HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:42 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Build Log
Tom Herr J-3 Cub from Alien Aircraft

I am listing this as a build log, but it is not actually. Just don't see much posted on this model anywhere. At least not that I could find when researching it. A really good model for a novice build. I just wanted one for a fun flyer. Everything goes together really easily and almost self aligning. The plane is well designed and sturdy. The only weak points are the landing gear as provided. I beefed the main gear up with hinged fairings and rigging. The flimsy little tail wheel, well, I replaced with a little larger flimsy tail wheel. AUW is right at 16 oz. as advertised. I ordered the kit with motor, ESC, push rods and prop supplied with kit. I only had to provide servos, wheels and receiver, and covering. I covered it with Coverite Microlite. A little more transparent than I would have liked and not the right color as they did not have "Cub Yellow". She is ready for balancing and control throws to be set tomorrow. If all goes well I am going to try and maiden her on Sunday, weather and wife permitting..
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:43 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Maiden was a success..!

I did manage to get to maiden the Cub this morning. Had some 3-4 mph winds. I was a little hesitant to maiden such a small plane in the wind but decided what the hell, I can't wait till next week end. The Cub flew very well. No trim inputs at all. A very nice flyer for a beginner or someone like me who just wanted an easy build and something really fun to fly. It is quite aerobatic even on the suggested rates. Over all I am very pleased with plane.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
Troy Bowman
United States, UT, Woods Cross
Joined Sep 2011
413 Posts
Nice build! Nice hinged landing gear setup, could you show more on how it works, and how you figured out how strong or much give it should have?
arcarius is offline Find More Posts by arcarius
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcarius View Post
Nice build! Nice hinged landing gear setup, could you show more on how it works, and how you figured out how strong or much give it should have?
I wish it were that complicated. Truthfully, just replaced the 1/16" balsa fairings supplied with the kit with 1/16" lite ply. Used 4 Dubro surface hinges to attach the fairings to the corners of the fuselage with some backers on the inside. Had some jewelery wire (rigging wire) left over from my Peter Rake SPAD XIII build for the cables. Found some really lite brake parts springs in the shed. The tiny crimps have set screws in them so they are reusable. The music wire is not actually attached to the fairings but is recessed 1/2 way into the ply and clamped by the cables at the bottom so they can slid as the fairings spread and retract. As far as setting the tension, I just put tension on the springs until they just started pulling the wheels in with no weight on them. When I put the battery in and begin rolling the wheels level out.
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:27 AM
Troy Bowman
United States, UT, Woods Cross
Joined Sep 2011
413 Posts
Ah, I get it, the gear isn't hinged, too. Still, beautiful! Good job, man!
arcarius is offline Find More Posts by arcarius
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:20 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcarius View Post
Ah, I get it, the gear isn't hinged, too. Still, beautiful! Good job, man!
No, the piano wire is one piece placed in the fuse per plans. It was very flimsy so I more or less just reinforced it with the hinged fairings and gave it more support with the rigging. Looks cool though..and did provide a bit of anti-bounce on landing..
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Hello

Hey I was thinking of ordering this plane as a first balsa build, I have built planes from foam before. I was just wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

1. Is this an ok novice build as I am really good at reading directions and have built foam planes before?

2. Is the wing removable after built is complete?

3. What glue is recommended as I have not yet built a balsa plane?

Thanks Mike
lithail is offline Find More Posts by lithail
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:32 AM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
413 Posts
Very well done and thanks for the great build pictures.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:05 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithail View Post
Hey I was thinking of ordering this plane as a first balsa build, I have built planes from foam before. I was just wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

1. Is this an ok novice build as I am really good at reading directions and have built foam planes before?

2. Is the wing removable after built is complete?

3. What glue is recommended as I have not yet built a balsa plane?

Thanks Mike
1. It is a very easy build. The manual is located online only here:http://www.alienaircraft.com/docs/302_book.pdf You can review it and decide for yourself.

2. The wing is removable via two nylon screws as shown in the manual.

3. I mainly use medium CA for all my builds.

As for covering the model, I do recommend a light weight covering. I used Coverite Coverlite. If you are not experienced at covering, light weight coverings can be very intimidating and hard to work with. Even I, an avid Monocoat user became frustrated with this stuff and tossed a few ruined pieces in the can. But with patience it can be done...(something I do not have)

AS for flying, you shouldn't have any problem if you have been flying foamys...
Last edited by RMCCOR7737; Oct 06, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
Nice.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:07 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Mounted a camera to the Herr Cub over the winter. It was finally nice enough today to do a little flying and get some footage of Stafford, VA...

Tom_Herr_J-3 Cub (4 min 10 sec)