Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by jetset44
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,751 Posts
Build Log
Consolidated PB2Y Coronado

Here's my latest design to share with the forum, a foam parkflyer model of the Consolidated PB2Y-3 Coronado flying boat. This model is built almost entirely from 6mm and 3mm Depron, and features four motors and working retractable wingtip floats. With a 60” span and 41 oz AUW, it has a nice light wing loading (only 12.6 oz/ft2) and can be flown slow and scale-like and in small fields. I have two flights on the model so far, and it’s very docile and easy to fly. Flight videos are posted below.

The PB2Y was one of the more obscure American warplanes from WWII, and even devout airplane geeks often struggle to recognize it. It was intended to be a larger and faster replacement for the famous PBY Catalina, but never achieved the same level of success (due in large part to poor range capability). About 200 were built and used throughout the war for long-range patrol, transports, anti-submarine, and bombing. Today only one Coronado survives, and is on display at the U.S. Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, Florida.

While the PB2Y may be an obscure airplane to some, it has always been near and dear to me since it’s the primary airplane my grandfather, Lt. JG Leland Shumate, piloted during WWII. I grew up hearing amazing war stories about his exploits in the airplane, so it has always been on my lifetime “bucket list” to someday build an RC model of the PB2Y to honor his legacy. Hence this model!

Here are the technical specs:

Wing area: 470 sq in
Span: 59.6"
Length: 41.2"
Weight RTF: 41 oz
Wing loading: 12.6 oz/sq ft
Motor: Suppo 2208/12
Battery: 2100 mAh 11.1V
Prop: APC 6x4 (2 standard rotation, 2 pusher rotation)
Current max: 40 amps total (10 amps per motor)
Watts: 450 watts total
Power loading: 175 watts/lb
Thrust-to-weight ratio: 1.7:1
Speed control: Castle Creations Phoenix 10
Flight controls: Elevator, ailerons, rudder, throttle, retractable tip floats
Number of servos: 6

I picked this particular power systems since it’s lightweight, relatively inexpensive, and spins a scale-diameter 6” prop. The fact that this system also provides a 1.7:1 thrust-to-weight ratio (!!!) was just a by-product. Needless to say, there’s no need to use more than half-throttle on this model and it cruises well at only quarter-throttle. I also used counter-rotating props to eliminate asymmetric thrust effects, made possible by the fact that APC makes both standard and pusher rotation versions of their 6x4 prop. I would have included differential throttle for better control while taxiing on water, but the extra channels in my 7 channel receiver were already being used for the retractable wing tip floats.

As with most of my RC model designs, I started with a scale outline of the PB2Y but made a few changes to make the model easier to build and to fly better as a parkflyer. The two biggest changes were increasing the horizontal and vertical tail areas by 10% (for better handling) and changing the wing airfoil to a flat-bottom Clark Y (to allow building the wing flat on the workbench). These deviations from scale are relatively small, and I doubt most folks will even notice.

I’m still working to clean up the building plans, and will post them here once they’re done. As always, I would be thrilled to see others build this model! It’s a bit more complex than my park jet designs, but is still pretty easy to build due to the sheet foam construction.

Steve

UPDATE (4-4-16):
Plans for this model are now available in post #79 of this thread. Here's a link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=79

PB2Y Coronado Parkflyer (5 min 6 sec)

PB2Y Coronado RC model (2 min 22 sec)
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Last edited by jetset44; Apr 04, 2016 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added link to YouTube flight video
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:23 AM
Find More Posts by jetset44
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,751 Posts
Construction details

Here are photos of some of the construction details of this model.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:42 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
14,406 Posts
Steve ... you are THE man !!

Looking fwd to plans.

Cheers
Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 12, 2016, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by Schorsch47
Germany, BB, Hennigsdorf
Joined Aug 2014
26 Posts
Only one admiring word: Genial!
Schorsch47 is offline Find More Posts by Schorsch47
Old Mar 12, 2016, 02:01 AM
Find More Posts by georgy
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
857 Posts
Awesome!
georgy is online now Find More Posts by georgy
Old Mar 12, 2016, 05:05 AM
Find More Posts by pistnbroke
absolutely maybe
Australia, WA, Currambine
Joined Apr 2011
785 Posts
Another beautiful ship Steve, amazing!

Regards
Ian
pistnbroke is offline Find More Posts by pistnbroke
Old Mar 12, 2016, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by Model Aero
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,827 Posts
That's quite an ambitious build Steve. Very nice indeed! How long have you been working on it?
Model Aero is online now Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Mar 12, 2016, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
418 Posts
Very very Nice!

Finally a new plane from Master Steve

Can´t wait for the plans

Toby
GermanTigger is online now Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Old Mar 12, 2016, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
11,888 Posts
Beautiful plane and great build! Love the smooth handling. In a view against those clouds I'd swear it was a full size! Congrats!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
Old Mar 12, 2016, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by jeffsch
Jer. 29:11
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Oct 2009
1,115 Posts
Sign me up if you'd like a beta builder!
jeffsch is offline Find More Posts by jeffsch
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by micol
France, PACA, Gap
Joined Jan 2015
43 Posts
On each pictures, the details and the building quality are a feast for the eyes !
micol is offline Find More Posts by micol
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by pakrat1022
United States, NC, Zebulon
Joined Jan 2010
36 Posts
Very nice indeed
pakrat1022 is online now Find More Posts by pakrat1022
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by cbalgra
Orange, CA
Joined Jun 2007
593 Posts
Steve,
One word to describe that flight.... Majestic. Another wonderful build. What a fitting tribute to your grandfather. Looking forward to seeing it "off the water".
Brad
cbalgra is offline Find More Posts by cbalgra
Old Mar 12, 2016, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by cbalgra
Orange, CA
Joined Jun 2007
593 Posts
I occasionally get down to San Diego with work, and work at the site that was once the tarmac and ramp for Consolidated Aircraft. For many years, the area in the photo below, has been the rental car center for the current Lindbergh Field. Recently, the airport has built and opened a huge, new rental center across the field from the old facility and most of this area again is unused. I am afraid that eventually this will be developed into hotel and tourism businesses, but wanted to share these pics before this sites' history is completely forgotten.

Every time I get down there, I look through the fence at the old ramp and wonder how many huge amphibious aircraft have rolled down that ramp and flown from the bay.

The ramp is still there today, albeit somewhat cracked, but in fairly good shape after many years. I'm sure very few people know of it's importance in aviation history.

The attached video shows a Coronado rolling down the ramp and taxiing in the San Diego bay.

The first photo shows the ramps current state. The second, has a steel fixture that appears to be some type of loading dock for boats possibly. Not quite sure. Maybe someone here knows.

Consolidated PB2Y Coronado (2 min 45 sec)
cbalgra is offline Find More Posts by cbalgra
Old Mar 12, 2016, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by elewon
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2013
538 Posts
Steve, very nice indeed! Seems to have pretty wide flight envelope for the wing loading.

Would love to see it land on water.

PS: Didn't know Seattle has parks not covered with snow at this time of the year!
elewon is offline Find More Posts by elewon