HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:28 AM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Absolutely perfect, Rick! I couldn't agree more. Though my age is only 40, by your definition, I'm an Old Fart too and proud of it!

On a more somber note- I was just over at RCU and for the first time in more than 2 years the Wheee....... thread is no longer on the first page on the Efite forum...............
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2010, 01:14 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
That's a good write up Rick. I'm with Jim though @ 35 yrs of age most fit me so I guess I'm an Old Fart as well. Maybe more like Old School. I was raised with parents who taught me the importance of respect and being a responsible, capable person.
I now pass these vaules on to my kid. For example~ He opened my truck door and hit the car beside us just once. I explained to him how disrespectful that was and he needs to be more careful. He's never just flung a car door open ever again and that was when he was 6 yrs old. He will also hold the door for anyone. I pray he continues on the right track to be an Old Fart as well.

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Mar 21, 2010, 03:28 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Good one Rick,

I think, regardless of age, we have a lot of Old Farts here. It's a good place to hang out and swap lies and stories.

Nothing going on here heli wise with me, I'm in another holding pattern with the 450 Pro. If you remember, I stripped the front umbrella gear set on the TT.
Got that in and made a test flight, only to find out I had a vibration at mid throttle. I found that to be a bent torque tube. The HK 450 Pro TT uses an solid aluminum shaft. I tried to straighten it, but actually made it worse. So, I ordered 2X Align tubes that are carbon fiber and don't bend. (They will break though) Last two days, it's been rather cool and windy.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:39 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Making Kyle Feel Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracus View Post
I had 1 1/2 good flights 1st was just hovering around checking everything out, 2nd was idle up hovering, forward and back(tail-in) and few piros with some wind 7-10mph, 1/2 way thru I piro'd right and lost too much altitude gave some thr to keep from hitting the ground and had a boom strike(almost chopped he boom in half). I broke afew things and I will get it up again in no time.
Well Kyle,
I am running out of Blade 400's to total lol. My 400-1 is still sitting on the shelf needing a new frame and other parts, but I did not want to rebuilt it. Now today, in the glare of the sun and it being overcast it was nearly impossible to see they heli when she slipped over to the sunny side of the field. I fought like a dog to save her BUT she was heading right for me inverted, I mean right at ME. It was me or the ground. I was so sure I would be hit after I throttled her down I turned my back to the heli and my feet were still planted, there was not time to even take a step. BANG she hit the ground 6 feet from me on the runway. I had been flying easy as this was my first heli flight of the day. My little voice told me to be REAL careful in this glare but I thought I could deal with it, with a hat and sun glasses. Apparently not This heli is totalled. The only thing left is the motor, servos 3, and the CF tail fin. For the first time in my 2.5 years I had a rc smoke and start a fire via the ESC. Believe it or not the battery took a hit but appears to be OK. But she is buried deep in my (Jay type) cinder block bunker just in case.
Now its time to jump on to the new 450 TT Pro kit sitting on the shelf. Gedder done I say.
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Mar 21, 2010, 06:59 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
JPEE / Sketti,

Sorry to hear about the mishaps today, but on the good side, you didn't get hurt.
Coming at ya is a truly threatening experience. I'm impressed that you turned you back to the heli and let happen what may with the heli, That can be replaced. Injuries in this hobby can be dramatic, we've all seen pictures of those.
I've been lucky, I do have a few scars, but never stiches.

Those Pictures, look like "Opps 1, Opps 2 and Opps 3"

Need any thing on the 450 pro tt build, give me a shout. It's pretty straight forward though.. Do take the main shaft holder thingies out, to mount your servos, remember you're buddies outside elevator servo..

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Well Kyle,
I am running out of Blade 400's to total lol. My 400-1 is still sitting on the shelf needing a new frame and other parts, but I did not want to rebuilt it. Now today, in the glare of the sun and it being overcast it was nearly impossible to see they heli when she slipped over to the sunny side of the field. I fought like a dog to save her BUT she was heading right for me inverted, I mean right at ME. It was me or the ground. I was so sure I would be hit after I throttled her down I turned my back to the heli and my feet were still planted, there was not time to even take a step. BANG she hit the ground 6 feet from me on the runway. I had been flying easy as this was my first heli flight of the day. My little voice told me to be REAL careful in this glare but I thought I could deal with it, with a hat and sun glasses. Apparently not This heli is totalled. The only thing left is the motor, servos 3, and the CF tail fin. For the first time in my 2.5 years I had a rc smoke and start a fire via the ESC. Believe it or not the battery took a hit but appears to be OK. But she is buried deep in my (Jay type) cinder block bunker just in case.
Now its time to jump on to the new 450 TT Pro kit sitting on the shelf. Gedder done I say.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:32 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Man JPEE!
Glad you didn't get hurt! I know how the overcast/and sunlight can invert your vision and you loose perspective.
I hope your house remodel is going well. Don't let those drywallers get away with any bad work!!! I'm willing to testify

