Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:15 AM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Discussion
Trainer Switch Reassignment

Got a question about the Spektrum DX-8 Trainer Button:

I am entering the FPV arena of our hobby. Since our club regs require a visual spotter co-pilot, I have a buddy box trainer cable setup on my Spektrum DX-8. This way, if the video link fails, we can maintain control of the plane. Also, I use the slave Tx to allow others to experience goggle-FPV piloting while I retain control of the master Tx.

I'd like to reassign the trainer function to another switch that is non-momentary, so that I don't have to hold the button down constantly. My finger gets cramps! Also, the head tracking function appears to be activated through the trainer cable, so a non-momentary switch would be preferable.

I've read that others have physically replaced the button, but I wanted to do it through programming if possible, but I haven't had any success.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Last edited by Robert Stinson; Dec 05, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:22 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,426 Posts
You don't mention what radio you're using.

The DX10t, DX18, and DX18QQ allow you to select any switch for trainer.

I do a lot of training for our club, and I always use my DX18 for it. I use switch A (Gear) with Master Override enabled. This takes care of not having to hold the switch in. As soon as I move the controls, I regain it until I cycle A again.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:29 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Dx-8
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:35 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,426 Posts
DX8 trainer switch is not mappable.

The only way to do it would be to put a toggle in there, and then you'd have to manually flip it to regain control. And it would mess up binding a bit too.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:18 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Andy, thanks for the quick response. A follow up question, what would the binding problem be? If the toggle was in, say, position zero, that would be "bind or trainer, off", and position one would be "on". Turning on the tx at zero would be normal operation. Turning the tx on at "one" would be for binding until the process completed. Switching it to "one" while the tx is already on would activate the trainer function, and for me the head tracking function. Is that right, or am I missing an unintended consequence?

I'm not worried about the "dead man switch" for training recovery functionality, since I don't do that hardly at all.

And yeah, I know the warranty issue, but I bought my DX8 the first day it appeared at our store, so it's a veteran!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
365 Posts
They sell mini switches that are Momentary ON in one direction, off in Neutral, and ON in the other direction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-SINGLE...item48428be481

That would be what your asking for. You could wire it in place of the existing button to use it for both bind (Momentary), and locked ON for Trainer.
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:36 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Oh, perfect.. Excellent, thanks Barry.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:38 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,827 Posts
You will still have the issue with the Bind Process if you forget the switch in the ON position.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:33 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
365 Posts
You could add a timer to disable the 'dead man switch' during boot up of your DX8 so as to prevent the transmitter from going into 'bind' mode.

Here's a timer switch. The listing shows a circuit driving a separate relay that could be connected to the dead man switch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1s-20h-Adjus...21035621509%26
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020