Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2007, 06:24 AM
Joined May 2005
5 Posts
Help!
Spacewalker 2 Fuel Tank - Help

Hi,

I've just bought the Spacewalker 2 by Seagull, nicely made. The only problem I have with this model relates to the the fuel tank.

I've noticed other modellers have had similar problems with the tank in this model too. I have a feeling that the model has had a redesign around the tank/engine bay, so the older posts about resolving the tank issue no longer apply.

The problem is that the tank does not push fully into the designed tank holder. The picture of the tank holder in the manual (see pic) does not look like mine (see pic).

The only solution I can see is to cut the front tank holder (nearest the engine), there are two tank holders. The first one makes up the the front wall of the servo/batt/RX bay, the second one is a little further in, you should be able to see this in the pictures. They are at the same level, so the tank does go in straight.

Has anyone else recently bought this model or know of a solution?
I wanted to put a larger fuel tank in as people have said you only get 5 mins fly time on this 80z Bubro tank.

I think I am going to have to do a bit of cutting and sawing, I just hope this does not effect the strength of the fuselage.

Please help!

H.
Howser is offline Find More Posts by Howser
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2007, 08:59 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,140 Posts
so it doesn't go as far..do you have room? if you do lengthen the fuel lines and glue a stick or screw in a strap of velcro to hold the tank in place..looks like even if you removed or modified the fwd tank holder the slant to the fuselage isn't going to allow you to move the tank any further forward.
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:07 AM
Stankromfols
Valley Springs, CA
Joined Jun 2006
797 Posts
Howser, are you close to a local hobby shop? If it were me I would check on the Sullivan slant tanks. From your drawing it looks like the Sullivan would be perfect because the front of the tank extends at the bottom, but not at the top, so it looks like it would slide right into that area that you have.
SKromfols is offline Find More Posts by SKromfols
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:10 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
I am pretty sure that you could just *fashion* some kind of retaining piece right behind the tank (when installed).
There should be some space in front of the tank still that is taken up with some foam, to allow for vibration elimination.
Or, you could find a tank that has the slanted front end, like Sullivan makes (I think).
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Oct 03, 2007, 09:13 AM
Stankromfols
Valley Springs, CA
Joined Jun 2006
797 Posts
hahaha, I beat you to it this time Joey. Look at the post above. Yes, Sullivan makes a slant tank that just might do the trick.
SKromfols is offline Find More Posts by SKromfols
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:34 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,912 Posts
Sorry to ressurect an older thread, but I too just bought a Spacewalker 2 and am having problems with the fuel tank fit. I don't think Howser's drawing is a proper presentation of the problem, it's upside down. The slant is in the bottom of the fuselage (the sullivan tank would have to be inverted if it were to fit like some have suggested), there is also a 1/2 inch long plywood protrution extrending rearward from the nexus point of the slated plane and the lower plane of the engine mounting box. This protrution also prevents the tank from being slid far enough forward to mate with the hole in the firewall like the instructions command. Another problem is the tank itself. While it fits snuggly inside the bulkheads, the lip on the bottom would not allow it to mate properly with the firewall, even if the slant and plywood protrusion weren't present. The manual shows a drawing of a different tank style with an almost oval cross section and a flat front. This tank would fit perfectly in the firewall, however, I don't think it would fit in the bulkheads. I believe the bulkheads on my plane were redesigned to fit the newer tank, but the rest of the plane was left as is. Even the holes in the bulkhead are cut too low. If I were to try to fit the stock tank as far forward as possible, it would be way too low and too far back to give optimal performance.

I think I'm going to cut the bulkheads to fit a flat faced sullivan tank.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW