SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2015, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by Teukka
Joined Jun 2015
4 Posts
Discussion
Hovercraft tech crazy idea

Hello all,

First of all, I have to mention that I just joined RCGroups and do not have more experience with hovercrafts than the ~100 of videos I have been watching out of interest. Thus, I am trying to avoid making errors in RCGroups, but if I still happen to make errors on this thread (or otherwise), please leave me a note, and I will change that in the future, thx.

To the point:
I have this crazy idea that I would use the hovercraft tech to push a column up. The column is surrounded by a skirt of a hovercraft and the idea is to split the column to several compartments, which are filled one by one (there will be sealing in between each compartment).
Do you think there is a possibility that this could be done?
What kind of things would be needed to make this idea come alive - besides fan, skirt and the structure (incl. compartments)?
Is there something that I should especially be aware of?

Any thoughts (good or bad) are very welcome

Best Regards,
Teukka
Teukka is offline Find More Posts by Teukka
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,463 Posts
Welcome to RCGroups but I'm not sure what you mean. Can you perhaps do a simple drawing of what it is that you're imagining ?

Some questions that occur - what is the total weight of the "column" that you want to "push up" and perhaps more important how far up must it be "pushed" ? Hover techniques aren't really useful for lifting (or pushing up ?) to any real height.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 19, 2015, 03:22 AM
Joined Jun 2015
4 Posts
Thank you for your reply, here is a sketch of my idea.

This is how it 'works':
There are several sections (now there are 6 compartments), could be more. In the starting point the central pillar is retracted so that all the middle braces of the compartments are touching each other (the small horizontal quadrilateral boxes cutting the central pillar). The sections are inflated one by one using the fan on top of the column. The inner skirts and sealings in between sections (compartments) keep the air within the compartments. When one section gets enough air blown in and the pillar 'protrudes' past a certain point, there is a locking mechanism, which will keep the pillar protruded even though the fan would be shut down.
After the locking is achieved the next compartment sealing is opened and air is allowed to flow into the next section. All the compartments are filled this way and finally we should have a full column standing (and the fan can be shut down).

The outer skirt exists only for looks.

The original idea comes from the vision that if one has a hovercraft engine running it raises the craft a little higher. If you would have several of these small steps fulfilled one after another, you could push things higher up. I do not know if there is already something that would prevent this idea totally from coming true, but you've gotta try things until someone definitely proves you wrong, right?!

Sorry, if the sketch is messy, but I think you get the idea. If not, I will explain it even more.

Happy Midsummer to you all,
Teukka
Last edited by Teukka; Jun 19, 2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 03:32 AM
Joined Jun 2015
4 Posts
And to answer the two questions you mentioned:

1) The weight we are talking about is something like 10-20 kgs (~20-40 lbs)
2) The height that this device should cover is quite long, 1.35m (~4.5 feet)
Old Jun 19, 2015, 06:39 AM
Find More Posts by Sgu7
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Hi,

looks interesting, but i think i still don't fully understand what the machine can do, that is different from simply inflating the structure.
Sgu7 is offline Find More Posts by Sgu7
Old Jun 20, 2015, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
Professional Amateur
Joined Feb 2013
2,234 Posts
What is it's purpose?
Rusty Mustard is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
Old Jun 21, 2015, 02:35 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,463 Posts
If I understand what you're saying it sounds like you'd be better off looking at inflatables (bouncy castles, tents etc) rather than hovercraft.

Hovercraft "tech" really isn't suitable for pressurising and inflating sealed chambers. The whole point of hover design is to have the air escaping and to ride on it.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jun 22, 2015, 02:19 AM
Joined Jun 2015
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
If I understand what you're saying it sounds like you'd be better off looking at inflatables (bouncy castles, tents etc) rather than hovercraft.

Hovercraft "tech" really isn't suitable for pressurising and inflating sealed chambers. The whole point of hover design is to have the air escaping and to ride on it.

Steve
Yes, that is a good point. I think I will turn my eyes towards inflatables. Thank 's a lot for your responses!