New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by swill
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2002
73 Posts
Help!
Smart Motor Mount

I've had this model waiting for a motor for a long, long time. In fact I got it back in the days of NiMh packs. Anyway, I have struggled as to which motor to use and how to mount it. Check out the motor mount... I have no idea how to get a modern brushless to fit this model.

The model is a Smart Hotliner by Gerasis. I picked it up at the Hobby Lobby store over 10 years ago! I was in awe of watching my fellow club members fly this sweet machine so I had to get one for myself.

So my questions are:
  • Should I cut off the aluminum mounting ring and glass in a plywood firewall?
  • What power system would you recommend?

Thanks for your tips in advance!
swill is online now Find More Posts by swill
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by steveburns
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jan 2005
789 Posts
Kinda looks like about 1" bolt spacing which is somewhere around what the Neu/Hacker/other gearboxes use so just bolt it in. If it won't fit your motor of choice then grind it out and replace with one made from glass board or PCB board of about 3mm thick. When fitting the new mount grind some notches into the outer edge and key the inside of the fuz with ~60 grit sandpaper and glue in with something like JB Weld.

Steve.
steveburns is offline Find More Posts by steveburns
Old Mar 31, 2015, 02:57 AM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,707 Posts
here's a short review: http://www.sierrasilentsoarers.com/pdfs/s3mar_april.pdf. Power works out to about 600W

Another one with a Scorpion 3025-10, Note that he ran the outrunner motor leads externally: http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...3-DSCF0010.JPG http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1061646

An MVVS sailplane motor might fit - they're 36mm at the mount face (note the Sports are fatter) They have bolt spacing at 25mm to match your mount and can handle around 1000W in the bigger versions. There are also Hobby King Glider Drive clones but they might be too fat at 38mm diameter.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Mar 31, 2015, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by swill
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2002
73 Posts
I appreciate the guidance! So I measured the bolt pattern and it is 25mm square. I don't know why I was set on measuring it in inches because it was just a tad over 1.0". The fuselage would not handle a 38mm motor, so 36mm it is.

So I did a little research on motors. It appears that the easiest drop in and most cost effective is the MVVS 40 4.6/840. I think the Hacker B50 series with gearbox will also fit but I don't know if anyone has them in stock in the US. Would like to try the Neu but the cost is up there. May save a Neu for my bigger X-Ray hotliner. I just want to get this one going to get the feel for hotliners in general.

Thanks again!
swill is online now Find More Posts by swill
Old Apr 03, 2015, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,227 Posts
I'm not sure how much power you want to shove in it, but I had two smarts over the years, and loved them both. First with 10 nicads (CP1700's), the last one, which I finally lost last year, was using 3S/2650's. Hacker carbon motor with gearbox (forget the designation), and a hacker master 70 ESC from years ago. 12.9X13 RFM prop/spinner. Static current roughly 100 amps (near 1000 watts, a little over with a really hot pack in there). Still have that motor/esc sitting in the workshop. I even used the BEC in the speed control with no issues. In a diving pass last year I accidentally got about a millimeter too low going across the runway at a flyin. The fuselage stopped skidding a couple hundred feet from where the wing and tail departed. Found the receiver the next day <G>. If I remember correctly, I used a fiberglass disc mounted ot the front of the gearbox, with outer holes screwed into the metal ring on the last one. I do remember the two models were different in the nose, and there was a difference in motor mounting.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Apr 04, 2015, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by john2kx
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined Mar 2009
89 Posts
Hacker motors

I have a flying partner who tried to find a hacker b50 9S/6.7:1 in stock last week without luck in the USA. He did find a distributor willing to order one from Germany and should have it in a few weeks. I fly this same motor in a Nan Spider on 5S making 2550 watts @ 145 amps static with a 17x13 RFM prop. Temperature probe on motor never exceeds 50C with a proportional throttle.

If your looking for a carbon hacker like Gary mentioned, I have one in the shop that came out of my first hot liner (Avionic). Specs are (carbon hacker HBR, b50 fai, F5B, 6150 kV, 6.7:1, 258g w/o prop/spinner. I ran it on 3S 4900 90C Neu battery but do not have amp/watt numbers documented. Motor diameter is 36mm, gearbox is 29mm. Could be had for the price of a good table dance Bolt spacing is 25mm.
john2kx is offline Find More Posts by john2kx
Last edited by john2kx; Apr 04, 2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2015, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2kx View Post
I have a flying partner who tried to find a hacker b50 9S/6.7:1 in stock last week without luck in the USA. He did find a distributor willing to order one from Germany and should have it in a few weeks. I fly this same motor in a Nan Spider on 5S making 2550 watts @ 145 amps static with a 17x13 RFM prop. Temperature probe on motor never exceeds 50C with a proportional throttle.

If your looking for a carbon hacker like Gary mentioned, I have one in the shop that came out of my first hot liner (Avionic). Specs are (carbon hacker HBR, b50 fai, F5B, 6150 kV, 6.7:1, 258g w/o prop/spinner. I ran it on 3S 4900 90C Neu battery but do not have amp/watt numbers documented. Motor diameter is 36mm, gearbox is 29mm. Could be had for the price of a good table dance Bolt spacing is 25mm.
I run the standard case version of the B50-6S in a 1.65m Nan Alex (Flash). I started on 2S with a 15x13 at about 6-700W. That was a good gentle introduction. I now run 3S, but haven't been brave enough to go past 14x9.5 mainly because I'm not sure how much current my Hacker 125 F5F ESC will really take. The 3S setup is about 110A. It's serious fun at that power level. Light, nice bark from the prop, easy to launch and land pretty fast climb - 3-4 seconds has it getting very small.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco