Closed Thread
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:13 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
........your camera will be bricked! Just a friendly warning.....
I'm not interested.....but, it seems to me since they're going to probably brick their camera anyway wouldn't be better to go ahead and buy a new #18 FIRST. That way, when their # 11 gets toasted they'll still have a camera to do video. Maybe take a vid of the correct procedure to turn your #11 into a $40 paperweight

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:49 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
Actually, Im pretty sure i meant to type usb connector, but somehow, i typed chip

The previous post mentioning changing the firmware names.. is a post I made, if you double check

My #11 is running the latest #18 firmware. it's not bricked.

so, you're saying theres no accessible pin for vout from the chip. that's too bad
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:15 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabba View Post
I'm not interested.....but, it seems to me since they're going to probably brick their camera anyway wouldn't be better to go ahead and buy a new #18 FIRST. That way, when their # 11 gets toasted they'll still have a camera to do video. Maybe take a vid of the correct procedure to turn your #11 into a $40 paperweight

Yabba
Hi Yabba!

Saw you pop up here, also on the Polaris thread, (my next plane)

I'm still flying a few estarters, like here. Took a while to get the cg ok. This is #11 with wa lens. I might change to #18 firmware with namechanged #18 firmware, but not soon. Might have better color stability.

e-Week e-Starter @ TT (2 min 23 sec)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:19 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
note that i changed the fw with a v1 #11, and uhm, of course, switching fw is at your own risk. (just in case)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:14 PM
Brasil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Aug 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
note that i changed the fw with a v1 #11, and uhm, of course, switching fw is at your own risk. (just in case)
my 3 v1 #11s are now using the #18 configurable firmware. The image quality is similar to #18, much better than before and without the AWB issue.
Now testing the configurations, but so far, everything is working, even the motion detection. the process is very simple, just rename the #18 firmware to FW96630A.BIN and load it. is reversible too, just load the #11 original firmware and it's back. The camera always look for a file named FW96630A.BIN.
The only problem I find in my tests is: when record til the end of battery charge, the last file is corrupted, but I don't know if this occur with the #18 with the new firmware too. To me looks like the camera keeps running with the voltage too low. Lot of artifacts in the last minutes of video.
caldas2112 is offline Find More Posts by caldas2112
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:24 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,393 Posts
Mine are v1.

Does the firmware auto load or is it necessary to hold down the front button like #16? OK, I see the instructions packaged with the v2 #11 firmware state that it auto-loads.

Thanks!
Last edited by victapilot; Oct 08, 2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: I read the instructions hehe
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:43 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,053 Posts
the fw auto load indeed
don't forget to use the config tool to configure the #18 fw when it's running
to me the #11 (v1 at least) looks just like my #18, except i can't get the video/audio out so far ;p

that being said the out of the #18 isn't so good either, the image is a lot better with a separate camera. as a standalone cam converted to #18 its pretty good.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:01 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Does the firmware auto load or is it necessary to hold down the front button like #16?
The #16 FW auto loads! You must be thinking of loading in a config file manually to change camera settings, which does require holding down the shutter button. But with the latest FW (v0.41) and it's companion Windows GUI program, it only takes a mouse click to load in new FW once the camera is connected as a removeable drive. No more messing with config files or button presses is needed for loading FW or changing camera settings. It's all handled via the GUI via direct communication with the camera via the USB data port.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:10 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
the fw auto load indeed
don't forget to use the config tool to configure the #18 fw when it's running
to me the #11 (v1 at least) looks just like my #18, except i can't get the video/audio out so far ;p

that being said the out of the #18 isn't so good either, the image is a lot better with a separate camera. as a standalone cam converted to #18 its pretty good.
What means v1?

I have a #11 that is over 1 year old ... will be taking #18 firmware?
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:14 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,393 Posts
There are pictures at the start of this thread, but if you have the old style USB connector, it is probably v1.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:01 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
There are pictures at the start of this thread, but if you have the old style USB connector, it is probably v1.
All pictures on first page are looking with the same standard microUSB plug

My battery is not connected as any pictures there ... is has 1 cable on one side of pcb and one on the other side ....
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:30 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post

My battery is not connected as any pictures there ... is has 1 cable on one side of pcb and one on the other side ....
That wiring scheme was used on some v1 cameras. It is not recommended that v1 models be flashed with v2 FW.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:17 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post

This maybe the key indicator "The latest camera versions (v2) appear to have a different CMOS sensor based on the different ribbon cable trace pattern and a number (C971P) printed on it, but this has not been confirmed"

This note on the page for V2 firmware "WARNING! This firmware is ONLY usable with the new version 2 #11, easily recognized by its smaller, non-standard 8-pin miniUSB plug. Do NOT attempt to install this in the original #11 cameras! "

Has anybody flashed the #18 firmware on a cam with a C971P sensor cable?
Last edited by victapilot; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:47 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,698 Posts
Quote:
This maybe the key indicator "The latest camera versions (v2) appear to have a different CMOS sensor based on the different ribbon cable trace pattern and a number (C971P) printed on it, but this has not been confirmed"

This note on the page for V2 firmware "WARNING! This firmware is ONLY usable with the new version 2 #11, easily recognized by its smaller, non-standard 8-pin miniUSB plug. Do NOT attempt to install this in the original #11 cameras! "

Has anybody flashed the #18 firmware on a cam with a C971P sensor cable?
So ... only difference between V1 and V2 is the C971P sensor ?

Mine has a C971P FCT sign on the cable ... but has the red battery line that go on the other side of the board ... so .. what it is ?

In the picture of the V1, it is not visible the sign over the cable ...
In the pictures here ... all PCB have a microUSB

So a part from some difference between V2 and V3 about some transistor relocation ... there is not visible any other difference ...

For me it is all very confusing

Clearly ... in this status ... I keep my #11 as it is ...

But ... move to #18 firmware is tempting

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Hi Yabba!

Saw you pop up here, also on the Polaris thread, (my next plane)

I'm still flying a few estarters, like here. Took a while to get the cg ok. This is #11 with wa lens. I might change to #18 firmware with namechanged #18 firmware, but not soon. Might have better color stability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y7x...e_gdata_player
Hi Victa,

Yep, that EZStarter looks like a real Wattgobbler

You need to flash the #18 firmware and go get some more videos of those wild turkeys at your field.

Re: Polaris, BUILD ONE ! Quick. You'll love it.

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Closed Thread