SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:23 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2013
515 Posts
Question
Which glue would be best to stick polystyrene to depron?

Which glue would be best to stick polystyrene to depron?

Preferably something easy to use, cheap and commonly available. I wish I could use PVR glue but I find it just doesn't stick well enough to the depron.

I do have some foam tac which I am testing now but it only seems to come in small fairly expensive containers and I'm thiking of working on some larger projects. I can use it but it would be neat to find something more of a generic bulk item.

I have read about fabric glue working with depron, would it stick to polysyrene too?
RC Aerobat is offline Find More Posts by RC Aerobat
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:45 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2013
515 Posts
Actually I think I might try liquid nails again, it seemed to work well, I forgot about it.

Unless anyone knows something else that's similarly cheap and works as well / better?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:01 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,799 Posts
Just about any of the usual foam adhesives should be Ok.

UHU Por, Gorilla Glue, hot glue sticks, epoxy, etc, as well as the wall board adhesives, Use No Nails etc.
Even wood glues, through they take longer to air dry.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:02 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,203 Posts
Gorilla glue perhaps ... ? In some cases we’ve even used canned spray foam (Great Stuff) , sprayed into the lid , stirred down into a gooey mass and applied with a chopstick ... Works super gluing dissimilar materials ...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:17 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,405 Posts
Isn't Depron just extruded polystyrene?
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:24 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2013
515 Posts
Probably, wood glue has worked ok with poly onto poly but with depron onto poly it has't worked that well, in areas it peeled off but then it tore in other areas so it was stuck better there.

I left it for 2 days to dry.

Hot glue directly onto the poly would probably melt it.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 06:09 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2013
515 Posts
I've been trying some different water based and turps based glues which seem to work better so far, ones that work with plastic.

I think the big mistake I have been making was trying to use PVC wood glue which isn't suitable for plastic and since polystyrene is plastic it doesn't work.

I kind of thought since polysyrene has air gaps etc it was a bit like wood, but even paper (wood) on polystyrene just doesn't work well at all.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:57 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,385 Posts
Park flyer plastics uses gorilla glue for all his Depron to plastic joints. He's built a few planes
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:01 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,650 Posts
FoamCure would be my choice. Much lower cost than FoamTac and much better glue. I sell it www.strongrcmotors.com
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:05 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2013
515 Posts
Has to be available in Aus though.

I have gorilla grip I think, it works well but it's a foaming type glue so it doesn't suit large flat areas, but is good for mostly everything else.

I'm trying out a contact type glue that is in a tub and I can paint on, so if that works well it's convinient to be able to paint it.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 07:32 PM
United States, CA, Aptos
Joined Sep 2012
188 Posts
I have used all the usual glues listed above. If you use gorilla make sure its the white version not the brown high expansion stuff. It also goes off fast with water dripped on it.

I use the cheapest epoxy I can get my hands on for motor mounts and critical construction.

I recommend StyroGoo 8.5oz for everything else. Cheaper than most glues and comes in large bottles so you dont have to run out to buy more all the time.

I buy it online through amazon. It dries clear and usually the foam breaks before the joint does. Drying time is about 30 min.
Apply, trial fit, separate and let air dry for 10-15 seconds and stick it back together. It will hold as long as there is no tension on the joint. If tension is an issue I tack the joint with hot melt to secure it while the glue goes off.
Poporbit is online now Find More Posts by Poporbit