SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:46 PM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Matney View Post
Has any one ever try Corel 14 to cut with as a plotter ?
If you are asking if Corel can be used to cut vinyl, to my knowledge the answer is no. Vinyl cutters require software that us either specific to a cutter, or know to interface with a given cutter.

Corel, like several graphics programs with vector capabilities, can be used to create content - which ultimately must to be imported in to the software driving the cutter.

That said, keep in mind that the kind of vector drawing tools required to create and cut simple single color vinyl patterns for an rc plane is not nearly as taxiing as required for normal graphic design applications. In other words, it does not take a sophisticated graphics app like illustrator or Corel to draw to get the job done IMO.

bb
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 06:10 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,718 Posts
Quote:
ISTR that you can cut directly from Corel X4 using the Corel Connect plug-in.

How to Cut Straight To The Silhouette Cameo using the TRW Stone Wizard or CorelDraw! (11 min 42 sec)

Haven't tried it myself, I just export the Corel Draw files as PNGs and use the trace utility in the Silhouette software.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jan 22, 2015, 08:42 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,683 Posts
Quote:
I use a Graphtec cutter and they have plugins for both Adobe Illustrator and Corel.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Jan 22, 2015, 09:57 PM
To Infinity and beyond!
Joined Jun 2011
2,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysbrother View Post
If you are asking if Corel can be used to cut vinyl, to my knowledge the answer is no. Vinyl cutters require software that us either specific to a cutter, or know to interface with a given cutter.

Corel, like several graphics programs with vector capabilities, can be used to create content - which ultimately must to be imported in to the software driving the cutter.

That said, keep in mind that the kind of vector drawing tools required to create and cut simple single color vinyl patterns for an rc plane is not nearly as taxiing as required for normal graphic design applications. In other words, it does not take a sophisticated graphics app like illustrator or Corel to draw to get the job done IMO.

bb
True, however using the Silhouette, for about a year now, I am looking to do more than single color trace cuttings. I'd like to try either printing on vinyl, or doing layered cuts to get a multicolored graphic. I am still not sure how to do either.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2015, 01:17 AM
Joined May 2013
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
True, however using the Silhouette, for about a year now, I am looking to do more than single color trace cuttings. I'd like to try either printing on vinyl, or doing layered cuts to get a multicolored graphic. I am still not sure how to do either.
I've used my Silhouette Cameo to cover ( in part or in whole) 9 foamies so far 99.9% of which I use Oracal adhesive vinyl. On rare occasions I will print using my HP inkjet on printable vinyl, driven from the same software - then cut it out with the cutter. The cameo's method of laying down reg marks for the cutter to does work and is not that complicated to do, but it has it's limitations.

1. Not all printable vinyl stock is the same. Some absorb ink better than others. Some are thinner than others.
2. Printable vinyl typically comes in individual sheets as opposed to rolled vinyl - I use 8.5 x 11 - and as a result is significantly more expensive
3. The finish is mat and requires a protective coating after the fact to protect the ink from the elements.

I've used it for certain details, like multicolored logos and such, but it's totally impractical to use on a large scale IMO.

bb
Old Jan 23, 2015, 07:07 AM
To Infinity and beyond!
Joined Jun 2011
2,739 Posts
Do you have a link for the printable vinyl that you've used?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2015, 07:47 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,321 Posts
I like the idea of printable vinyl, too. I have been printing on sticker paper using print/cut methods available on Silhouette studio.
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2015, 08:27 AM
Joined May 2013
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
Do you have a link for the printable vinyl that you've used?
I've gotten the best results using the following. I prefer the "contouring" white printable vinyl they offer. It's a tad lighter, cuts easier, and lays down better on curved surfaces.

http://www.texascraft.com/hps/SAMPLE....-1-Sheet.html

Don't forget to coat the print before applying by using either the spray on they offer or something like the decal protector sold by Testor.

bb
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:29 AM
Citizen 46
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
I'm just getting started working with vinyl and I've heard good things about the printable vinyl from Expressions vinyl. It not only comes in the typical 8-1/2x11 sheets, but also have different sizes up to a 8-1/2 in by 5 yd roll.

I've just ordered some to try. The website is http://www.expressionsvinyl.com
rnettles is online now Find More Posts by rnettles
Old Jan 23, 2015, 02:37 PM
Joined May 2013
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnettles View Post
I'm just getting started working with vinyl and I've heard good things about the printable vinyl from Expressions vinyl. It not only comes in the typical 8-1/2x11 sheets, but also have different sizes up to a 8-1/2 in by 5 yd roll.

I've just ordered some to try. The website is http://www.expressionsvinyl.com
I respectfully disagree.

I buy the majority of my Oracal adhesive vinyl from expressions vinyl but judging from firsthand experience, the no name printable vinyl they sell is not nearly as good as the printable vinyl from the link I posted. It's very obvious if you were to work with both side by side as I have.

For one thing the expressions printable vinyl is noticeably thicker than the "contour" vinyl from Papilion. That can make it harder to cut and weed a more intricate design. More important, I also found the color saturation to be better.

bb
Old Jan 23, 2015, 02:47 PM
To Infinity and beyond!
Joined Jun 2011
2,739 Posts
Quote:
I've gotten the best results using the following. I prefer the "contouring" white printable vinyl they offer. It's a tad lighter, cuts easier, and lays down better on curved surfaces.

http://www.texascraft.com/hps/SAMPLE....-1-Sheet.html

Don't forget to coat the print before applying by using either the spray on they offer or something like the decal protector sold by Testor.

bb
Thank you sir. I appreciate all the info.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2015, 08:03 PM
Citizen 46
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
The Quest for an Economical Vinyl Cutter

Quote:
I respectfully disagree.

I buy the majority of my Oracal adhesive vinyl from expressions vinyl but judging from firsthand experience, the no name printable vinyl they sell is not nearly as good as the printable vinyl from the link I posted. It's very obvious if you were to work with both side by side as I have.

For one thing the expressions printable vinyl is noticeably thicker than the "contour" vinyl from Papilion. That can make it harder to cut and weed a more intricate design. More important, I also found the color saturation to be better.

bb

Thanks bb for your thoughts. I haven't worked with either and never heard of anyone do a head to head between them. I'll order some of the Papilion as well.

Oh, and it appears the stuff from Texascraft is a little cheaper per sheet too.
rnettles is online now Find More Posts by rnettles
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,645 Posts
Has anyone tried this with a laser printer??

http://www.texascraft.com/hps/Adhesi...ear-and-White/
Nergall is online now Find More Posts by Nergall