HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:09 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooni79 View Post
So what are people using for rates etc?
Also, how has everyone approached the receiver hatch dilemma? Care to share a photo of your problem solving?
Hopefully will maiden this guy next week if the weather holds up.
Place a piece of double-sided tape on the front and back underside edges (the ones that touch the metal wing braces). That will keep that hatch on really well.

- Larry
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:04 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
Place a piece of double-sided tape on the front and back underside edges (the ones that touch the metal wing braces). That will keep that hatch on really well.

- Larry
+1

Make sure to put the tape on the foam and than press on the metal well.
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
I'm selling my peaks if anyone is interested: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1606678

taking out electronics if I cannot sell locally. Flys great, just eats up too much room in my makeshift hangar.
PM Sent
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,556 Posts
Deleted
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Last edited by FlyWW1; Mar 18, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:49 PM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Hi guys,
I maidened my Python this morning. I was a little nervous due to the grass strip I fly off, and this proved to be a valid concern!
Take off was uneventful, and she few beautifully, with two clicks of down elevator, and one or right aileron.
I cruised around for 5 mins just getting a feel for her, a few rolls, and a loop or two. Nothing special.
She slows down really nicely for landing, and I greased her in, but she nosed over into a full flip! The wheel pants were full of grass clippings and completely jammed up, so no more flight for me today until I get her sorted sans wheel pants
Slightly longer bolts are required and a nylon lock nut should do the trick nicely, and I may even get some slightly larger wheels for her also.
The guys at the club were all over her, and it was 20 questions as soon as I brought her in. they were all very impressed with her to say the least.
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:57 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,
I maidened my Python this morning. I was a little nervous due to the grass strip I fly off, and this proved to be a valid concern!
Take off was uneventful, and she few beautifully, with two clicks of down elevator, and one or right aileron.
I cruised around for 5 mins just getting a feel for her, a few rolls, and a loop or two. Nothing special.
She slows down really nicely for landing, and I greased her in, but she nosed over into a full flip! The wheel pants were full of grass clippings and completely jammed up, so no more flight for me today until I get her sorted sans wheel pants
Slightly longer bolts are required and a nylon lock nut should do the trick nicely, and I may even get some slightly larger wheels for her also.
The guys at the club were all over her, and it was 20 questions as soon as I brought her in. they were all very impressed with her to say the least.
Let us know how she fairs with the wheel pants off in grass, I was thinking of the same thing and giving it a few degree of forward rake
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,556 Posts
I just got done changing my wheels to a 2" rubber wheel. Take off and landings are 10x better. I have rough grass and wasn't able to take off with the stock wheels and now it can taxi and take off with ease Best of all they fit in the stock wheel pants. I'm not sure why they choose to put foam wheels on this in the first place but the rubber and size upgrade is a huge improvement.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:16 AM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
I just got done changing my wheels to a 2" rubber wheel. Take off and landings are 10x better. I have rough grass and wasn't able to take off with the stock wheels and now it can taxi and take off with ease Best of all they fit in the stock wheel pants. I'm not sure why they choose to put foam wheels on this in the first place but the rubber and size upgrade is a huge improvement.
Thats great news! I'ma do that today! Which wheels did you get? Dubros?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,009 Posts
[QUOTE=FlyWW1;21098608]
I'm not sure why they choose to put foam wheels on this in the first place

For lighter weight (better for 3D flying)
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,556 Posts
[QUOTE=flydown;21099161]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
I'm not sure why they choose to put foam wheels on this in the first place

For lighter weight (better for 3D flying)
Only problem is they aren't that much lighter You would never notice a difference even if they were 2x as heavy. Mine look like Dubro but they are some I had laying around from one of my jets. They are kind of thin so I had to put 3 washers on each axle to eliminate slop.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:33 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,174 Posts
Lhs didn't have any dubros in stock, so ordered some 2" dubro foams and some 2.25" low bounce rubbers. I like the idea of a larger wheel for grass, so I'll test em both, the 2.25" should fit with a bit of dremeling
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:27 PM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Tried the stock wheels with no pants on today. Still not very good. Will get some 2 or 2.5 inch foam dubro's.
I also noticed today that 2 of the screws holding the top wing on have diasppeared, I had double checked them but didn't use thread lock, so would be worth checking yours guys.

Also, I think one of my aileron servo's is not 100%. I only have HXT-900's in my kit, will they do?
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,556 Posts
Quote:
Tried the stock wheels with no pants on today. Still not very good. Will get some 2 or 2.5 inch foam dubro's.
I also noticed today that 2 of the screws holding the top wing on have diasppeared, I had double checked them but didn't use thread lock, so would be worth checking yours guys.

Also, I think one of my aileron servo's is not 100%. I only have HXT-900's in my kit, will they do?
Thread lock or CA is a must on those screws. HXT900 would be fine. I couldn't get my servos out of the wing without ripping a hole in the wing The foam is pretty thin where the servo is and what ever glue they used on mine will not let go. So I left them in Let us know if you are able to do it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:15 PM
Luck is my skill
Joined Jun 2009
1,174 Posts
Maybe cut the foam around the outline of the servo and pull the stock servo out with the top foam. Than cut the foam off the old servo, put it on the new servo and install.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Today, I discovered the difference between an 'aerobatic' plane and an 'acrobatic' one. Aerobatic are stunts and tricks in the air, while acrobatic is a triple flip on the ground, as mine did today. The elevator servo seized up today in flight. I somehow managed to bring it in for a landing. Rather than land on the paved runway, I chose to land on the grass. I couldn't slow the plane down enough so as I landed, the front two wheels caught the grass and the plane did a triple flip! They on-lookers gave me an average score of 8 out of 10 on the stunt. The great thing about this story is that there is ZERO damage! I just need to find a replacement 17G servo for the rudder.

What a day!

- Larry
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan