SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2015, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by MaartenX
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Joined Mar 2012
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
These parts looks like the wing root's flaps of a F-100 Super Sabre or the ailerons of a F-15, but they also might be parts from a Liner's wing. With so few informations, it's very hard to guess !

+1

You could roast me over an open fire but I wouldn't be able to give you the right answer.
MaartenX is online now Find More Posts by MaartenX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2015, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
535 Posts
Wing root flaps - pretty close! Actually they are the inner elevons, but not for the F-100. From what I understand the full size of the aircraft in question uses inner and outer elevons rather than inner elevators and outer ailerons.

Of course the question still remains why I am building elevons using a technique that will probably require a longer build time that an entire conventional correx airframe

Oh, and its not 'just because I can'

Here is a bit more of the puzzle that should give away what plane it is. That plus that 2015 is the last year that you will be able to see one fly:
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Jun 30, 2015, 03:32 PM
Find More Posts by EeleyEagle
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Joined May 2006
490 Posts
Vulcan.............that's my guess.
Andrew
EeleyEagle is online now Find More Posts by EeleyEagle
Old Jul 01, 2015, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by bigphil1967
UK, Torfaen, Cwmbran
Joined Jun 2009
43 Posts
That's what I'm thinking..
Phil
bigphil1967 is offline Find More Posts by bigphil1967
Old Jul 01, 2015, 03:12 AM
Joined May 2012
535 Posts
Of course it's a Vulcan!

Here are some more pictures of the inner elevon progress. It's turning out better than I expected - no slop, very smooth motion and very scale looking appearance.

But that's not the reason why all the extra work was needed.
Old Jul 01, 2015, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,141 Posts
ES....... that rib structure is impressive!
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old Jul 02, 2015, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by TrevorJS
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Oct 2012
312 Posts
My guess would be you needed to save that extra 0.0001g to achieve your target weight ! ;-) By using a single servo you shave off quite a few grams and reduce the weight behind th CG.. .. With you its always about the weight...!
TrevorJS is offline Find More Posts by TrevorJS
Old Jul 02, 2015, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by RCDad
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,112 Posts
Subscribed to a great tread!
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Jul 03, 2015, 02:50 AM
Joined May 2012
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorJS View Post
My guess would be you needed to save that extra 0.0001g to achieve your target weight ! ;-) By using a single servo you shave off quite a few grams and reduce the weight behind th CG.. .. With you its always about the weight...!
This would be true 9 times out of 10, but not this time...at 30g per elevon, this technique is definitely heavier than just a strip of 3mm correx. Also, since it's an elevon I have to have at least one servo per side, so no saving there (though I plan to connect the inner and outer elevons so that they can run off the same servo, so I guess I do save 2 servos indirectly )

The clue lies in the size of this thing - span is 1.4m and the length is over 1.2m. More pertinent, the spar and central ribs are 100mm deep at their thickest point!

PS: Target weight is under 1400g, which will give a WCL under 3. WeboCalc describes it's expected performance as 'flies like a paper plane', so weight is not a major factor for this build. I'm intending to power it with 2 small Emax motors which give about 700g thrust each, so my only weight concern is not making it too heavy for these motors.
Last edited by Extreme Sports; Jul 03, 2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2015, 04:30 AM
Find More Posts by bigphil1967
UK, Torfaen, Cwmbran
Joined Jun 2009
43 Posts
Right, decided now that I'm defo going to build the Hog next....any advice on this one guys.
I've been looking at the post that FB did on the forum and it looks straight forward, but one thing that I need to look at in a bit more detail is the wing tips where they fold down.
Cheers guys.

P.S
2 models I've built for my buddies are having they're maidens this weekend. ..fingers crossed

Phil
bigphil1967 is offline Find More Posts by bigphil1967
Old Jul 04, 2015, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,141 Posts
Phil. Good luck with those maidens ;-)

...nothing really too complicated about the drop tips on the A-10 wing. Just take two scrap pieces and "deflute" each and practice bending and hot gluing.....
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle