurricane. LOL!!! It took a couple dozen more flights to learn how the MQX would behave in even the most moderate breeze, and what kind of throttle and other stick input it needed to counteract the breeze. -Again- all I did was forward/backward and left /right. Then I started doing those, at different angles away/back, but in different combinations of adding roll so the path curved different ways. It *TWO* *MONTHS* before the first time I *TRIED* to do a circle, got 3/4 around, and of course it crashed. After learning the first circle, then fig-8, learning went faster because I had developed a lot of good reflexes and muscle memory. I still crashed many-many times. However I never broke a prop because I always killed the throttle just before it hit the ground. I did break a couple of arms because although they're CF they're still not titanium.

My point is that it's the -process- plus -repetition-, -not- the vehicle, that brings skill. The MQX -can- be a drag racer or a pylon racer or a road track racer but only AFTER the toddler level skills are FULLY-FULLY developed.

Now I'm doing Armattan 355 which -can- be a super-hotrod racer. So I turned the rates down to toddler level where it can't tip off more than 30-deg, it -can't- flip. I spent many dozens of flights going back to the toddler level training in the back yard just to learn how to handle the sheer POWER and a -little- of the potential speed. On a soccer field I've progressed to circles and fig-8s and once in a while I let it rip flat out 30-deg tilt in a straight line which is awesome to see. During that time I've crashed it from 'height' exactly twice, cartwheeled it exactly once, and put it in a tree exactly once. Frame bent mildly a few times, and I've broken exactly one prop. I've actually made muuuch more progress in only the past month or so and can do 'confident' (no bobbles) fig-8s in both directions.

'Learn how to learn,' find the right process, and learning is a lot easier.

I'm not saying -anything- bad about SAFE either. I've seen more people learn fixed wing really fast with Apprentice than anything else. I'm still flying the Armattan with KK2 -only- in self level mode because it saves me every time I lose orientation. If you think you need to take a step back to regroup then by all means do so. MQX with it's light weight and low speed really is a good trainer if the learning is done in the right order.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Jan 04, 2015, 09:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
You have been misinformed. Learning and training is not a matter of the aircraft (or other vehicle.) Gaining basic skills is a matter of -process-. Even Tony Stewart learned to race in go karts he didn't jump straight into NASCAR. A flight instruction program starts with baby steps, and those must be practiced-practiced-practiced until they are pure reflex. Then toddler steps, and more boring rote repetitive practice.

I learned to fly fixed wing rather uncomfortably, but I learned. However, after I became much more proficient I realised *how* I had done it wrong. I also knew -what- I needed to do to learn multirotor. When I got MQX I spent the first 6 flights never more than 3" off the ground in a carpet covered 10'x10' space. I never did a turn. All I did was forward/backward and then later back and forth rolling left and right. (I also already knew enough from learning fixed wing that -just- before was going to hit a wall I killed the power and it dropped, so I never did touch a wall. Which was a good thing because this was in an outdoor screen room where the lower wall part is brick and would have torn the snot out of the props in a heartbeat. LOL!) I spent the next dozen flights in the 2-3' range still in the screen room, again only going forward/backward and left/right. The first time I took it outdoors there was maybe a 2 mph breeze and it was like flying in a hurricane. LOL!!! It took a couple dozen more flights to learn how the MQX would behave in even the most moderate breeze, and what kind of throttle and other stick input it needed to counteract the breeze. -Again- all I did was forward/backward and left /right. Then I started doing those, at different angles away/back, but in different combinations of adding roll so the path curved different ways. It *TWO* *MONTHS* before the first time I *TRIED* to do a circle, got 3/4 around, and of course it crashed. After learning the first circle, then fig-8, learning went faster because I had developed a lot of good reflexes and muscle memory. I still crashed many-many times. However I never broke a prop because I always killed the throttle just before it hit the ground. I did break a couple of arms because although they're CF they're still not titanium.

My point is that it's the -process- plus -repetition-, -not- the vehicle, that brings skill. The MQX -can- be a drag racer or a pylon racer or a road track racer but only AFTER the toddler level skills are FULLY-FULLY developed.

Now I'm doing Armattan 355 which -can- be a super-hotrod racer. So I turned the rates down to toddler level where it can't tip off more than 30-deg, it -can't- flip. I spent many dozens of flights going back to the toddler level training in the back yard just to learn how to handle the sheer POWER and a -little- of the potential speed. On a soccer field I've progressed to circles and fig-8s and once in a while I let it rip flat out 30-deg tilt in a straight line which is awesome to see. During that time I've crashed it from 'height' exactly twice, cartwheeled it exactly once, and put it in a tree exactly once. Frame bent mildly a few times, and I've broken exactly one prop. I've actually made muuuch more progress in only the past month or so and can do 'confident' (no bobbles) fig-8s in both directions.

'Learn how to learn,' find the right process, and learning is a lot easier.

