HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:30 PM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,537 Posts
Question
tricopter

hi, iam a competent fixed wing pilot and always on the look out to build something different and was looking to build a tricopter only i have a not got a clue regarding setting up gyros etc. been doing some research and starting to understand a little but still not enough to build the tricopter. framework will be easy but setting up gyros will not. which would be best use four gyros or one main control board, what is meant by gain and rate setings and which do you use. i know practise will be needed to fly successfull but are they more stable than a heli. wanted something simple to buuld and also cheap to repair. been looking at a couple of build threads here on rc groups but still not sinking in yet. could anybody enlighten me a little further regarding what looks like a fascinating feature in our rc flying. would like to add a camera if successfull but who knows.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:44 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees View Post
hi, iam a competent fixed wing pilot and always on the look out to build something different and was looking to build a tricopter only i have a not got a clue regarding setting up gyros etc. been doing some research and starting to understand a little but still not enough to build the tricopter. framework will be easy but setting up gyros will not. which would be best use four gyros or one main control board, what is meant by gain and rate setings and which do you use. i know practise will be needed to fly successfull but are they more stable than a heli. wanted something simple to buuld and also cheap to repair. been looking at a couple of build threads here on rc groups but still not sinking in yet. could anybody enlighten me a little further regarding what looks like a fascinating feature in our rc flying. would like to add a camera if successfull but who knows.
Lots of good stuff in the multirotor forum.

Are you planning on using individual gyros or an integrated flight board such as the Wii or KK?
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,058 Posts
Quote:
which would be best use four gyros or one main control board...
I recommend one of the MultiWii boards such as this. You'll still need a mini usb cable. You'll also have to get motors, ESC's, UBEC and wire to power up everything.

If you want something already made or close to it I'd looking into GAUI or Xaircraft for a quad or the Yufo if you want a ready made tricopter.

Quote:
...what is meant by gain and rate setings and which do you use...
Gain usually refers to how powerful/sensitive a gyro's output is. Less gain means less powerful.

All our hobby gyros are rate gyros. Just means that they "indicates the rate of change of angle with time". Just means they measure the angle your aircraft is rotating in for a very short, almost instantaneous, amount of time. If your aircraft if pointing up but not rotating about an axis then the gyros will read zero degrees.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:21 AM
France
Joined Nov 2008
77 Posts
A large (20" arms) tricopter is more stable than most of the fixed pitch heli.

For a classic and "cheap" tricopter build :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142429

That's the reference thread we used 2 years ago, basic build with three cheap AVCS gyros and one "rate only" gyro.The esc arming and the radio settings could be tricky .

Further in the same thread, you can check the first Flight control boards :

Cheapest KK board : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17537
With this board, you don't need the esc arming and radio program.
By the way, this is a "gyro only" board, so no "level panic" button.

The Multiwii (see Rcvert post) :
This FC board got gyros AND accelerometers, it has all the features of the KK board, but the accels make it more stable.
Best board to begin with a tricopter.

If you're only looking for a "first" multirotor, a quadcopter with a DJI Naza board seems to be be your best bet.No tricopter mode with this FC, so quad or Y6 frame.
The Naza thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536553
lebrett is offline Find More Posts by lebrett
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,537 Posts
thank you for your help. after posting this question i came across these multi boards, looks like they are more plug and play, are they more stable then multiple gyros and why do you have to connect to a pc for firmware, did try a fixed pitch heli once but after a few hovers and left and right turns ended up with a crash and these helis seemed more complicated and expensive to keep in the air but after seeing the tricopters they look quite cheap to build and maintain. dont mind paying a little more expense for the board if it gives me more stability and ease of setting up which in turn would give me more chance of success. after numerous years of building and flying fixed wing its like starting again, i fly mode 1 throttle on right with a dx7, would controls be same as a fixed wing using throttle for up and down with right stick airleron for right turn and left with left stick which i use for elevator giving me pitch and forward movement. been flying fixes wing for numerous years so this is like starting all over again so excuse me for asking what seems like stupid questions.
Last edited by glenbees; Feb 08, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:11 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Dec 2006
14 Posts
Quote:
You mean something like that?
Tricottero Ing. Markus (2 min 9 sec)

It's an old my project,very simple:4 Gyros,3 Esc,3 Bl,1 Tail servo,1 Rx,some piece of plywood ,3 piece aluminum pipe and it flies perhaps better than those with special stabilization devices....Regards
Markusab is offline Find More Posts by Markusab
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,537 Posts
yea, thats exactly what i want any build logs or instructions , could do with a idiots guide to building a tricopter.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:36 PM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Dec 2006
14 Posts
Quote:
yea, thats exactly what i want any build logs or instructions , could do with a idiots guide to building a tricopter.
Another part...

Tricottero Ing. Markus 2° Parte (1 min 1 sec)

Cheers,
Markusab is offline Find More Posts by Markusab
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,537 Posts
the tricopter looks great
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:42 PM
1400 watt RW Zephyr
Taranaki New Zealand
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricopter/tricopter.html

Best tricopter build resource on the web

Shows it with gyro and control board setups
matwelli is offline Find More Posts by matwelli
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:29 PM
France
Joined Nov 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matwelli View Post
http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricopter/tricopter.html

Best tricopter build resource on the web

Shows it with gyro and control board setups
Matt is right, I forgot this very nice link for Tricopter and KK board.

Glenbees : Using mode 1 isn't a problem, as long as you're confident with this mode ( and you should be )
Train on a simulator with heli :
1 : hovering, then side hovering and last : front hovering.
2 : Hover "tail in" 8 figure
3 : Left to right hover with rudder turns
4 : 8 figure with rudder turns

Crash with multirotors aren't cheap : the props, the motor's shafts and so on, are very exposed in case of crash.
Any failure in the "thrust chain" end with a crash. (Lipo, flight control board,gyro, esc,motor, prop failure ....)

That's why it's important to have a flight control board with a "level panic" button.
FC boards with accelerometers are a must when you begin.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,537 Posts
am i right in saying that if you use a fc board like the multiwii does this do away with the four seperate gyros on each arm and also apart from extending the wires do you plug all connections into the fc board. also seen the rc explorer site and been reading up on tricopters and will probabably copy the tricopter v2. slowly starting to sink in all this gyro stuff so please keep the imfo coming.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:01 PM
France
Joined Nov 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
am i right in saying that if you use a fc board like the multiwii does this do away with the four seperate gyros on each arm and also apart from extending the wires do you plug all connections into the fc board. also seen the rc explorer site and been reading up on tricopters and will probabably copy the tricopter v2. slowly starting to sink in all this gyro stuff so please keep the imfo coming.
You got it.With a fc board you only need esc,motors, servos (bi or tri or Vtol) no more gyros, ubec, and all thoses spaghettis wires......
but you 'll have to tune the rate and gain of the inboard gyro (that's called PID setting for multiwii)