HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:09 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,934 Posts
there is this

and this

and more from this thread here >> http://www.sr20-forum.com/general-sr...induction.html enjoy

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2013, 09:59 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,203 Posts
Oh, it will never work (sarcasm) LOL
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing small parts
Old Oct 26, 2013, 05:40 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,934 Posts
You know what i think the main problem is when you mention electric superchargers, most people think of the eBay leaf blower type rubbish and instantly snigger and say it wont work, but there are people out there who have good workable systems.

Personally if I was to try this I'd go for something like a scorpion HKIII-5035 410kv on 12s with a belt drive system similar to the second pic I posted above, use the motor geared down to somewhere about 1.5:1 to 2:1 and that would spin a dual intermediary pulley at about 10,000rpm, then use the second side of the intermediary pulley to spin a rotrex c30 charger with a pulley with the right diameter to get it spinning in the right range for your psi or best efficiency range. Though using a complete rotrex instead of just the cold side housing and compressor wheel of a turbo would up the costs somewhat, it takes away the need for the motor to be turning crazy rpm's to get the compressor in its best efficiency range and gives a more workable solution imho

Phil
Old Oct 26, 2013, 09:15 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,107 Posts
Do any experienced blower people really believe they can beat a Nitrous Oxide system ?

If they just want to have a shiny motor driven blower. Hook up any industrial rated servo motor. With HIGH VOLTAGE windings to reduce the excessive high current demands of our RC motors.

Everything has been done somehow someway by someone in the past. Rarely do we create something totally new anymore.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 27, 2013, 05:35 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,441 Posts
Yes, a blower will not a supercharger. With a blower you usually have the bottom end built to take the punishment. Nitrous only burns up the motor faster, not conducive for contiguous running....
have you all noticed the step up pulleys on that nissan belt driven turbo?
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Oct 27, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,107 Posts
The power level is for 2 % of the time. Stated by the original poster. A supercharger is a class of blower. I think those black rubber rings are in fact the rubber isolation mounting brackets.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 09:53 AM
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,934 Posts
No its a belt driven gearbox, like i mentioned in my post above
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,107 Posts
O k
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:38 AM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Do any experienced blower people really believe they can beat a Nitrous Oxide system ?
I am experienced. NHRA Top Alcohol funny car Crew Chief from 2001-2011 finished 10th place nationally in '05. Working on/building drag cars/hotrods professionally for the last 23 years
nitrous vs supercharged debate
look at Pro Mods. You know, the 3-4k HP drag cars. The class that has both nitrous and supercharged power plants.
Official NHRA ET record- Melanie Troxel 5.77-1/4 mile- Twin Turbos
Unofficial -Scotty Canon 5.73 . I believe it was a screw type supercharger but may have been a roots. memory fails me.
Actually the nitrous cars are competitive but a slight advantage to supercharged cars, probably a more consistent, broader power curve but both making similar peak power

"Blower" is slang for any forced induction setup but usually belt driven roots, centrifugal, screw or correct in describing the pump that scavenges a 2 stroke diesel.
All forced induction is called "Supercharging" and can include roots, screw, centrifugal (usually engine driven), turbos (exhaust driven centrifugal) axial, etc. post 61 is a motor driven centrifugal
this was all established long before the Honda/rice burner generation came along
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill clark; Oct 28, 2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 05:35 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillzillaAus View Post
Genius.
You should be an engine tuner.
Obviously. Superchargers didn't work in Cords, Bentleys, many modern Mercedes, Spitfires, Me 109s, etc. They just fitted them to occupy their idle hours at the factory.

Duty cycle? Dunno. They are much better than turbochargers at low engine rpm. Match an automatic transmission well. That's the main reason (I think) why Mercedes uses them in their smaller cars. 'Kompressor' looks good on the back too. 'Turbo' is as common as muck.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Last edited by Mark Powell; Nov 07, 2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 05:45 AM
Sand it round!
Brisbane Australia
Joined Oct 2004
720 Posts
Looks awesome happy harry. Good work.
DennisRB is offline Find More Posts by DennisRB
Old Nov 10, 2013, 04:51 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
224 Posts
It is funny to see when people say " that will never work" , then once that some thing is highly successful they say " why didn't I think of that?" Lol
fusionsx00 is offline Find More Posts by fusionsx00