Closed Thread
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:16 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elshiftos View Post
Slightly OT with current posts but, has anyone had an email response back from either eletop or htinter?

I've mailed the former about a no-show and the latter (twice) about a potential DOA. Over a week has gone by and neither have responded.
I'm also waiting for a reply from eletoponline365 as well about camera problems. If I don't get any sort of response after a week, I'll be leaving negative feedback and contacting paypal.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:07 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newer View Post
Thanks a lot, I'll try that!
Using alcohol sounds safer than using acetone
In addition to Tom's tip about using isopropyl alcohol from the local drug store, when using cleaning fluids you should always apply from below. i.e. with the lens pointing downwards. This will prevent the alcohol from getting onto the CMOS sensor (gravity!).
Pure Isopropyl alcohol is wonderful stuff for cleaning lenses and electronic parts, but if you've got sticky gunk on your lens you may have to use a few Q-Tips soaked in isopropyl alcohol (keep the lens pointed downwards!).
We used to use it for cleaning magnetic tape heads, in the good old days when tapes were used for data storage.
I always have a bottle on my desk. You can also clean your office phone or your keyboard with it. I even use it to clean my plastic mouse pad. It's not a "gunk" solvent, but it's a good cleaner for small parts

Do not use acetone! Acetone will dissolve plastic. Never use acetone on plastic - never. Acetone is good for cleaning up flux from printed circuit boards, or generally cleaning printed circuit boards before/after soldering or prior to sealing.
Acetone should never come into contact with plastic though - the #11 lens is plastic!
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:25 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Slightly OT with current posts but, has anyone had an email response back from either eletop or htinter?

I've mailed the former about a no-show and the latter (twice) about a potential DOA. Over a week has gone by and neither have responded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
I'm also waiting for a reply from eletoponline365 as well about camera problems. If I don't get any sort of response after a week, I'll be leaving negative feedback and contacting paypal.
I thought the cameras were always sent by registered mail, in which case this is a postal problem.

However, not replying to email is not a good sign. I too am waiting for a reply from eletoponline365, so I hope the sellers don't degrade their up-to-now excellent reputation by not replying to emails...
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:24 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
My HD Key cam stopped recording after 20 minutes

It just automatically shut down after 20-minute of recording.
It didn't continue recording as a separate file but just shut down completely.
The battery did not run out becuase the power went back on after I pressed the button.
Does anyone have the same problem?
Any suggestion on how to fix it?

btw, I did update my firmware to release 2.
mistylake is offline Find More Posts by mistylake
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:35 AM
Joined Jul 2011
8 Posts
I ordered a regular keyfob from the htinter website and a jumbo from the eletoponline365 ebay store on 16th July.

Both of these appear as eletoponline365 in my paypal account, which would indicate it's the same people.

The htinter fob was delivered to the UK in approx 2 weeks. I have been emailing them since day 2 regarding image distortion, which I believe to be a fault (see my previous posts), but so far no response.

I am still waiting for the jumbo from the ebay store and they haven't responded to my messages.

Yesterday, I sent a general enquiry to hxelepro360 about stock and delivery times. Diana has since replied twice, giving camera advice, and also explaining that the delays were due to increased security during the world university games currently taking place in china.
elshiftos is offline Find More Posts by elshiftos
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:28 AM
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nageotte View Post
I got the #11 and used it three times with good results. I went to use it today and I push the power button, get the yellow light and a short flash. The yellow light then remains on and I push the shutter button, nothing happens. Yellow light remains lit. Now what?
The same fault as mine now! But I thought I'd ruined mine while I was trying to unscrew the lens to clean behind it. Could I try re-flashing?, I suppose I've nothing to lose?
(I've already tried the reset button).
modea2 is offline Find More Posts by modea2
Last edited by modea2; Aug 09, 2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:42 AM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,356 Posts
Common prolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by modea2 View Post
The same fault as mine now! But I thought I'd ruined mine while I was trying to unscrew the lens to clean behind it. Could I try re-flashing?, I suppose I've nothing to lose?
(I've already tried the reset button).
This may be a common problem. I have had other reports. Anyone else? Wonder if the vendor can help at all.
nageotte is offline Find More Posts by nageotte
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:28 AM
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nageotte View Post
This may be a common problem. I have had other reports. Anyone else? Wonder if the vendor can help at all.
Very Interesting! Perhaps my problem with the cam was not dirt after all then?
I'm going to try a re-flash al-la the "Techmoan" site. I'll report if it fixes the problem.
modea2 is offline Find More Posts by modea2
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:10 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,909 Posts
I just received mine and made a quick recording in the garden. I must say I am extremely impressed with the quality but time will tell if it holds up. Amazing diffrence between this and my other non-HD keychain cam.

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:02 PM
utx
Joined Apr 2011
26 Posts
Charger detection - use standard USB charger to charge while recording

I researched the camera circuit a bit and created a modification that allows to switch between USB modes and recording while charging automatically. My V2 camera can use the standard car power supply now and charges during recording (the battery is not nearly depleted after car recording). When connected to the computer, it switches to the USB Mass Storage Mode as it did before.

I just created a small detection board and wired it inside the camera. It would be especially useful for people with a V2 or older, but it would allow people with V3 to use a standard charger.

hardware modification
utx is offline Find More Posts by utx
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:15 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Quote:

You may want to check and make sure your email provider is not blocking messages from eletop or htinter as spam, I have egg on my face this week because I thought headsuprc was not responding to my emails, they were but my emial provider blocked their messages as spam, just a thought...

bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:48 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
One more idea to power the 720p camera is to solder a servo wire to where the battery was connected to and connect it to your receiver, I've done it dozens of times with 5-5.5v power and its worked flawlessly...

Does anyone know a way how to make these internal batteries last longer than 2 or 3 months ? (I wish mine lasted that long) I imagine since it has a software on/off switch it always has a tiny drain on the battery.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by utx View Post
I researched the camera circuit a bit and created a modification that allows to switch between USB modes and recording while charging automatically. My V2 camera can use the standard car power supply now and charges during recording (the battery is not nearly depleted after car recording). When connected to the computer, it switches to the USB Mass Storage Mode as it did before.

I just created a small detection board and wired it inside the camera. It would be especially useful for people with a V2 or older, but it would allow people with V3 to use a standard charger.

hardware modification
I can only say WOW!

You are amazing! Excellent description, and very well written article. I love it.

I am very tempted to try your modification, but as I see it, you can't etch this tiny board yourself. Am I right? I have never attempted etching boards for SMD components with amateur equipment (i.e. ferric acid, or similar in a tray). Getting it commercially etched would most probably cost as much as the camera itself. So, did you etch it yourself?
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:38 PM
utx
Joined Apr 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I am very tempted to try your modification, but as I see it, you can't etch this tiny board yourself. Am I right? I have never attempted etching boards for SMD components with amateur equipment (i.e. ferric acid, or similar in a tray). Getting it commercially etched would most probably cost as much as the camera itself. So, did you etch it yourself?
Netto price of all parts used is about 80 cents and the board was completely done at home. If you look at the detail of the board, you can see no-copper-bubbles caused by the bad coverage of the photoresist spray - an apparent sign of hobby work. (This is my second SMD board ever done.)

Semiconductors are from Farnell (Newark, if you are in the USA, or Digikey). Passive parts were purchased as a kit of several thousands pieces from a Chinese seller on Ebay. (If you plan to do more experiments, it makes no sense to buy passive parts in pieces - price may easily differ 100 times. I made pcb with a photoresist spray and a template on transparent film. (Laser printers manufactured before year 2000 are probably the best choice, as they do not have advanced toner saving and black patterns have better opacity than modern printers have.) Then it was developed and etched in ferric acid. Then I tested UV curable soldering mask for the first time, Then I manually applied a soldering paste and placed parts with tweezers.

And finally I did a reflow. There is nothing special here. Just see a photo of my SMD reflow equipment: a hotplate of an old gas oven, a cheap infrared thermometer. The only more expensive tool is the nice gas soldering iron kit Portasol Pro Piezo (~$100).

I want to prepare and article about that. (When it appears, then it will be added to Related on my web.)

Well, I spent days by reading articles before I started to play with SMD parts and this is my early experiment. But now I am not dependent only on the stuff manufacturers do for us.

If there would be more people who want to use this board, it could make sense to create a batch (PCB or the whole board) from a professional company.
utx is offline Find More Posts by utx
Old Aug 09, 2011, 06:07 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,542 Posts
Quote:
I ordered a regular keyfob from the htinter website and a jumbo from the eletoponline365 ebay store on 16th July.
Yesterday, I sent a general enquiry to hxelepro360 about stock and delivery times. Diana has since replied twice, giving camera advice, and also explaining that the delays were due to increased security during the world university games currently taking place in china.
Apparently you didn't read my post about the shipping delays...
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Closed Thread