SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:10 AM
Joined May 2011
88 Posts
Discussion
Joysway Infinity, is it supposed to do this?

Evening all,

I'm planning a couple of conversions to electric so I thought I'd buy one and see what I was getting in to. After reading a bit on it I bought a Joysway Infinity from Tower. Looked good out of the box, no obvious problems, leak checked ok and the radio worked properly. Put it into the water for the first time today and it's better than expected but for one problem. When I hit a certain point on the throttle it shuts down and does it at the same power setting consistently. It resets after I release the throttle but it's quite annoying. I'm using eflite batteries of the reccomended voltage and capacity although I think the C rating is a bit lower than called for. Could that be the problem or could it be a bad ESC or something else? This is a problem I've not run into on my brushed boats or on any of the airplanes we have. Otherwise I like this little boat and hope to keep it running for quite a while. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Rick H.
308jockey is offline Find More Posts by 308jockey
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:24 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
1,050 Posts
I am going bad ESC, or a programming issue with the ESC where it is tripping the low voltage cutoff under load.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:18 AM
Kid at heart..
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2014
330 Posts
Sounds like you are hitting the low voltage cutoff of the ESC. Are the batteries good? Also has the remote throttle been calibrated?
hangtheman is offline Find More Posts by hangtheman
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:40 AM
Joined May 2011
88 Posts
Hhhmm, hadn't thought about low voltage cutoff. I know the battery is good but it is entirely possible I failed to charge it since it was last used in a helicopter. I have three identical batteries, I may have just used it and then not charged it. Will check it out. I haven't calibrated the throttle, I don't recall anything in the very short manual about that but will double check. Thanks!

Rick H.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 08:15 PM
Joined May 2011
88 Posts
I've just spent an hour on the phone listening to Tower and Venom pass the buck back and forth each saying the other will take good care of me. Finally they all went home and I get to call back in the morning. This is not a low voltage problem, the two batteries I tried this morning were fully charged so I am back to a programming issue. I noticed in another Joysway related thread a link to a manual that tells how to program the ESC in a different boat. I'm hoping this will work on this boat and the silly thing will work properly and I won't have to waste time with more customer service people telling me what good care the other guys are going to take of me. I like this boat, it's smaller than I expected but seems well built and handles nicely through about 2/3 throttle. I may run it awhile and see what can be done about hot rodding it later. Got to get it running right in stock form first though.

Rick H.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:07 PM
Kid at heart..
Joined Apr 2014
330 Posts
A couple of things to check. When you plug it in, does it give the correct amount of beeps to identify the correct battery type. For example, if it is 3S battery, It should give three beeps, followed by a "Beeep Beep" to indicate the ESC is armed. If it is identifying the correct battery type, it may be a bad ESC. If it is not beeping to identify the number of cells in the battery, but only does the "Beep Beep" to indicate it is armed, then the battery type has been manually set in the ESC and that could be your problem. If you it has been set manually to 4S, but you put in a 3S, it would behave like you are describing, where you are full throttle, it does not have enough volts for 4S and hits the LVC because its expecting voltage from 4S.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:24 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,347 Posts
Just because the battery is fully charged doesn't mean that's not the problem. You mentioned in the first post that the C rating "is a bit lower than called for". That's a problem.
For my aquaholic I am using my airplane batteries. One of them has a significantly lower C rating, and with that battery It will go into low voltage cutoff before I even hit full throttle.... Just like you are getting...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:59 PM
Joined Nov 2014
131 Posts
Doesn't sound like the LVC, if the power cuts out at a certain input consistently then it's not lvc. I'm not sure about the infinity boat but in the barb wire the lvc would hit and cut the throttle out for a few seconds letting you know it's time to bring it in. This sounds more like a bad esc can you try reprogramming it?

Venom has good customer service, I would know because the barb wire have me so many problems I was on the phone or emailing venom every other day.
ApexpretadorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:32 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexpretadorGT View Post
Doesn't sound like the LVC, if the power cuts out at a certain input consistently then it's not lvc.
Not saying the battery is definitely the problem, but if the power cuts out at a certain input consistently, that tell me it IS the LVC....

The motor will draw a certain number of amps at any particular throttle setting, as the amp draw goes up, the battery voltage will go down.
When using a battery that is not rated high enough, the battery cannot supply the amps the motor is asking for, but still tries, which makes the voltage drop past the LVC, which will happen consistently at the same point each time, when using the same battery.

If its happening at the exact same point through multiple batteries with different ratings, THEN you can rule out LVC.....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:12 PM
Joined May 2011
88 Posts
It was happening with multiple batteries that work fine in the airplanes and helis I run them in. I also found that one of them had the c rating called for. There is another thread here about the Joysway Bullet and it gives a link to instructions for how to program the ESC in that boat. I applied that to the Infinity and that solved the problem. There was absolutely no reference to programming the ESC in my Infinity. Even funnier is that neither Tower, nor Atomik could solve the problem, they just kept pointing the finger at each other. Maybe programming the ESC is standard procedure for most boats but I'd not heard of it before. Now I know. Otherwise I like this little boat. Seems well built and the self righting feature is clever. Looking forward to running it some more before Christmas.

Rick H.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:24 AM
Kid at heart..
Joined Apr 2014
330 Posts
Make sure to reinforce the seams, all 3 of my Infinity split at the seams with a hard flip...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:40 PM
Joined Nov 2014
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Not saying the battery is definitely the problem, but if the power cuts out at a certain input consistently, that tell me it IS the LVC....

The motor will draw a certain number of amps at any particular throttle setting, as the amp draw goes up, the battery voltage will go down.
When using a battery that is not rated high enough, the battery cannot supply the amps the motor is asking for, but still tries, which makes the voltage drop past the LVC, which will happen consistently at the same point each time, when using the same battery.

If its happening at the exact same point through multiple batteries with different ratings, THEN you can rule out LVC.....

When I had the barb wire I was able to run it full throttle for a solid minute after the lvc hit and then it would cut out briefly again when the lvc hit. So it doesn't sound like a lvc problem to me. More like an esc problem.
ApexpretadorGT is online now Find More Posts by ApexpretadorGT