That is awesome, well done!
Jetsom is offline Find More Posts by Jetsom
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2015, 07:44 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,372 Posts
Joel, words can not express you how cool that is!!!! Excellent work my friend, now I want one!

Edit:
How much throttle percentage were you using for hover? Did you happen to get any measurements for hover wattage? Just curious ...
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Mar 24, 2015, 02:55 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
6,108 Posts
You almost hovered longer than some fly...

Please tell what watts you used... this is amazing
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:46 PM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
640 Posts
Congrats Joel, That's a great accomplishment. I always said, modelers are some of the brightest people i know.

Dean
buckaroo is online now Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Mar 25, 2015, 01:39 AM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,716 Posts
Hi Joel, happy to share ideas. I saw your work with the single sail winch servo but decided to use gearmotors so that I could come up with my own solution instead of replicating yours. Plus they can provide yaw control without the need for another servo, so I have 3 bearing joints instead of 4.

Biggest issue I'm having at the moment is getting enough authority from the roll posts. I suspect you've run into this too. I really want to make it work with bleed from the main fan rather than adding separate fans. Perhaps we can discus via PM or in another thread.
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Joel, words can not express you how cool that is!!!! Excellent work my friend, now I want one!

Edit:
How much throttle percentage were you using for hover? Did you happen to get any measurements for hover wattage? Just curious ...
hi i use a 90mm and a 80mm edf. current while hovering is about 60amps. taking off vertical about 90 amps. i use 6s 5000mah from apl. throttle percentage is about 55% so i have enough for the whole jet hover time about 3 minutes
Joel_Vlashof is offline Find More Posts by Joel_Vlashof
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:58 AM
Joined Nov 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsom View Post
That is awesome, well done!
thanks dude!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:02 AM
Joined Nov 2012
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
Hi Joel, happy to share ideas. I saw your work with the single sail winch servo but decided to use gearmotors so that I could come up with my own solution instead of replicating yours. Plus they can provide yaw control without the need for another servo, so I have 3 bearing joints instead of 4.

Biggest issue I'm having at the moment is getting enough authority from the roll posts. I suspect you've run into this too. I really want to make it work with bleed from the main fan rather than adding separate fans. Perhaps we can discus via PM or in another thread.
i have the same problem but the solution is to make smooth cornering and smooth valves. but perhaps we can start a seperata thread to share information. my roll are strong enought to keep the jet stable. but it is weak for heavy wind. i can do a nice hover under normal flyingconditions. i dont like to use seperate edfs. dead weight when normal flying.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:04 AM
Joined Nov 2012
216 Posts
Vtol x35 hover in livingroom (1 min 14 sec)

this was a test with a f22. the f35 is still in progress:P. the one who is flying is a buddy in this f35 project. i learned him how to hover. my goal is to make the f35 as easy as an drone. i used the pixhawk combined whit the kk2.1. (sorry for my bad english :P i'm from holland)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 08:02 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,372 Posts
I've been flying electric RC since 1993. Back then we used NiCd batteries (heavy) and brushed motors (bad eff.) for power. Something like this would be a dream way back then and few tried it. Amazing to see these finally work, Keep up the inspiration !
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Today, 12:56 AM
Van Nuys
Joined Mar 2004
1,136 Posts
Dude, that is f@#$ing Tight!!!!!
demetrius is offline Find More Posts by demetrius