HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2005, 03:04 PM
cocoa fl
Joined Jul 2003
513 Posts
Question
need a foolproof low mah charger

I posted this in the batteries and charger forum and it was suggested that one of you electronics guru's should be able to steer me in the right directon

need a peak charger for low amp batteries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks,

I work for a military simulator company and we are in need of a charger for HIMH batteries that are low amp ( 110 to 350mah). So far we have not found a peak charger that has a charge rate of 50mah or less. The problem we have is our end users don't follow proper charging procedure and often leave the charger plugged end for days at a time and have been ruining our battery packs. we have not had any success sending them chargers that have user settings and we are looking for something that is basically fool proof. If anyone could direct us to a manufacturer of a chager that fits these parameters it would be greatly aprreciated. We are in need of at least 70 units at this time and there will many more needed in the future. I know you guys are the experts in this field as you all have helped me countless times on my personal RC endeavours.

Thanks in advance,

Cliff
Cliff Smith is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2005, 03:09 PM
cocoa fl
Joined Jul 2003
513 Posts
I forgot to mention that we are currently using six cell packs, but would like to up the cell count to eight if possible.

Cliff
Old Sep 21, 2005, 04:37 PM
CamLight Systems
New York City, USA
Joined Oct 2003
1,172 Posts
Deleted.
JohnMuchow is offline Find More Posts by JohnMuchow
Last edited by JohnMuchow; Sep 21, 2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 04:45 PM
CamLight Systems
New York City, USA
Joined Oct 2003
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Smith
I work for a military simulator company and we are in need of a charger for HIMH batteries that are low amp ( 110 to 350mah). :
Hi Cliff,
If you don't find a commercially available unit, we can certainly put together a custom one for you with the packaging and connectors you specify.

A couple of questions:
- What is your time frame for the purchase of these chargers?
- What cells are you using? This will determine the delta-V setting for the peak detection.
- What charge rate do you want? 50ma?
- Do you need one charger for both 6-cell and 8-cell packs? Or two different chargers? Or just one for the 8-cell packs?
- Do you need discharge capabilities to help keep the packs conditioned? Or does the device the packs are used in discharge them completely before the user charges the packs again?

Thanks!

John Muchow
Managing Partner
CamLight Systems
www.camlight.com
JohnMuchow is offline Find More Posts by JohnMuchow
Old Sep 21, 2005, 05:06 PM
cocoa fl
Joined Jul 2003
513 Posts
Hi John,
Thanks for the quick response. I do all of the mehanical designs for our simulators and I have been tying to assist our EE. He is very good at all aspects of electronic design but lacks any experience relating to batteries or chargers. It sounds like you are definately the person we need. I will pass your website info and this post on to him tomorrow morning and we will be in touch asap.

Thanks Again,

Cliff