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Mar 21, 2010, 07:46 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Well Kyle,
Ouch! That is nasty lookin, I just glad you didnt get hit. Just wasnt the weekend for flying I guess. I got about $50 needed in parts for the EXI and a servo case for my 9650.
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:12 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
JPEE gets the "Crash of the Month" award for March. Oh wait......the month isn't over yet! There may still be time to submit more entries!

So gald YOU weren't hurt JPEE. The heli is replaceable; people, limbs, or eyes are NOT!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:20 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the "be careful wishes" it was the closest I have ever been to getting hurt in the hobby as I said.

Jay,
I will fly you in as a "Professional Witness" if needed ...thanks!

Chopper,
Thanks for the support on the 450 build, if I needjah I'll come ah callinn

Kyle,
I beat you on the $50.00 LOL by far! I am glad your parts are on the way and you'll get that bird back up there in the sky.

Smiles Around The House.............JPEE, the Luckiest Guy in the world!
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:58 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Setting goals?

Just an off the wall question for everyone. Do any of you set goals for a flying season to accomplish? Usually at the start of a flying season I tryn to think of things I'd like to acomplish during the year. Maybe learn a new maneuver, purchase and/or build a new type aircraft I have never flown before, spend more time flying, etc.....

This year I'm hoping to get more comfortable flying knife edge with a plane. I can do it for a pass but am hoping to get to do a complete circuit in knife edge. Same thing with inverted flight.

From a heli perspective, hoping to be able to "mow the lawn" in inverted hover and also learn to fly backwards for a complete circuit. If that is accomplished early enough in the season I'd like to give funnels a try.

As for a new type aircraft I'm thinking a bipe or a jet. I have never owned either so that would be new to me. Leaning to a bipe right now. Maybe a Pitts.

Any of you ever set these type goals or am I that strange?

Jim
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:54 PM
United States, HI, Lanai City
Joined Oct 2009
136 Posts
Checking to see if this works... LMAO ! So I've been off RCU for 28 days, and now I got to try and catch up here as well ! Lol... But all is well, and at least I know where my friends are at. I have moved and now got a slightly bigger front yard so that is kinda cool. I'am tempted to fly one of my planes, but its still tight for that. I think... Jay could, but not me !

Well, I'll see ya all in a week when I get caught up !
J-MICHAEL is offline Find More Posts by J-MICHAEL
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:33 AM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
JPee.. WOW!!! THAT is how you crash a heli!! Nice job. LOL. Which Pro kit did you get? Sounds like HK maybe?

Wnuk, I always set goals for myself. My goal this winter was to get nose in licked. I am almost there. My goal for the summer is inverted orientations.

JEFF!!!!!!!! Dude, I missed ya. Stop in to Struggling when you get a chance. Everybody I am sure is dying to hear from you.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:38 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MICHAEL View Post
Checking to see if this works... LMAO ! So I've been off RCU for 28 days, and now I got to try and catch up here as well ! Lol... But all is well, and at least I know where my friends are at. I have moved and now got a slightly bigger front yard so that is kinda cool. I'am tempted to fly one of my planes, but its still tight for that. I think... Jay could, but not me !

Well, I'll see ya all in a week when I get caught up !
Welcome back party for Jeff Dave will bring the popcorn
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:38 AM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
It is SO GOOD to see you here Jeff. Hope you become more regular soon. Bigger front yard now, eh? Means it's time for a 700 size heli! LMAO!

Don't be a stranger and hope and pray you are doing well.

Jim
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:45 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Jeff Michael,

As Jim mentioned on the 700E and a bigger yard. They should be hitting the streets in about 6 weeks or so.

Glad your back and doing okay.

Dave