New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2015, 06:32 AM
Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
545 Posts
Discussion
Hollow Stainless poshrod source needed

I have a number od performance ships that have to have their pushrods replaced. The originals are hollow thin wall stainless in plastic sleeve or running through well spaced supports.
Any one have a source for these?

Thanks
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2015, 06:48 AM
Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
907 Posts
Component Supply will have it, but why don't you switch to the stronger and lighter carbon fiber?
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Jun 11, 2015, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpatrick View Post
Component Supply will have it, but why don't you switch to the stronger and lighter carbon fiber?
I may need to do that. I have not yet used carbon as a direct replacement for the SS tube pushrods. I have repaired a broken boom and the existing SS tube was damaged so it seemed that sliding in a replacement of the same type might be the best. I will have to order the carbon anyway since the local hobby shop had stoped carrying anything usefull. Just ARFS and nyrods.

Thanks.
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
Old Jun 11, 2015, 04:25 PM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Ground Penetration Tester
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
6,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpatrick View Post

Nice link to bookmark. A bit OT but what are the comparisons between aluminum pushrods and CF? Any benefit to using aluminum?
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2015, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Nice link to bookmark. A bit OT but what are the comparisons between aluminum pushrods and CF? Any benefit to using aluminum?
Unlike most other uses (cars, bikes, etc) uni-directional CF as a pushrod is a near-perfect use of CF's best abilities. Aluminum could compete with CF on a strength-to-weight comparison; it's a bit heavier but very close.

The killer for aluminum is it's thermal expansion. CF has negligible expansion in the 30-120 F temperature range.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Jun 12, 2015, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by Al M
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
2,004 Posts
But the planes structure's expansion might not be negligible.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M