Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:16 AM
Joined Aug 2009
198 Posts
Discussion
My Bixler2

I know, another Bixler thread....

My goal is to start with a simple camera platform to record as I fly. I'm using a gopro in the hatch area like most folks do. I would like to dabble in FPV eventually. For now I'll be running an ORX full range 6 channel Rx, ORX gyro, HK 9g servos, all pushed by the NTM 28-26a 1200 kv on a stock prop . I don't like the stock motor mount and may replace that with the exterior one. At least I will be able to upgrade the motor if I go that route later. I have a few different ESC's laying around and after I do some amp draw tests I will settle on one then.

I opted to not use the servo wire channels and just glued that entire piece of foam back in its groove. I cut my own shallow wire slot and just taped over it. While not pretty, its tidy and repairable. Reinforced the bottom of the wing with fiber tape. May do the leading edge..... Not sure. I hate taping on a curve. Removed the wing attachments inside the fuse and installed magnets on the wings. While sturdy and fairly well connected I don't trust them for flight. At this point I may just hot glue the wings in or use some Velcro straps under the wing to prevent them from sliding out. I really don't like pulling wings off of foamies. It tends to get sloppy after a while.

I removed a lot of foam from the inside. I can slide a 2200 back under the wing if I have to. I also mounted 2 servo extenders to the rear of the fuse that I can flush mount the rudder/elevator servos to their respective wing section. The servos will plug into the side of the fuse without having to run a series of super long servo leads all the way back through the the fuse. If I lose a servo I can uplug it, replace it, plug it back in, and go. I will probably add some thin CF tube in the control rod grooves. I already installed some CF to both stabs. More fiber tape to be added all around the Bix² for support and skid protection.

Next is a paint scheme I got from another Bixler2 post. Blaze orange wing tips, black nose and pyramid on top, blaze orange tail section, and I have to look it up but there is a specific pattern of orange and black for the bottom.

Oh and I cut a door with magnetic closure on the port side under the wing. Lots of room to maneuver equipment now.

Did I miss anything?
#bixler2 build #bixler2 mods
DEBAY777 is online now Find More Posts by DEBAY777
Last edited by DEBAY777; Mar 05, 2014 at 05:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2014, 05:45 AM
Joined Aug 2009
198 Posts
So I opted to use the small parts CNC motor mount. That means even more time before I can fly but it also adds some flexibility for future upgrades without having to perform major surgery on my bix2. Since I'm using the 1200kv motor I can probably afford to go up a prop size anyway. Some amperage testing is in the mix here soon. I also grabbed 2 more zippy 2200's.
Last edited by DEBAY777; Feb 25, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:35 AM
Joined Aug 2009
198 Posts
First picture is a dry mock up assembly....just another Bix2
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1393608851464.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 46.3 KB
Description:
I copied most every mod I found including the side door. I think I went smaller than most.
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1393608871316.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 35.0 KB
Description:
The hatch open.
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1393608886474.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 30.7 KB
Description:
I glued the channels into the wings and just cut a groove to run the servo leads through.
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1393608908104.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 36.9 KB
Description:
I'm typing blind here but I think this one is the rear of the fuse. I'm mounting the servos in the rear stabs and I will be able to plug in the servos without worrying about getting into the fuse.
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1393608924296.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 25.1 KB
Description:
The last 2 are mock ups assemblies with masking tape prepping for paint.
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1393608938407.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 37.3 KB
Description:
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1393608952803.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 44.8 KB
Description:
Last edited by DEBAY777; Feb 28, 2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
198 Posts
Everything masked and ready to paint. Waiting for motor mount and a few odds and ends to complete this build. Aside from mounting the power system and gyro I just remembered I didn't cut the top out for my ESC. That shouldn't be too difficult and I'll knock it out right before I spray it down with some black paint. The top of the nose will be black. Black will continue all the way up and over the wings to the motor mount. From the bottom of the canopy the black will taper up to just under the wing. Looking at the top of the wing I will continue with some black in a giant triangle. The nose will be the tip and the other two corners end at the outer edge of the flaps. The leading edge will remain white. The wing tips will be blaze orange. Under the wing the tips will also be blaze orange following the same masking lines as the top. On the bottom The black will follow an opposite scheme as the top. Essentially the bottom black and white areas will just switch with their respective places on the top. I got the scheme from a YouTube video. I hated the Bix2 stickers and wanted something that would have a lot of long range contrast. I liked his idea so I borrowed it.

Left to do:
Mount Small parts CNC mount.
Mount motor
Mount ESC
Mount ORX 3 axis gyro
Install battery velcro.
Install wing retention Velcro
Install tail servos
Find COG without gopro
Find COG with gopro
And of course paint.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 12:47 AM
Joined Aug 2009
198 Posts
Received the Small Parts motor mount. Hobbykng, as usual, is taking their time getting my stuff to me. I ordered stuff with my bixler that has yet to make it. Sigh
Old Mar 04, 2014, 08:04 PM
Joined Aug 2009
198 Posts
Got her painted up. Just attached tail. Waiting for it to set so I can install tail servos.

Won't be long until she is airworthy.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
198 Posts
Finally got everything done. She flies. Mostly. Because of all the modifications she is very tail heavy. With a 2200 stuffed in the nose it takes right at 150 grams to make her balance out and she still feels a little tail heavy in the air. However, if I lose power -which I did- she glides like nothing I've ever owned.

On flight one she just went out 15' or so and flopped into the ground. No power. I was using the recommended NTM 2826 1400 kV motor with the stock prop. It just didn't have the power to push the Bix. I swapped out the motor for one of the Grayson Hobby park jet 2 motors I bought for some of the RCPowers planes I have plans for. I tossed on the stock prop and did a ground test. She scooted quite well. I was then able to do a ground take off. However I smoked the ESC, hence my gliding experience. I switched out the 30amp for a 70amp......I know overkill. It still didn't want to fly right. With my amp meter hooked up it peaked right at 30 amps but the motor would throttle down like the batteries were dead.

I did some.research and picked out the NTM 3536 1400 and an APC 8x6. At WOT I should get a max amount draw of 31amps and at half throttle its right around half the amps or less. That should give me more push and more flight time to boot.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:27 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
199 Posts
I'm a bit disappointed with the motor in my Bixler2 so plan to replace it with a more powerful one - but I can't see how the original motor is fixed so I'm not sure how I'll get it out. Is it simply glued in-place? Any ideas? Tony
T.W. is offline Find More Posts by T.W.