Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
799 Posts
Question
Ultra-micro quad as indoor CP trainer

Hi,
I would like to know if the flight characteristics of an ultra-micro quad are similar to a micro-CP?

I would like to practice outdoors with my Wasp Nano CP, and indoors with an ultra micro quad like the WL Toys V202, as I make the transition from FP to CP.
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:18 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,268 Posts
That should be fine. I jump back and forth between my MCPx and MQx all the time and it's not a big adjustment.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 03, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:50 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,909 Posts
Not quite as similar. Single rotor helicopters are not symmetrical and inherently unstable. They need to lean to one side to be able to hover and the left/right banks don't mirror each other, you also need to compensate differently when using either side of the rudder.

Quads are symmetrical since the propellers cancel each other out so i'd wager they're more consistent when turning.

The difference isn't significant enough to make you crash (Atleast, not as bad as moving from 3ch to 4ch), it's just a difference in flying chracteristics once you start flying different helis.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:26 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,268 Posts
That would be true if all the motors and blades were perfectly matched. But with all the beating these mini quads take, that doesn't last long. They develop their own quirks and banking turns with a quad is more difficult than any heli... they don't like to turn.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:03 AM
Joined Oct 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Not quite as similar. Single rotor helicopters are not symmetrical and inherently unstable. They need to lean to one side to be able to hover and the left/right banks don't mirror each other, you also need to compensate differently when using either side of the rudder.

Quads are symmetrical since the propellers cancel each other out so i'd wager they're more consistent when turning.

The difference isn't significant enough to make you crash (Atleast, not as bad as moving from 3ch to 4ch), it's just a difference in flying chracteristics once you start flying different helis.
I take this to mean that indoor practice with a quad may not be too useful as training for a CP heli, especially turns including banked, and forward flight?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:24 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,909 Posts
Probably. We're basically comparing a fixed pitch heli to a collective pitch one, so the way they handle altitude and power is different. And balr14 has a point, multirotors turn using the torque from the blades, whereas helicopters have a tailrotor that basically bites into the air to change direction instnatly. Considering how much of an impact a tail has on the helicopters handling, the difference may be significant. Again tho, it won't necessarily be different enough to make you crash.

It's still going to handle better than your FP heli so i wouldn't cross it off just yet.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:04 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,268 Posts
Doing banked turns with a quad requires skill and discipline and all 4 functions. It's easier with a CP heli, but you still need to use the same skills... just a little differently. I fly a quad like a stunt plane, doing aileron turns. With a quad, you bank a turn with a lot of aileron and elevator, some throttle to maintain altitude and a touch of rudder to hold the heading. CP helis aren't much different. There's absolutely no difference in forward flight that I've noticed. I suppose at some point on the skill ladder the differences may feel more pronounced. But, I haven't reached that point and probably never will. I confess that I have not reached the skill level where I can do a banked turn with a quad in a confined space. I still need at least twice the room I need to do it with a heli. I have a friend who can do banked turns with an MQx in about 10' (I hate him). Basically, the quad gives you instant response and tons of movement authority, both of which are great practice for a CP heli.
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Oct 2012
799 Posts
1. Do you need constant input to fly a quad like you do with a CP?

2. Does any movement (like a bank or forward flight) need to be stopped by giving an opposite command (like in a CP), or do you just return the control stick to its neutral position (as you would do with a small FP)?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:54 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,268 Posts
That depends on the quad you buy. Self-leveling requires accelerometers. But, you will still fly into a wall if you don't correct it. The MQx doesn't give you any help, no accelerometers or programming tricks. A lot of cheaper quads give you hardware and software assistance; go figure.