View Poll Results: Poll Closed
cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 03, 2014, 07:32 AM
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2010
64 Posts
So far, I've only met one Nirvana sailor up here besides myself and he is a younger family man who doesn't get to sail as much as I do, so I rarely see him. (you know who I'm talking about Mike)
But when we do get to race, it's always fun.

Thanks for the Kind words Rick....Yup, didn't get out much at all this summer....must make the time....alway a pleasure sailing with you......

Grav
Gravitar is offline Find More Posts by Gravitar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2014, 08:10 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitar View Post
So far, I've only met one Nirvana sailor up here besides myself and he is a younger family man who doesn't get to sail as much as I do, so I rarely see him. (you know who I'm talking about Mike)
But when we do get to race, it's always fun.

Thanks for the Kind words Rick....Yup, didn't get out much at all this summer....must make the time....alway a pleasure sailing with you......

Grav
Grav, as of this week (getting dark earlier) the group I sail with on Monday evenings (6-8pm), and Wed. afternoons (2-4 pm), have switched the Monday evening session s to Sunday afternoons at 2 pm.
If you want to join us some Sunday pm, I have some tokens that are issued to me when I buy my seasons pass to the conservation area that will get your car in for free, or if we go in the same car my pass will get us in.
It's the best place to sail I have ever been to. You'd like it!
I'm sure your Nirvana would be welcome, mine was. Great bunch of guys too.
Usually about 6 of us show up each time, some times more, sometimes less.
Our own dock, Shade tree, permanent race markers etc. Minimal weeds, deep water.
Going today actually.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Sep 04, 2014, 04:37 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,823 Posts
Those of you that remember a few years ago when I had Dennis, from Walrus sails design a B rig..because quite a few people asked about it..now, need some opinions on it, as far as a B rig being available for usage, dependant on various clubs, and events..vote time..

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2014, 07:13 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
501 Posts
Our club is mostly Nirvana boats, but tomorrow we have skippers going to the Seawind region 3 regatta in High Point, NC. Will see how Nirvana guys do against seasoned Seawind skippers.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Sep 05, 2014, 12:11 AM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Those of you that remember a few years ago when I had Dennis, from Walrus sails design a B rig..because quite a few people asked about it..now, need some opinions on it, as far as a B rig being available for usage, dependant on various clubs, and events..vote time..

Is that the same B rig gvank is making in St James? Saw it in action on regatta practice day and it looked good, but most areas probably don't get the regular high winds to need it. They use it mostly to acclimate the new guys to the Nirvana in their winds, but race with mixes of A&B sails, skippers choice, I think. It would be a nice add for the 'compleat' sailor.
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
Old Sep 05, 2014, 12:33 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Aug 2014
13 Posts
Lilleyen, thanks for your answer. I put my boat together ( came few hours ago) and tomorrow I will try the electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwilding View Post
I think you have made a great choice.
Our club has just about completed the exercise of helping 45 skippers, with varying levels of experience, to assemble 45 new Nirvanas with a variety of tuning solutions to the new adjustment mechanisms.
Peter, I have a problem. One of my sidestay came too short and without bowsie. Can you tell me if I can find these bowsies at any hobystore in my town and what size (model) the Spectra line is so I can buy some. Also with the new model please tell me if beside greasing the rudder shaft and putting the sponge under the sheets I need to do anything else ( like sealing any spot with silicone or other things). I think since the new version has different fittings I don't need to smooth or file any holes like I read earlier on the thread.

Thanks everybody for your help and warm welcome to Nirvana world. Looks so nice. I can't wait to try sail it on Sunday at the lake where two more guys have Nirvana.
palboat is offline Find More Posts by palboat
Old Sep 05, 2014, 08:13 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,823 Posts
Jp, from what I hear, its very close..Lang has the templates from Dennis on that sail..
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2014, 09:29 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
"I have a problem. One of my sidestay came too short and without bowsie. Can you tell me if I can find these bowsies at any hobystore in my town and what size (model) the Spectra line is so I can buy some. Also with the new model please tell me if beside greasing the rudder shaft and putting the sponge under the sheets I need to do anything else ( like sealing any spot with silicone or other things). I think since the new version has different fittings I don't need to smooth or file any holes like I read earlier on the thread. "(quote) palboat

Palboat,
Are you asking about the "shrouds" when you say "side stay"? Hard to image the wires are not the same length?? And that the wires are not fit with bowsies. Post a picture or two of what you have there - that would help us get you the right answer

On my Nirvana I replaced the factory set up (SS wire and bowsie tensioners) with 1 x 7 strand nylon coated SS fishing leader (30lb. test) and sailsetc SS rigging screws. I use the two clips that come on the factory wire to attach the leader to the mast connection for the shrouds.

This could be done just as easily with "spectra" line and bowsies if one was of a mind to do so.

Bowsies can be purchased on line from a number of sources. I have not found them in hobby shops in my area. Here are a few links that might be of help.

