New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2014, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by B@@mer
Joined Jun 2004
95 Posts
Mike at f3a was a big help with it. I set the incidence with the wing , then measured ahead from wing tube(installed) to get a zero point. Attached the fuse to a stand and built a jig to slide my table sander down to keep everything in line to achieve the thrust angle. Had a buddy hold the fuse while I removed the material needed. The contra installs with a firewall behind the front bulkhead so it's not a stressed member. It moves more because it's rubber mounted so ther needs to be more clearance. It turned out well. It's at its new home so we will see how well it flys in the spring. For the money it's a nice airframe I would build one again if I won the lottery I'd do a contra again.
B@@mer is offline Find More Posts by B@@mer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:37 PM
Find More Posts by luckymacy
United States, PA, Media
Joined Aug 2006
151 Posts
Wing, stab and thrust incidinces for first flight?

So what is the consensus to start them all off with relative to each other?
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by B@@mer
Joined Jun 2004
95 Posts
I went with zero on stabs and .5 pos on wing to,start then fine tune.
The 2m I buolt was for a customer I'm not sure it's been flown.

Kevin
B@@mer is offline Find More Posts by B@@mer
Old Jan 03, 2015, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by luckymacy
United States, PA, Media
Joined Aug 2006
151 Posts
I'm curious how everyone set the incidences on the stab with the anhedral? I don't trust the incidence meter but what I ended up with is setting the stab almost all the way to the end of travel in one direction of the allen screws. I took the stabs off and then reassembled them with them together off the plane and ensured the stabs had identical allen screw settings. Back on the plane they measured within a tenth of a degree with each other (horizon digital incidence meter). The wings and engine thrust are essentially identical. I'm not using wing adjusters, just the stock holes. The engine originally sat so the spinner identically matched the front of the fuse perfectly but that gave it about a degree of POSITIVE incidence relative to the stock wing settings so I modded the engine mount to give it a slight down thrust which now matches the wings settings. Right now I have the stabs set to be the same as the wing and engine lines. Going to just start off flying at 210mm back from the wing leading edge as that seems to be where everyone else ends up settling at.
luckymacy is offline Find More Posts by luckymacy
Old Jan 04, 2015, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by bossee
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,380 Posts
Hi,
Some flying on ice with my MythoS Pro today. 12 flights in sunshine but windy condition, minus 4 degree Celsius / 24 Fahrenheit.
A wonderful day, clear blue sky and not a tiny cloud.
Practiced Advanced scheduled, Im a little rusty on the manouvers at this time of the year.
A flying buddy came out and he had his dog (not a year yet) with him and the dog barked when I taxied on the ice but once in the air the dog was quite.
I had to move rather much between flights since it was cold in the wind to just stand still.
It was little tricky to land at end of the day since I had the sunset in the landing zone but it worked OK to just let the plane soar through the sun and then just a gentle elevator for a touchdown.

I can tell it is rather tricky to taxi on ice in wind - I was unable to taxi back to the jetty after flight in 45 deg downwind (the plane just did not want to stear where I wanted it to go on the ice) so I had to go back in straight downwind rather fast and in wide halfcircle slip sideways in to the jetty. Rather fun when I got the hang of it.

I had two 12 volt 95 Ah AGM batteries with me as powersource for the charger and it was heavy to carry them about 400 meter from car to the "field" (ice) but it is never bad to get some exercise.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jan 04, 2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,380 Posts
Hi,

Flew my MythoS Pro today on grass field for the first time this year.
15 flights was made before I had drained my two 95 Ah AGM batteries as power source for my chargers. Windy but nice wheather in general. Just as I had made the last flight for the day it was a Swedish Airforce Lockheed Martin C-130, Hercules, ("TP 84" in Swedish Airforce) flying just above my head, that was a surprise.
http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/sv/info...ik/luft/tp-84/

It has been alot of flying this weekend, yesterday I flew whole day with my MythoS 125E and today with MythoS Pro.

/Bo
Old Apr 26, 2015, 04:06 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,380 Posts
Hi,
I made 10 flights today and testing a new sunshield. I flew with sun directly in my face today and the sunshield solution below. It worked fine. The spot is not that disturbing even if it is in front of You in the flying sector. Just a few manuouvers I was flying through the spot but no problem really. The main thing to be careful with is that You place Yourself so sun is exactly in the center of the spot and also that You try to stand still on the ground and just move the head along the flight path (if you start to lean to right or left during flight the sun will dazzel You). It was rather gusty winds today, approx 12 meter/sec (26-27 miles per hour) and the stand was steady in this wind.
I think I will use a slightly larger spot with diameter 30 cm / 11.8 inch - the spot I tested today had a diameter of 25 cm / 9.8 inch.
Maybe the model is not as visable when flying with a sunshield blocking the sun but no problem really, I could see the model without problem but not as clear as when You have the sun shining behind You on the model.

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Apr 26, 2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old May 27, 2015, 07:28 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,380 Posts
Hi,

I noticed some time ago that it was tiny play in the stab carbon tube that goes through the fuselage on my MythoS Pro. Same with the wing tube, slight play in the tube that is in the fuselage.

So I decided to glue the stab carbon tube permanently to the fuselage tube and that way it is no play now. The wing tube I brushed a thin layer with Pacer X-Poxy finishing resin on and when cured a wetsanded it slightly to get a nice smooth surface and also a firm fit in the tube in the fuselage. So that is firm also now.

After the above fixes the plane actually track better in the air. I did not know it was so sensitive to tiny play but it was.

/Bo
Old May 28, 2015, 03:30 AM
SAB
Find More Posts by SAB
SAB
United Kingdom, Inverclyde
Joined Jan 2007
44 Posts
Bo,

I had the same issue with my Mythos 125 this week - tail could move more than 1cm in the vertical plane at the tips - cause as you say was wear in the fuz tube, my solution was to also glue in the carbon rod to the fuz tube - tail now solid. Not noticed any play in the wing tube yet - it has always been a very tight fit.

Steve
SAB is offline Find More Posts by SAB
Old May 31, 2015, 04:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,380 Posts
Hi,

First spring F3A competition here in Sweden was this weekend May 30-31 in city Trollhättan. The competition is named "TAC" (Trollhättan Aero Cup). I competeted in the "Nordic" class (we fly Avanced A-16 Schedule with slight modification on a few manouvers). It was also competition in F3A class with P-15 Schedule. We had 3 competitors from our neighbor country Norway.

The weather conditions at the competition was rather difficult, first day rain half day and rather windy, the second day clouds and some sun shine but very windy (about 11 meter per seond / 25 miles per second). I have personally never flown at competitions or when practice in such strong winds. The landings was a task in itself in this hard and gusty wind (and also with a deep ditch at end of the field just before the landing area).

The competition was well organized and we got lunchmeal each day at the field for a modest cost.

In FAI F3A class the norwegian top flyer Ola Fremming flew his Oxai Galactic with Hacker Q80-14XS to victory, on second place our Swedish top guy Anders Johansson and on third place the norwegian pilot Henning Jorkend.

In Nordic class the winner was a swedish guy and on second place Tomas Johansson, on third place the norwegian pilot Kjetil Strömmen.

Photos of the winner planes below.

When we had finished flying and the award finished it arrived a top F3C helicopterpilot at the field with his helicopter, a Quest Impaction 787 with Staysee 800 fuselage. He made some flights in the strong wind and it was impressive to see how stable this 3-bladed heli flew.
Photo of his helicopter below.

On my way home I streched my legs at a rest area at the road. The rest area's name is "Viggen" and maybe some of You know what that is.
It is the name of the former Swedish Airforce fighter jet SAAB 37 Viggen. The plane at the rest area is on a pedistal. It is very impressing to see the plane from below.
It is a huge plane:
Length 16,3 meter, wingspan 10,6 meter, height 5,8 meter, max speed Mach 2, empty weight 9,5 ton, max take off weight 18 ton, engine Volvo Aero RM8A (P&W JT8D) 80 000 horsepower. 329 planes was build in varios versions.

Some photos below of the Viggen on the pedistal.
Video of the the only Viggen in flying condition today handeled by Swedish Historic Flight:
VIGGEN. . . BY SAAB! (airshowvision) (8 min 21 sec)

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Jun 01, 2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by Finnspeed
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
988 Posts
Bo, congrats for your victory in the Nordic class!

We'll meet later this summer in the Nordic F3A Championships.

***Risto***
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Jun 02, 2015, 01:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,380 Posts
Hi Finnspeed,
Thanks - Yes I noticed that You will be in the Finnish F3A team competing in the Nordic class at the "Nordic F3A Championships 2015" here in Sweden. I'm in the Swedish F3A team in the Nordic class and will also compete in this Championship.
See You July 7-10!

/Bo