New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by sethml
Mountain View, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2005
222 Posts
Just finished binge-reading the thread. Wow, spectacular work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_haven View Post
Hell...just dawned on me looking at it the other day bro....I was like....this is alot more complicated than it needs to be...in fact, The reduction drive pinion was only 1mm above the tail belt rollers....had to massage it all in there, and cut the output shaft to just the right length...just for everything to clear...this way is alot more simple...

As for why others don't do it? hell if I know...most helis dont have 2 stage drives..with the exception of high end german stuff and the gobblers....but then again..I'm no college educated engineer with umpteen degrees either....just a little dose of common sense....a very little sometimes.....*grins*
There is a heli with the tail drive taken off the middle of a two-stage reduction, and I have one: the LF-Technik Roxxter 55. German 600-bladed heli from 2006, hasn't been made for many years. Mine flew well for a while, then developed incurable wobbles at low RPMs that resulted in chicken dance and occasional blade strikes on spooldown. I shelved the heli for a few years, then got a prototype FBL head from a neighbor who used to be a professional pilot and put it on the heli with a little machining work. At this point it flies pretty well and it my heli of choice for training and practicing new moves. I just have to be careful not to crash it since parts are unobtanium and I don't have the time or probably the skill to machine new ones.

In any case, it's got a belt primary reduction and gear secondary reduction, with the OWB, gear pinion, and tail belt hub on the same intermediate shaft. Here's a crummy photo:

You can still download the manual in German, which has details of the drivetrain. It works well - quiet and indestructible.
sethml is online now Find More Posts by sethml
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by ShaneXman
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2011
975 Posts
Troy...come back Troy!

-Shane
ShaneXman is offline Find More Posts by ShaneXman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:34 AM
Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
United States, HI, Kalaheo
Joined Jan 2011
4,978 Posts
Did Troy finish your Warpish project!
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by ShaneXman
Coaxial to CP? *shrugs*
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2011
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Did Troy finish your Warpish project!
No, I'm not quite sure what the status / plan is for it as this point. From what I understand he is planning on making a miniature version of his latest project. I believe WarpISH will be changing significantly, but that is only speculation at this point.

-Shane
ShaneXman is offline Find More Posts by ShaneXman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
United States, HI, Kalaheo
Joined Jan 2011
4,978 Posts
I would like to see it flying one day,hopefully soon!
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Mar 21, 2015, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by heli_haven
United States, SC, Moncks Corner
Joined Mar 2012
1,627 Posts
Oh, she will fly...*grins* Making side frames by hand is just a ROYAL PITA. That's the major reason I got the CNC mill. Just have to improve my skills and the machine itself.

I'm in GA right now...working on getting a new truck. Hopefully I will be back to chip making next week sometime...
heli_haven is offline Find More Posts by heli_haven