Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
600 Posts
Discussion
Lost airplane, now what?

I told you in the August 18 Contest thread that my Radian was lost at Kearns today due to no control right at the top of the motor run. No electric sailplane.

So there are 2 things I need:
1. A new CAM unit
2. A new electric glider

We sold 31 CAM switches for Altitude Limited Electric Sailplanes this year. I haven't seen very many in use. If you have a CAM switch just sitting around, I would like to buy it for the price you paid, $41. Please reply or call me at 801-254-0639.

As far as the Radian replacement goes, I also have some choices:
1. Buy another ARF Radian to use my own radio (nice plane for the money)
2. Buy a wood kit for conversion to electric (the Skybench Big Bird 100 or 110 would work; costs more than the Radian, work to build, need radio for it)
3. Scratch build something (work, work, work)
4. Build something I already have (I have quite the potpourri of electric and sailplane kits)

After looking at what I have in stock, I decided to build something that won't take very long and is quite light, and which I have all the equipment for: a 55” Sparky from Pat Tritle/Pat’s Custom Models (see attachment). You older guys may know the original Comet Sparky, a rubber-powered free flight kit of about 38” span. Pat Tritle is a master at lightweight electric designs, mostly scale. His scaled-up Sparky weighs 14 oz. ready to fly and has a 6 oz/sq.ft. wing loading. The $16 motor has plenty of power, and it is supposed to thermal well. The downside is that it is not much good in the wind.

It’s different, has easy construction, won’t cost me much because I already have the parts and equipment, and, well, it’s different. My other choice is the EZ Bubble Dancer, which is definitely not easy construction—maybe it will be built for next year.

Scott
shinck is online now Find More Posts by shinck
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:55 PM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
600 Posts
Aftermath

When I got home from Kearns yesterday I put an ad on KSL.com under the Lost and Found category.

Today I received a call from a lady in Kearns who had found the Radian in her back yard and thought someone may be trying to find it, so she checked KSL.com.
I offered a $50 reward; they took $40.

The fuselage is broken right in back of the servo opening. I already have a new fuselage for my last crash if I don't want to epoxy the foam back together. The battery is dead; I am trying to see if my Cell Pro charger can bring it back to life. If not, I can get better batteries from Hobby King for $7 each.

All in all, a very positive experience. I will still build the Sparky, but at least I can do it at a more leisurely pace.

Scott
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:53 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
I'm curious, how far away did the model end up from where you were flying?
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
600 Posts
I'm not sure where it landed. Everyone is so careful these days because of scams, etc.
I got the first names only of the couple that found it. They did not give me there address, and we met on "neutral territory" for the exchange.
My guess is that it was about 2 blocks in to where the houses start on the south side of the Kearns park.