Originally Posted by Brady Baggs
I got a supra replacement pod from clm-pro 3 or 4 months ago. Getting the angle on the pedestal is easy enough by just CAing 1/32" or 1/16" balsa to the top. Then sand down to match the wing. You don't even have to cover the entire top just put a strip 3/8" or 1/2" wide on the outer sides. But before that the more difficult part was how to mount the wing ? I made a template of the wing bolt pattern. I use 1/16 aircraft ply. I then cut the ply about the same length as the cord and little wider than the new pod . I use the wing as a guide to drill the template. After drilling I sandwiched the template in betweent the center panel and the original pod and traced out the flange on to the template. I then cut a rather large oval access hole in the middle of the template and used this and the traced lines to eyeball the placement on to the new pod. I pre drilled the bolt pattern and cut about the same size hole in the middle of the pedesial so that I could place the pre made T nut in the right place on the inside of the pod. The T nuts where in beaded in several layers of aircraft ply It looked like a 1/2" square cube. The hard part was how to glue the T nuts in the right place? I decided to over sized the screw holes in the pod just so that there is a little wiggle room. I then used the ply jig to pre fit the t nuts and used screws through the top to hold the nuts in place. After several adjustments I was happy with the fit and decided to use 1 hr epoxy to glue the t nuts in place. I made an effort not to get the epoxy into the t nuts but just incase I first coated the inside of the t nuts and screws with Vaseline so I could get them back out later. I often test the excess epoxy in the mixing dish to see when it start curing or just to see if it does cure . But when it starts to get rubbery that's when I removed the screws just in case epoxy some how got in the screw holes. When Its rubbery there is still a little time to move things around so I had pre Vaseline the wing screws and then lightly mounted the wing on the new pod to ensure fit and eye ball that it was straight with the pod maybe moved it square a little.. Then shimmed in between wing and the pod with 1/16" balsa just taking up the gap but trying to keep them about the same on both sides. I then cranked down on the screws let it set up over night. After all of that, that's when I CA the balsa to the top of the pedestal and sanded to fit. This was the TD version but the same deal on the e-pod.
Like I said, a bit of a pain in the behind.
Call Barry and get one there.