HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:53 AM
Vegemite Power
North California
Joined Aug 2009
288 Posts
Discussion
Pony Express in Nevada

During a recent trip to neighboring Nevada while working on a Lincoln Highway guidebook, I also began a portfolio of Pony Express Stations.

This is the station near Sand Mountain not too far from Fallon.

Grover
GroverC is offline Find More Posts by GroverC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
United States, MA, Sturbridge
Joined Jun 2008
999 Posts
Verry cool, thanks fir sharing!
slowjett is online now Find More Posts by slowjett
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:20 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
450 Posts
The Pony Express Route passes not more than a mile from where I live here in Utah....I've thought about taking some aerial shots of the stations near me, anything ever come of your portfolio?
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,311 Posts
IIRC there may be a few original Pony Express milage markers with distance from/back to Sacramento, along US HWY 50. My mother worked at Pacific House above Placerville, back in the 1930's. I may be mistaken, but believe it was also a stage stop and PE station.

Cool photo! I spent part of my summer vactions outside of Carson City, near the old prison. It's all houses out there now and the prison is gone. My grandfather, built the miner's monument in Virginia City about 1960. Your photo reminded me of my brother and I playing in the sand and sagebrush. We could go anywhere we chose, but had to be home before noon, before the afternoon heat set in. Remember the canvas waterbags everyone had on the front of their cars, back then?
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old May 05, 2013, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Here are shots from where the Pony Express began. I did these with my quad this afternoon. First is Patee House, where the office for the Pony Express was.
Next is the stable. And they also have the old "Pony Express Motel" sign that was donated to the city when the motel was torn down.
Navy Jet Mech is offline Find More Posts by Navy Jet Mech
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 05, 2013, 09:29 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
450 Posts
Very cool shots. Lots of history there for sure.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old May 05, 2013, 09:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
If you think there is lots of history in St Joseph, you should see Atchison, Ks. Home of Amelia Earhart and a place where you will see more authentic Victorian mansions than anywhere I know. This area is very rich in history. Someday soon I plan to go back to Atchison with my AP quad.
Navy Jet Mech is offline Find More Posts by Navy Jet Mech
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)