HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:54 PM
Southern Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
60 Posts
Discussion
Banana Hobbies - Buyer beware

A Friend of mine recently bought a Wing Tiger from Banana Hobbies. After about 30 seconds of flight, it spun in with no control. The speed controller was fried. After spending a good deal of time on the phone waiting for the next available person, he was told that Banana Hobbies wouldn't replace the fuselage because he should have turned everything on for a couple of hours to see if anything was going to go wrong.

He is pretty discouraged (he's just learning to fly).

I was quite surprised at this response. I can only surmise that they do not care about repeat customers.

I have convinced him to buy a Super Cub from Horizon Hobbies as I know from personal experience they stand behind what they sell.

If you decide to buy from Banana Hobbies just know that if you have a defect you are on your own.

You know what they say "buy cheap - buy twice".
Aeromister is offline Find More Posts by Aeromister
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:57 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Isn't Pete supposed to take care of these issues?

Or maybe he's no longer there....
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 18, 2009, 05:46 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
What do you expect Them to do? I don't think they offer CRASH INSURANCE. You say the ESC fried, how can you be certain that it didn't happen when he crashed the plan or as a result of the crash.

I bought a DMZ model plane from Graves RC Hoobies, put it together went out to the field flew one battery through it. Then while flying the second battery and coming out of a roll, the plane made a right bank. I tried to bring it back, but no use it spiraled into the ground from about 100 feet up.

When I got to the plane and upon checking it, a servo was stripped. Now I can bet that the servo stripped during flight and this is what caused the crash, but I was just above a Newbie andstill had the occassional dumb thumb. But WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD I EXPECT GRAVES RC TO REFUND MY MONEY OR REPLACE MY PLANE.

Crashing is all part of the game or hobby so now he needs to go out and get another plane. But this time get a non-powered foamy like a GWS Beaver or Estarter and put his own electrics in it instead of that cheap junk that comes with most RTF's.

But my sympathies go out to the person, I just lost one of my planes this weekend my favorite to boot so I know the feeling. But I just don't see how you can hang this on Banana Hobby, if I owned a hobby shop, I would have handled the situation the same way, or at least tell you "That's the breaks and that's the chance you take when you decided to get into this hobby.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Nov 18, 2009, 06:55 AM
Bitten by the scale bug
Fishers, IN
Joined Jun 2008
326 Posts
how do you fry an ESC from a crash? I dont think thats possible.
Splix is offline Find More Posts by Splix
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:20 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
It could short out. By the way, anything issssss possible But my point being still, is who would expect them to replace your plane

I've tried every excuse there is when I come home with a crashed bird from "I can't believe they just planted that tree there", "It was flying along fine and for some reason there were power lines next to my flying field", "A gust of wing all of a sudden came up and blew my plane into the ground". I could go on all day, I got a million of them that I have told my wife when I walked in the door with a bag of bits and pieces. But I have never said or admitted that it was dumb thumbs or I was showing off and got careless.

Banana Hobbies like most all Hobby stores on line or otherwise isn't Walmart where you can return anythng for any reason for like 90 days. Hobby Stores require the item to be in new condition and the same as they sent it to you in order to get a refund or exchange. Now had it been a Castle Creations ESC or something like that then Castle may replace it if it's sent back. But crap that comes in RTF planes is just that and you should expect to get what you pay for.

I'm not sticking up for Banana Hobbies, they haven't got the best rep out there, but I just don't see how you can blame them after a crash and expect a free replacement unless you have replacement insurance like some places offer.
Last edited by mtdoramike; Nov 18, 2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:13 AM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splix View Post
if the throttle was on still and you stopped the prop with mother earth....?????

but really in any crash youre going to find ruined parts etc....it's easy to blame the distributer etc but few admit to dumb thumbing one in............this reminds me of a race car driver at a local track here after pounding a modified straight in one evening and we asked him what happened.......his response,...."something broke"........well yeah dufus, its all broke now....how do you dispute his claim?
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:40 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
5-10 min. spent in the Vendor Talk forum could have saved him doing any business with this vendor in the first place. Which is where this thread should have been started BTW.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:22 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
I agree with Tim
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:19 PM
Glitch Master
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdoramike View Post
What do you expect Them to do? I don't think they offer CRASH INSURANCE. You say the ESC fried, how can you be certain that it didn't happen when he crashed the plan or as a result of the crash.

I bought a DMZ model plane from Graves RC Hoobies, put it together went out to the field flew one battery through it. Then while flying the second battery and coming out of a roll, the plane made a right bank. I tried to bring it back, but no use it spiraled into the ground from about 100 feet up.

When I got to the plane and upon checking it, a servo was stripped. Now I can bet that the servo stripped during flight and this is what caused the crash, but I was just above a Newbie andstill had the occassional dumb thumb. But WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD I EXPECT GRAVES RC TO REFUND MY MONEY OR REPLACE MY PLANE.

Crashing is all part of the game or hobby so now he needs to go out and get another plane. But this time get a non-powered foamy like a GWS Beaver or Estarter and put his own electrics in it instead of that cheap junk that comes with most RTF's.

But my sympathies go out to the person, I just lost one of my planes this weekend my favorite to boot so I know the feeling. But I just don't see how you can hang this on Banana Hobby, if I owned a hobby shop, I would have handled the situation the same way, or at least tell you "That's the breaks and that's the chance you take when you decided to get into this hobby.
Amen brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splix View Post
I know first hand that this is possible, several times over
Jim Varley is offline Find More Posts by Jim Varley
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:45 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,777 Posts
this kind of thing can happen with ANY vendor.. the same thing happened to a friends phase three phantom from hobby people... esc did in fact fry in mid flight "maiden" "electrics dont have smoke systems... as laine would say but this one sure did!" they replaced the esc no sweat.. but like many other vendors would not replace the airframe

its the way most places do business
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:56 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,447 Posts
I see where Mike is coming from because it is hard to prove exactly what happened. In playing Devil's Advocate, however, the big problem here is that the vendor in question states they stand behind their products and it's obvious they don't. Take Horizon for example... you constantly hear about how the stand behind their products. If I bought a T-28 and the ESC or a servo died on the maiden flight, I would expect them to replace it. I'm not looking for a whole plane, of course, but I would expect them to replace the faulty part if it failed on the maiden. I was putting together a .60-sized P-40 and the little bellcranks in the wings for the retracts were missing. Horizon shipped me not one but TWO complete wing sets until the problem was resolved. I couldn't ask for much more than that!

And yes, it's possible to fry an ESC in a crash. My fantastic F-4 crash killed the ESC even thought the motor and everything else survived the crash. When I plugged the ESC up on the bench, instant smoke and hot, hot, hot! Cut off the connectors and threw it away.

Anyone who wants to buy from Banana Hobby needs a brief look in their support forum before purchasing.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:18 PM
Pa.
Joined Mar 2009
837 Posts
hi all I think this seller is as useful as pot hole patch
dude7422 is offline Find More Posts by dude7422
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:45 AM
Metro Detroit
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
ESC issue too

I too purchased a Wingtiger from BH. I was lucky though. I took the advice from a Wintiger thread and let it run on the ground for a minute. That's how long my ESC lasted untill it "fried". I spent many hours trying to deal with with their so called "customer support". I just finally gave up on them. Lesson learned. The only problem, is I seem to be having a problem locating a comprable brushed 30 AMP ESC to replace it.
Mongo99 is offline Find More Posts by Mongo99
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:53 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
mtdoramike,

I agree with your assessment of the stripped servo scenario. Servos strip all the time. Hell, I've stripped 3 already, and I've only been flying for less than a year now.

However there's a big difference between a stripped servo, and a blown ESC. I've yet to have an ESC go out on me, nor have I even heard of anyone's ESC going out on them on maiden. The vendor should most definitely replace the ESC at minimum.

I'd bet Neil up at Graves would agree with me too.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:49 PM
Metro Detroit
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Quote:
The vendor should most definitely replace the ESC at minimum.
I agree. I didn't think I was asking too much for BH to do that. A pretty simple customer service act, if you ask me.I have seen a few threads about bad ESC's in the Wingtiger. I have a feeling they would just replace it with another one that wouldn't last anyways. I wish I had the money and know how to take out the electronics, and put a decent brushless system in. It's a good starter airframe.
Mongo99 is offline Find More Posts by Mongo99