HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2011, 08:53 AM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
392 Posts
Bearing is a very generic term. A bushing is simply a type of bearing. They can use the word "bearing" even if there are no moving parts. The DX7s may very well use ball bearings, but they didn't describe it as such.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 08:59 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,447 Posts
Bearings with no moving parts are also called "plain bearings".

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old May 10, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Bearings with no moving parts are also called "plain bearings".

Chuck
another quirk of the language-
The list is long and hard
to accept
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old May 10, 2011, 11:25 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo1948 View Post
.... In my case, I really don't care about the back-lighting and I don't need the extra channel. And, considering I can only hang about 20 planes in my home, I don't need the 30 model memory of the DX8....I can make do with the 20 model memory of the DX7s. I have yet to decide whether other features of the DX8 would make me want to spend $87.00 more....Mondo
Here's my 2 cents and considering the exchange rate it's either at par with us or worth more . I was once told this and now pass it along any chance I get. YOU DO NOT BUY A RADIO JUST BASED ON AMOUNT OF CHANNELS.

The thing is generaly the radios with more channel also come with MORE programming capabilities and that for some is more important then channel amount.

Also some of the CONS say of the DX6i is the LACK of 3 position switch. DX8 ALL 3 position DX7s NOT ALL. The 30 vs 20 model memory means nothing really when you can BACK them up on the SD card.

DX8 8 mixes, DX7s ??

IF these LITTLE extra mean nothing to you then the price difference wont either but if they do then 80 some odd dollars when you are getting MORE means something.

I was once told BUY the best you can now and you wont have to buy another later.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 10, 2011, 06:36 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefabu View Post
The Spektrum site mentions "ball bearings" for the DX8 gimbals but only says "bearings" for the DX7s. A bearing is not required to have a rolling component, so is this another difference between the two?
I would say in this case they just omitted the word "ball" but they are exactly the same ball bearings... you can find the same words "Quad-bearing gimbals and metal plated finish." on both the DX8 and DX7s page....

I cant see them designing a whole new control stick setup for the DX8, then putting the DX7 in the same case, but without the same stick setup....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 10, 2011, 11:54 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Mar 2005
99 Posts
Change to Spektrum style case?

What about the change from JR to Spektrum style case? I really like the feel of my JR XP6102 and wanted an DX7 because of the JR style enclosure, but missed the boat when they discontinued it.

My friend's Spektrum DX6i just feels bulky and awkward to me. Haven't touched a DX8, though. Maybe the higher end DX7 and DX8's feel a bit less awkward?
ob1knob is offline Find More Posts by ob1knob
Old May 11, 2011, 04:45 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,503 Posts
The DX7s case is much more like the DX8 with the rubber grips, much nicer than the 7 case.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 11, 2011, 05:04 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,037 Posts
How does the new DX7s compare to JR's XG-7?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327478
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old May 11, 2011, 05:42 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
The DX7s case is much more like the DX8 with the rubber grips, much nicer than the 7 case.

Gord.
Rubber grips don't automatically fix bad ergonometry. A friend of mine finds the DX6i and DX8 "too fat" for his hands.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old May 11, 2011, 07:32 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,090 Posts
And I have the sticks extended to their full length to make my DX8 feel "thick enough." God made us all different, and there's no one-size-fits-all transmitter. That's why it's so important to try several at the LHS and find the one that best fits you.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 11, 2011, 08:51 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
... there's no one-size-fits-all transmitter. ...
Well, transmitters usually come in just one size, or? Never heard of a DX7 which came in S, M, L or XL.

If you want a different size, you have to chose a different model or buy from a different brand.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old May 11, 2011, 09:11 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,090 Posts
Exactly, that's why it's important to try them out, and why we have different transmitters in different sizes (4e, 5e, 6i, 7S/8, are all different sizes). For my daughters' small hands, several years ago I converted a GWS to Spektrum.

For some of our surface radios we offer different grip sizes to allow for different hand sizes.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 11, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Exactly, that's why it's important to try them out, and why we have different transmitters in different sizes (4e, 5e, 6i, 7S/8, are all different sizes). For my daughters' small hands, several years ago I converted a GWS to Spektrum.

For some of our surface radios we offer different grip sizes to allow for different hand sizes.

Andy
Mebbe she will grow up to be a radio announcer ( wee paws for station identification)
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old May 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,091 Posts
In Horizonhobby's youtube video of the DX7s, at 2:50 when showing different wing type ELEVON & ELEVON B appear. WHAT is elevon B? Anyone know?
HorizonHobby.com On the Horizon 5-5-11 (11 min 7 sec)
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; May 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:35 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
In Horizonhobby's youtube video of the DX7s, at 2:50 when showing different wing type ELEVON & ELEVON B appear. WHAT is elevon B? Anyone know?

What would be cool is if Elevon B switched the sides of the Servos.

That is the biggest problem with Using Bricks (Vapor and AR6400) for elevons is that the servos sides are set and you have to Flip the brick over or turn it around to get the Elevator servo on the correct side for your TX (...and the DX7 and DX6i used different sides)
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN