Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:19 AM
Joined Feb 2014
41 Posts
Discussion
Flight recording

So I have been recording my flights since I started flying earlier this year, wondering what some of the experienced guys logs look like. I use a spreadsheet and only record a few things, but curious to know what everyone else does. Or maybe most people don't, I do it because I am a nerd and it actually helps me remember most of my flights. (all 22 currently speaking)
BrianLas is offline Find More Posts by BrianLas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2014, 03:07 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,424 Posts
I keep two separate records: One is a database of my battery use and charging, which includes battery purchase date, mAh charged, flight duration, and which model it was in.

The other is a spreadsheet of repairs and mods to my helis, in which I record the date, the part numbers of the parts used, and a brief note of why parts were replaced.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jun 22, 2014, 07:45 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,150 Posts
There are some computer and phone apps for rc flight logging. I looked at some and never went further.
mcnowhere is online now Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Jun 22, 2014, 01:32 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2011
299 Posts
I just created a simple spreadsheet in Numbers on my iPhone - I tried some of the logging apps, but a spreadsheet works just as well. Although now that I fly more often, logging everything ended up being more trouble than it was worth....
WombatControl is offline Find More Posts by WombatControl
Old Jun 22, 2014, 01:45 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,746 Posts
I never saw the point. I fly for fun, not to get burdened with "homework" concerning my flights. After flying it's time to relax and enjoy the fun you just had. As far as batteries go, I charge and balance the night before and make sure I charge them right. Hasn't failed me yet. In the last 2.5 years, I have only had 3 batteries go bad on me; cheap ones at that. Nah, I just never saw the point.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 22, 2014, 03:01 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,861 Posts
I used to keep a hand written log for all models. At some point, they become consistent and are no longer needed. I still keep track of a new model for a bit, and any changes made to older ones.
Odd that now it is easier than ever, I don't bother.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Jun 22, 2014, 04:53 PM
Australia, NSW, Central Coast
Joined May 2014
52 Posts
Check out an Android app called FlightLog, it's free.

Or DG RC Pilot Logbook if you have iPhone/iPad. Also free.
craigfoot is offline Find More Posts by craigfoot
Old Jun 22, 2014, 08:10 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,076 Posts
I log all of my flights. I, too, am a nerd. I time each flight and note it on my iPhone. Before that I wrote it on paper. I think my records go back 6 years. I transfer the battery usage info into an Excel spreadsheet. I have a tab for each plane. I log the date, time of day, battery used including mAh of LiPo, length of flight and end voltage of LiPo cells. I can log the mAh put back into the LiPo and with that the spreadsheet will calculate % of battery used, average amps pulled by power system, and how long I could have flown at the same power level using 85% of the LiPo.

It is a good system and can be used for lots of information as the data in the system increases.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Jun 23, 2014, 02:58 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,977 Posts
U guys are crazy, what is the purpose?
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:06 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
U guys are crazy, what is the purpose?
I would like to know what benefit is derived from such extensive log taking.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:39 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
6,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I never saw the point. I fly for fun, not to get burdened with "homework" concerning my flights.
i kept detailed flight logs on Excel for a little over a year. mah in, volts at end of each flight, flight time, etc. since i used to use several different setups quite frequently.

once you narrow it down to a few setups you come to realize, as chuck wrote, that there really is no point. i saved all my flight logs but they are thoroughly useless to me.

the things you want to record are amp draw on different setups. those help in knowing what props you can use and how long you can run them. but these are bench testing numbers rather than flight logs.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jun 23, 2014, 01:38 PM
Joined May 2012
269 Posts
I use an eagletree data logger the first couple of flights to make sure the setup is ok, past the test flights I couldn't be bothered.
A charger that checks the IR of the batteries tells me when the batteries are getting tired, test after the first couple cycles, write it on the pack and compare the numbers every once and a while.
Other than that I really can't be bothered writing out a flight log, didn't even like doing it when I was getting full sized hours. It's more fun flying than writing!
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:15 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I would like to know what benefit is derived from such extensive log taking.
It's a nerd thing, for sure. I not only keep the data I listed above but go even further. On each spread sheet for each plane I have all up weight, amp draw, watts, calculated watts/lb, wing area, calculated oz/sq ft wing loading, volts, prop RPM, prop pitch, calculated prop speed, calculated thrust and calculated thrust to weight ratio.

Why do I need all of that information? I have no idea. I just feel like I am missing something if I do not know. I love math and statistics so that might be part of it. Data talks, opinions walk. If you ask me about one of my planes I can back up any claim with hard data. Heck, I even do stats at the bottom of the spreadsheet calculating average amps per flight, average flight time, etc. If I want to know how many flights I have on plane, it is an easy look-up. For me, there is never too much data. To others, if the plane flys and the basic electronic requirements are within reason, nothing else matters. And that is OK too.

So, on my 47 inch 3D Hobby Shop Extra 300 SHP I can say, without hesitation and with data to back up my statements, that I can fly hard aerobatics and some 3D for 6 minutes and then land and use 70% of the 2200mAh LiPo averaging just under 13 amps draw throughout the flight. The AUW is 42.8 oz. and with the Torque 2818T/900 motor on 3S 2200mAh LiPo spinning a 13x6.5 APC prop the system draws 39.5 amps at static WOT at 441 watts on 11.2V. That's 164.9 watts/lb! The prop spins at 7700 RPM with a prop speed of 47.4 mph developing 76.9 oz. of thrust for a thrust to weight ratio of 1.8. The wing area is 3.194 sq. ft. and the wing loading is 13.4 oz/sq. ft. But, having said all of that, who cares? Heck, some of the calculations are pure theoretical and don't compensate for things like drag or air density or efficiency or unloaded statistics. If I want some of that I just download the flight data from the Castle Creations data link on the ESC.

Like I said, I do it for enjoyment and self fulfillment. I get a personal kick out of it.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Jun 24, 2014, 06:54 AM
Joined Feb 2014
41 Posts
Enjoyment/benefit

Many of you guys stated that you don't see the reason/benefit for logging flights. Even stated that you didn't want extra "work" or such. As I mentioned, I am a bit of a nerd, so I like recording things, I like knowing what each flight yields and its like a carry-over experience from the flight, almost like extending my "fun time."

Sounds like that may not be the majority, but for certain people it is fun, not extra work.
BrianLas is offline Find More Posts by BrianLas
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:52 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,746 Posts
Ok, fair enough.