HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:25 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,947 Posts
Here's how I have personalized my DX18. It's unique and it sure starts conversations at the flying field.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:34 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Here's how I have personalized my DX18. It's unique and it sure starts conversations at the flying field.
McD
You need feet on them fish!!
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:09 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,353 Posts
Aluminium mount for Sti.No drilling....
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:12 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,102 Posts
Nice. Can we get more pics of it and details?

I have a nice car mount for mine and haven't figured out yet how I can use it to mount on my DX18
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,353 Posts
I took out 2 screws of the gimbals, replaced them with custom M2.5 hex nuts. On 1 side I glued in 2 matching plastic screws which had the same thread like the original screws. On the backside I used the 2 screw holes of the antenna and used the 2 long screws from the gimbal.
The I-toy is fixed with some 3M dual lock tape. The only downside is that I need a screwdriver when I want to remove the I-toy mount. I think of using strong magnets to attach my mount.
Last edited by Mukenukem; Nov 18, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Cool tray, but watchout on that next idea...magnets and computers don't play well together.
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Aluminium mount for Sti.No drilling....

I like the mount! My worry would be that I'd be tempted to look down to see the display and then the nice 550 3G goes splat!
mejmea is online now Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:05 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Told you it started conversations.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:16 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Yes, it makes it easier to show that it's dead.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:43 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Cool tray, but watchout on that next idea...magnets and computers don't play well together.
They work excellent together. As long as there are no harddisks, floppies or CRTs nearby, everything is fine. The rotten fruit company uses them to attach their covers, and many notebooks use them to keep the lid closed

The 550 is "cheap" to crash, compared to the 700 (neither crashed this season )
But you are right, the last flights testing the whole sensor stuff (capacity, GPS, JLog) were no fun, just hovering around, sweating and my buddy checking the displays. My opinion: The displays are at least during flight not interesting. When I crash the heli, the GPS would be very useful.
I yould prefer more different alarm sounds. In the radio. But I think that is a feature for the forthcoming limited edition DX18XY, limited to only 1 unit....
For the indoor season I will remove the fruitbowl...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:02 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
They work excellent together. As long as there are no harddisks, floppies or CRTs nearby, everything is fine. The rotten fruit company uses them to attach their covers, and many notebooks use them to keep the lid closed

The 550 is "cheap" to crash, compared to the 700 (neither crashed this season )
But you are right, the last flights testing the whole sensor stuff (capacity, GPS, JLog) were no fun, just hovering around, sweating and my buddy checking the displays. My opinion: The displays are at least during flight not interesting. When I crash the heli, the GPS would be very useful.
I yould prefer more different alarm sounds. In the radio. But I think that is a feature for the forthcoming limited edition DX18XY, limited to only 1 unit....
For the indoor season I will remove the fruitbowl...
LOL, I could have used the GPS last spring when I crashed my 450 in some long grass and it took an hour plus to find it!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:11 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,296 Posts
Quote:
I took out 2 screws of the gimbals, replaced them with custom M2.5 hex nuts. On 1 side I glued in 2 matching plastic screws which had the same thread like the original screws. On the backside I used the 2 screw holes of the antenna and used the 2 long screws from the gimbal.
The I-toy is fixed with some 3M dual lock tape. The only downside is that I need a screwdriver when I want to remove the I-toy mount. I think of using strong magnets to attach my mount.
I'd be concerned about the aluminum interferring with the RF.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:11 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Yes, it makes it easier to show that it's dead.

Andy
Good one.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:58 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I'd be concerned about the aluminum interferring with the RF.
Fortunately we have the tools to see if you got RF-problems. Called telemetry
Absolutely no change in fades if you remove the mount. Also, the maximum distance between me and my models was 300m upwards with my glider. Mostly I fly my helis maximum 100-150m away.
Of course the signal can be shielded if the model is behind me. But typically, my models are in front of me
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:14 AM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
His units made sense - 0 is the lowest temperature he could achieve with certain salts and water, and 100 was his target for human body. Nothing wrong with them. Besides, they all convert to one another easily enough.

What I like about trainer mode is putting it on a different switch, like A, so I don't have to hold the pushbutton in. Then as soon as I move the sticks, I have control again; I don't have to think to release the button and then grab control any more.

And best of all, my finger doesn't get sore!

Andy
@Andy (or others who may have an opinion),

I noticed in another post that you said you used switch A for your retractable gear (at least on that aircraft) which make sense. If you have an aircraft with gear however, which switch do you then use for the trainer?

I really like the idea of using something other than a momentary switch for trainer, especially with Pilot link Master, and have therefore been using Switch A. Since I use the other 2 position switch (H) for throttle cut however, that means I use a 3 position switch for gear. Just curious what you and others do. My brain is simple enough that I'd like to not have things be too different between aircraft and so am just looking to see what ideas others have.

Thanks.