SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:34 AM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jun 2005
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
I flew from a lake yesterday for the first time..... Omg it is so much fun. Only my second time outwith the skipper... And it is awesome... Flying zippy compacts 1400 and power and vertical were great....

I understand why it's called a Skipper... Landings on water.

Video to follow hopefully.

Toppers
Congrats on the water outing !
looking forward to vid, are you running 3 cell.
Mr.frankenjet is offline Find More Posts by Mr.frankenjet
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 04:04 PM
Switzerland, OW, Sarnen
Joined May 2014
95 Posts
i ran mine on a zippy compact 35c 1600 4s but she flew like a brick. the best config imo is 4s 1000 os 3s 1300
DrBamBam is offline Find More Posts by DrBamBam
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:11 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Oct 2013
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBamBam View Post
i ran mine on a zippy compact 35c 1600 4s but she flew like a brick. the best config imo is 4s 1000 os 3s 1300
Bingo. Max 4s is 1300mah chl.. But I try not to go bigger that 1000mah 4s.
Jezzejamez is online now Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
Last edited by Jezzejamez; Aug 24, 2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:42 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.frankenjet View Post
Congrats on the water outing !
looking forward to vid, are you running 3 cell.
Yes, 3 cell 1400s

Second day at the lake.... Another 3 batteries and videoed with my keyfob can #16... Excellent vidio but no bandwidth to upload.. So will have to wait until I'm back in the city.
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:49 AM
Switzerland, OW, Sarnen
Joined May 2014
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Yes, 3 cell 1400s

Second day at the lake.... Another 3 batteries and videoed with my keyfob can #16... Excellent vidio but no bandwidth to upload.. So will have to wait until I'm back in the city.
looking forward to vids.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 01:32 AM
Charlie
United Kingdom, England, Guildford
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
How to turn better on water

Hi all, just came back from holiday in France - brought the skipper there and had a great time on the lakes. I probably ran over 30 packs through it while out there, all on water.

Here's a tip regarding turning while on water: it's a known issue that taxiing with the rudder doesn't turn it well, especially with wind, and some have cleverly added a water rudder (seen earlier in thread). I have found though, that if you apply aileron as well as rudder into the turn, it works MUCH better (even downwind). I now do full aileron and rudder whenever turning while taxiing. No need for a water rudder.

Apologies if this has already been discovered / mentioned somewhere, hope it helps you
5616 is offline Find More Posts by 5616
Old Aug 25, 2014, 04:11 AM
Helli
Poland, Dolnoslaskie, Wroclaw
Joined Jan 2013
62 Posts
Could someone please post a picture of skipper's battery space with 2200 3S battery??

Where do you put the battery to get the CG right? I know that every setup isslightly different but I would like to see yours.
WindCatcher is offline Find More Posts by WindCatcher
Old Aug 25, 2014, 04:45 AM
Switzerland, OW, Sarnen
Joined May 2014
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindCatcher View Post
Could someone please post a picture of skipper's battery space with 2200 3S battery??

Where do you put the battery to get the CG right? I know that every setup isslightly different but I would like to see yours.
all the way back up against the esc on a stock setup but i suggest using a balancer to find the sweat spot. Also with a 2200 she flys like a brick so be sure to keep your speed up especially on the turns and landing.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:03 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
699 Posts
I brought this up a few posts back but yes it needs repeating. You can use the ailerons to help when water taxiing. Great tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5616 View Post
Hi all, just came back from holiday in France - brought the skipper there and had a great time on the lakes. I probably ran over 30 packs through it while out there, all on water.

Here's a tip regarding turning while on water: it's a known issue that taxiing with the rudder doesn't turn it well, especially with wind, and some have cleverly added a water rudder (seen earlier in thread). I have found though, that if you apply aileron as well as rudder into the turn, it works MUCH better (even downwind). I now do full aileron and rudder whenever turning while taxiing. No need for a water rudder.

Apologies if this has already been discovered / mentioned somewhere, hope it helps you
Nodd is online now Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:00 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,650 Posts
That would make sense. You'd drive one wingtip down into the water and the other out of the water, which would make the waterborne tip essentially a pivot point.
TheBum is offline Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:18 PM
Charlie
United Kingdom, England, Guildford
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
Thanks Nodd. Yeh TheBum, you're right about rolling a wingtip down making it drag the plane round. What I don't understand is, how it works at low speed downwind - surely no airflow over the surfaces to make it work? I'm guessing perhaps the prop suction draws in enough airflow from in front, to pass over the ailerons to give them authority.

Ah well, no matter what the physics is, I guess all that matters is it works
5616 is offline Find More Posts by 5616
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:53 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
699 Posts
As I mentioned in my earlier post, at ultra low speed you can drag an aileron in the water (assuming you have enough throw). That helps drag that wing around. No aerodynamics involved, just one aileron in the water.

And at higher speeds when air does start to play a role, that pushes one wingtip into the water which has the same effect, drags that side of the plane around.
Nodd is online now Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Aug 28, 2014, 01:47 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jan 2013
54 Posts
So I had a scary lipo fire while charging the other day — has anyone tried LiFe batteries in the Skipper?
_nicos is offline Find More Posts by _nicos
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:14 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,989 Posts
I finally got the chance to try flying off water, and it was interesting. Taking off from snow is too easy, and it comes up surprisingly well off grass. Today the wind was calm and the lake was like glass. I have to use full up elevator and when it finally releases from the surface it goes straight up. Is there a trick to making more scale looking takeoffs? I'm wondering if I need more travel on the elevator, or just need to build up more speed.

This plane just became mine this morning. My beginner friend bought it last winter, and after seeing it fly, he decided that he wasn't ready for it. I did a fair bit of work to straighten the stabilizer and paint it up so that he wouldn't have trouble with orientation if he ever got up the nerve to fly. So far I'm the only person who has flown it.

Today I asked if he wanted to sell it and he gave it to me for free. It was a much appreciated thanks for all the help I have given him and the planes that he crashed and I fixed. This one is going to be a lot of fun. After the flights I put an APC 6x4 prop on thanks to recommendations on this thread, but haven't tried it yet. Maybe a bit of extra thrust will help it to break free of the water's surface.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:30 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jan 2013
54 Posts
A nice karmic gift

I find it needs some groundspeed before lifting off from water if it's trimmed properly with the CoG not too far forward, it should only need a little elevator...
_nicos is offline Find More Posts by _nicos