SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by sneu
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,369 Posts
Discussion
FAI 2014 meeting results

In case anyone is interested here is a summery of what was done in regards to the F5 events at the meeting in Switzerland last week. In a nut shell F5 is taking the path to allow use of telemetry as well as stability systems unless otherwise indicated in the category. Most other FAI events are heading in the opposite direction with actions taken at this meeting to restrict the use of telemetry and stability systems. The argument that allowing use of these systems is "not pure" seems to be the prevailing argument against their use by opponents. What they fail to see is that by not adopting the current technology they risk becoming a "antique" event.

Steve Neu

This Year) for all F5-Classes:

5.5.1.3 General Characteristics of RC Electric Powered Model Aircraft F5
d) Any transmission of information from the model aircraft to the pilot is prohibited with the exception of signal strength and voltage of the receiver battery.

New 1.01.2015:
d) Any kind of electronic systems is allowed. Exceptions are written in the special rules of these classes.

- Allow augmented stability systems

- Allow systems that limit energy used during climbs

- Autonomous or preprogrammed flight is not permitted

- No GPS or similar positioning systems waypoint navigation is allowed

5.5.1.4 Energy Limiter (F5B/D/F)

The energy limiter/logger is located in the electric circuit between the battery and the motor. In the case of a limiter, the interruption must either persist permanently or for a defined period of time. Instead of an energy limiter, the contest organiser may supply a “real time radio telemetry logger” that transmits logged data to the ground. The energy data and motor-run data shall be made available to the pilots.

Rule for F5J:
d) A Spread Spectrum technology receiver that transmits information back to the competitor-operated transmitter, is not considered to be a “device for the transmission of information from the model aircraft to the competitor”, provided that the only information that is transmitted, is for the safe operation of the model aircraft, ie. signal strength and voltage of the receiver battery.
No changes in this matter are planed.

The first FAI World Cup in F5J will run this year! Thanks to all organizing clubs.
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2014, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by KRProton
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,090 Posts
Thanks for the report Steve.

Guess this doesn't affect F5D much (my primary interest at this time). I was wondering if any of the on-board telemetry for a limiter used in F5B will ever trickle down to F5D.

I know what you mean about antiquating events by not adopting new technology. From what I read in magazines, the same argument persists in the highest level of motorcycle road racing in the FIM (Moto GP) where some argue traction control, active suspension, electronic clutchless shift, etc. shouldn't be adopted. The other option is to let the world pass you by.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2014, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by plastikmann
Joined May 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post

- Allow augmented stability systems
For real ?
plastikmann is offline Find More Posts by plastikmann
Old Apr 18, 2014, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by sneu
Joined Dec 1999
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikmann View Post
For real ?
yes---no GPS or such however.

Steve
Old Apr 18, 2014, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by steveburns
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jan 2005
789 Posts
So varios and real time data of height, energy used etc will be allowed in F5B as from 2015?

Steve.
steveburns is online now Find More Posts by steveburns
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by sneu
Joined Dec 1999
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburns View Post
So varios and real time data of height, energy used etc will be allowed in F5B as from 2015?

Steve.
That is the idea

Steve
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Non Eius A Stupri Fucus
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,638 Posts
Wow, that s gonna change the game! Some inheritantly unstable , but very slippery, airframes could be flyable with stabilization systems. Its going to be interesting seeing what airframes come out of this.... Here's looking at you Dave!
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:12 PM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jan 2005
789 Posts
I was out flying with a vario for the first time today, it's gonna be different next year!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by JAyThaRevo
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2013
314 Posts

#fail

Next time allow automated programs to fly the planes. This is not "advancing" this is making things easier. Now everyone will have to cramp another electronic deivce into his plane. Sad...

I do not care about the telemetry data. But now we have to use this weird additional limiter is nonsense.
JAyThaRevo is offline Find More Posts by JAyThaRevo
Last edited by JAyThaRevo; Apr 20, 2014 at 03:29 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by sneu
Joined Dec 1999
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAyThaRevo View Post

#fail

Next time allow automated programs to fly the planes. This is not "advancing" this is making things easier. Now everyone will have to cramp another electronic deivce into his plane. Sad...

I do not care about the telemetry data. But that now we have to use this weird additional limiter is nonsense.
No--automated flight controls with GPS or similar are not allowed and will not in the foreseeable future.

Stability systems for planes provide similar enhancements that model helicopters enjoy with their heading hold gyros and flybar-less systems. New radios are already starting to come equipped with the 3 axis stability electronics built in. You can't stop the progress.

Steve Neu
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by D.English
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Wow, that s gonna change the game! Some inheritantly unstable , but very slippery, airframes could be flyable with stabilization systems. Its going to be interesting seeing what airframes come out of this.... Here's looking at you Dave!
Yes but actually the airframe flys well it is the launch and landing that is strange...

I think if it becomes a game of who has the best on board electronics it is time for me to quit, may be getting to old for this stuff and starting to sound like my dad but this tech stuff is beyond a guy that is just good at working with his hands... I think I need to re-think my hobby...
D.English is offline Find More Posts by D.English
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by pmackenzie
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
18,006 Posts
Don't other classes allow the same telemetry, RSSI and battery voltage, already?

What is different in these new F5 rules in this regard?

Thanks,

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Non Eius A Stupri Fucus
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.English View Post
Yes but actually the airframe flys well it is the launch and landing that is strange...

I think if it becomes a game of who has the best on board electronics it is time for me to quit, may be getting to old for this stuff and starting to sound like my dad but this tech stuff is beyond a guy that is just good at working with his hands... I think I need to re-think my hobby...
I think it'll allow for some crazy flying machines to be created that otherwise wouldnt be flyable.

Stuff like the eagletree gaurdian arent hard to setup, not much more tricky than simply plugging in and binding an Rx.

Even simply stuff like pushing CG's far aft will be an option.

Dunno If I think its a good idea or not, but its certainly going to change the game and allow for some seriously innovative stuff
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Apr 19, 2014, 01:16 AM
Find More Posts by Darron
London
Joined Jul 2003
904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
No--automated flight controls with GPS or similar are not allowed and will not in the foreseeable future.
So this would allow the use of gps from the model to tell the pilot when to turn.

This with a 3d gyro would certainly result in quicker times.

So in order to be competitive now, you will need a telemetry enabled radio with 3d gyro. I think you have just made the class less popular and more expensive and reduced the skill level. There is a reason why technology should be limited

Who was at the meeting and who voted for this?
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron
Old Apr 19, 2014, 01:42 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jan 2005
789 Posts
Darron, The way I read it GPS will not be allowed but all other stuff will. I don't know how that will affect F5D other than having live info on energy used but for F5B over half of the flight has just got easier.

I too would like to know who has pushed for these new rules, seems to me the competitors were never asked about possible rule changes.

Steve