I'm not saying -anything- bad about SAFE either. I've seen more people learn fixed wing really fast with Apprentice than anything else. I'm still flying the Armattan with KK2 -only- in self level mode because it saves me every time I lose orientation. If you think you need to take a step back to regroup then by all means do so. MQX with it's light weight and low speed really is a good trainer if the learning is done in the right order.
I think you hit the nail n the head. I flew two battery packs and went home after each to measure voltage. I practiced all the tips from the the last few pages, checked/replaced props and just flew it back and forth, up and down, waited a second or two between making a move. I think if I am careful then practice and practice then its more about skill then the MQX. I've watched a lot of MQX videos on YouTube and I want to do that too. They have been inspirational but I've had it for nearly a year and a half and can only do a half circle without it getting out of hand.
Old Jan 08, 2015, 02:34 PM
Zippin Here and There
United States
Joined Aug 2014
242 Posts
I have both 180qx and the mqx

to total different animals
180 has like i say a beginner mode
mqx is like flying CP Heili unstable allways on the sticks

kinda like balancing a marble on at bowling ball

Since i am an experience pilot i like the mqx

if you really wanted to goto ebay and purchase an 180qx FC board $30 bucks thats the only difference they have
Zippets is offline Find More Posts by Zippets
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2015, 02:01 AM
Joined Nov 2010
364 Posts
From what I can gather as an inexperienced pilot the MQX has been a handful compared to the NanoQX, the DJI Phantom 2, and the RC One Extreme. But after reading this forum's last few pages I got a lot out of it, kinda like reading the MISSING MANUAL. I've learned a few more things to be aware of and now my MQX is performing beautifully. It hovers and stays put, goes up and down, sideways, back and forth. It will now spin without crashing. Now I'm going to jump over to the NanoQX forum since it is now moving backwards and to the right. I had to trim it 20 clicks forward and 5 clicks to the left so that it will hover in one spot. I don't think I have a control board issue with the MQX. Now I can move on.
Old Jan 09, 2015, 02:21 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,919 Posts
Quote:
Now I'm going to jump over to the NanoQX forum since it is now moving backwards and to the right. I had to trim it 20 clicks forward and 5 clicks to the left so that it will hover in one spot.
Check for hair wrapped around the right-rear motor shaft. Especially if you have a dog/cat it's a very common preflight inspection checklist item.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 08:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
364 Posts
Quote:
Check for hair wrapped around the right-rear motor shaft. Especially if you have a dog/cat it's a very common preflight inspection checklist item.
Thank you and that is a very common problem with me as I have cats. These forums are the MISSING MANUAL for inexperienced pilots. Now that I am getting to learn more trouble shooting skills I'll give that a look. I haven't been flying the Nano for a while as I was trying to get my MQX flying good. It sure takes a lot of preflight inspection and a good magnifyer for each and every one.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:18 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,919 Posts
Quote:
These forums are the MISSING MANUAL...
Another trick is that after a hard landing check that a motor hasn't slipped past its retainer tab. If the gears miss completely the problem is obvious because the prop won't turn. However it can slip enough to just barely touch gears and gives very weird/unstable/poor performance. It's happened enough to me that after any hard landing I always so a quick review of the motors.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 02:31 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
10,014 Posts
MQX is dated now but still a good Quad. I have flown my MQX over two years and still going strong. It was used when i bought it. Bought it with a Mcp-X V1 at RC swap meet. Then bought DX5e/ and lader DX6i.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:39 PM
Joined Nov 2010
364 Posts
Quote:
Another trick is that after a hard landing check that a motor hasn't slipped past its retainer tab. If the gears miss completely the problem is obvious because the prop won't turn. However it can slip enough to just barely touch gears and gives very weird/unstable/poor performance. It's happened enough to me that after any hard landing I always so a quick review of the motors.
I have had that happen several times now. I just bought a DX6 and had somebody help me set it up and now I can fly it.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 04:42 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,919 Posts
Quote:
... flew it back and forth, up and down, waited a second or two between making a move.
The 'wait' that you mentioned, I thought I'd used that word, I meant to, but apparently didn't. I have more to add about that.

The brain is CONSTANTLY making adjustments that make all this hand/eye coordination thing happen. That has to do with flying, driving a car, or using a pencil. The brain 'hears' what your conscious thought -intends- for the vehicle to do. It sends signals to the fingers to (try to) 'make it so.' The eye sees what the vehicle -actually- does, and sends that visual info back to the brain. The brain says (this is not conscious 'thought,') 'hmmm... that worked, let's reinforce that reflex. -Or- 'rats, that didn't work, let's make an adjustment.' Over time skill appears to improve because through the finger action and eyeball feedback the brain learns more about what works vs what doesn't.

It's called muscle memory but that's not really is because there are no 'information storage' cells in the fingers. But as practice evolves and advances the brain assigns more memory and computational space to those functions. The connections between the brain and fingers becomes sooo tight and fast that flying becomes -easier- because it takes less -conscious- thought to figure out how to make a vehicle do something.

When I was first learning fixed wings I made some verrrry foolish errors and all I could do was watch the tragedy unfold, and then the resultant debris field, while consciously wondering 'how/why did I -do- that?' Later (much LOL!) I made -saves- that actually -startled- me! Something weird/odd would happen, usually monster turbulence, and my fingers reacted without conscious thought to keep the plane flying upright.

Another BTW. Get into -habits- about things. The -order- of things. Humans (most/all living things?) are designed to operate around habits. That's why FS aircraft have physical (lately moving to digital) checklists. This is as much for getting the brain into 'flying mode' as much as it is for making sure all switches are in correct positions. Or at least that's the -effect- if not the stated intent. Everything from how you get the MQX out of the box, get the radio, put on a neck strap, turn on and place the radio, attach the battery and check for Tx/Rx connection, carry the Tx and vehicle to the flight area, and then go fly. These 'preflight habits' help the brain -switch- -into- 'flight mode.' In the next few minutes, practicing and learning more about flying, the brain just previously had the chance to get 'preset' and more ready to do the more advanced functions of developing more reflexes.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 05:04 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,529 Posts
Quote:
I have had that happen several times now. I just bought a DX6 and had somebody help me set it up and now I can fly it.
Here ya gp...
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131