Midwest Model Yachting sells a wide range of rc sailboat hardware - here is a link to that site: http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/...cro_p_190.html

Sailsetc is one of the best sources for sailboat parts/hardware on the planet - here are a couple of links to their site for bowsies and rigging screws. Worth the time to cruise around their site. They have about anything you can image you'd need for your boat.

http://sailsetc.com/magento/index.ph...ult/?q=bowsies
http://sailsetc.com/magento/index.ph...g-rigging.html

Tower Hobbies has some as well:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEAMM&P=7

Proboat has some too: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rtr-PRB3350#t4

Tip: to expand/enlarge photos select one then double click - nice feature to let you see more details
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 05, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2014, 12:30 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Aug 2014
13 Posts
Boomer I can't write more this moment but this is what Steve from Sailrc answered:

The production company changed something by mistake (misunderstanding), and the new shroud arrangement can be difficult.

The issue is the length of the shroud without a bowsie (adjuster). It was meant to be cut to the right length, and so far we have not seen any problem with that. The issue is what you are seeing, that it is difficult to hook the shroud into the deck fitting when the mast is standing in the boat. But so far, folks have figured it out and been able to bend the mast enough to get it hooked, or spring open the hook to get it hooked and the rebend, or to hook the shroud first and then step the mast into the deck. So you might try this before you undertake re-rigging the shroud.

The part that the production company erroneously left off was the adjuster link that runs from the top of the mast to the junction of the two shrouds above the shroud ring on the mast. This adjusting link allows skippers to tension both shrouds at one time. The shroud with the adjuster at the bottom was added this production run to allow the two shrouds to be equalized in length. But the producer thought we meant to replace the original adjuster with the one-shroud adjuster!

We will be supplying the adjusting link that is missing as soon as we are able to stock the parts (bowsie and string). We did not know this section of tackle had been omitted until we started shipping boats. So for now, try rigging your boat by opening the hook a little, hooking in place and then rebending the hook, or hooking the hook first and then stepping the mast.

We are sorry for this difficulty, but the boat does operate properly albiet with a little difficulty getting the shroud hooked in the first place. Steve
Old Sep 05, 2014, 03:38 PM
Joined Jun 2013
10 Posts
Shroud Adjustment

Peter, I have a problem. One of my sidestay came too short and without bowsie. Can you tell me if I can find these bowsies at any hobystore in my town and what size (model) the Spectra line is so I can buy some. Also with the new model please tell me if beside greasing the rudder shaft and putting the sponge under the sheets I need to do anything else ( like sealing any spot with silicone or other things). I think since the new version has different fittings I don't need to smooth or file any holes like I read earlier on the thread.

Palboat, the shroud tension should adjust as the old pattern wire ones did, and some simple changes can accomplish that. You will need an extra bowsie and some line. There are numerous places on line that can supply bowsies, e.g. Brighton Boatworks http://stores.rcsailboatparts.com or Midwest Model Yachting http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com.
Here is the procedure. Cut the shrouds close to the mast crane. Tie them together in a overhand looping knot so they are attached together a little above the tang, where the forestay meets the mast, and cut off the extra line above the knot. Attach another new line from that knot through two holes of a bowsie and then up and through the mast crane and back to the bowsie third hole. This will adjust the tension in both the shrouds equally and the lower bowsie will enable the shrouds to be made the same length to ensure that the mast is vertical. You can also replace the existing shrouds with Gorilla Tough 50 lb test, or Spectra 50 lb test line at the same time. White looks nicest.
If you are unable to adjust the forestay to an adequate tension, you may have to cut the line at the bowsie knot and retie, effectively shortening the line to give more adjustment.
That should cure any adjustment problems.
peterwilding is offline Find More Posts by peterwilding
Old Sep 05, 2014, 05:42 PM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwilding View Post
Peter, I have a problem. One of my sidestay came too short and without bowsie. .....

You will need an extra bowsie and some line. There are numerous places on line that can supply bowsies,...

That should cure any adjustment problems.
Palboat, while you are waiting for a bowsie to arrive in the mail, remember you can use almost any three hole arm from a servo as a temporary/permanent fix. Just trim off, sand rough edges and thread in place and you have a bowsie.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1126
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
Old Sep 07, 2014, 03:59 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Aug 2014
13 Posts
Thank you for the help. Problems solved. Found a bowsie at a local hobbie store and used a small piece of spare string that came with the boat to make the shrouds adjustment. Boat ready to hit the water tomorrow.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 02:50 PM
United States, NC, Southport
Joined Sep 2013
49 Posts
2014 Nirvana Nationals

This video was put together by club member Dan Deets for your viewing pleasure.
Enjoy,
gvank

National Regatta July 19 20, 2014 Ver HD (4 min 35 sec)
gvank is offline Find More Posts by gvank
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:30 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,823 Posts
EXCELLENT vid..
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:42 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005