SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2002, 01:38 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
Metal to metal interference?

Hi Guys,
I am building a Fieseler Storch which has very long spindly undercarriage. The plans call for aluminium tubing to slide inside another al tube as the main leg,using neoprene tubing as a damper. As an option I have found a carbon fibre rod (from a kite) that fits nicely into 6mm aluminium tubing.
Problem is this guy in a hobby store I was visiting yesterday says if I just let aluminium rub on aluminium (or carbon),my plane will suffer from interference and crash.
When I raced rc cars we used to have problems with arials rubbing on carbon fibre chassis and causing interference but I cant see how something not directly connected to the receiver/controller circuit could cause problems?
Anyone with ideas or experience with this?
cheers Rich
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2002, 08:20 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,641 Posts
A long metal rod sliding inside a tube won't be a problem as it'll be impossible for them to make and break contact (which is what causes the noise - not rubbing) ... unless the tube is WAY too big!

The classic source of electrical noise is a metal clevis on a metal throttle arm on an IC motor, particularly if the hole for the clevis pin is a little oversize. Many manufacturers use plastic arms on their carbs now but with metal arms I always use a plastic clevis.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover