New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2015, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by TarikAgcayazi
OhItsTarik
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Help!
I need help/funding for a summer research project!

Link to gofundme: http://www.gofundme.com/summerresearch

Hello everyone. I'll make a quick introduction and jump straight into the topic.

I've had this hobby for a long time now. I first started when i was around 9 years old. At that time, i was only flying ready to fly models, but after 8 years, i can still remember the amount of fun i was having. At 11, i decided to drop the hobby because i was running through airplanes faster than Usain Bolt going through his 100 meters. On my 15th birthday, my parents bought me a plane, and i got back into the hobby. I've been building since i was early 16, and now i need your help for an extensive summer project.

I've always recieved funding from some outside source (my father), but due to the amount of resources this project will need, i need your help.

I've designed other planes before. VTOL has been my biggest project so far, but this projects will need much more resources than the VTOL project, which was a huge project overall (which got me a recognition and award by the air force office of scientific research).

The final product will be two flying wings, truly scratch built from ground up, autonomous to some extent, and very low costs. Along the way i will use my skills to design two wings (already started work on one,
mUAV flight with no FC (2 min 3 sec)
(This was a flight test from a week ago, i have changed quite a bit on the design since then)), and will learn new skills, like programming. I am a highly proficient researcher, and writing code will take me time, and multiple arduino boards, but I am confident that I will get it done. Plus, I have an electrical engineering major with some computer science helping me. I know all of the skills required to design and build a flying wing. This project will also teach me the industrialization of products, and mass production of them, alongside with programming. This is huge for me, as it will be very educational, alongside with allowing to use my summer up without wasting my time.

Thank you everybody.
TarikAgcayazi is offline Find More Posts by TarikAgcayazi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by basicguy
Ayn Rand Sez.............
United States, MO, La Plata
Joined Dec 2014
414 Posts
I can't help your financially but could give you advice. Instead of begging, perhaps you could get a part time job. Might take a day and a sheet of dollar store foam.
basicguy is online now Find More Posts by basicguy
Old May 18, 2015, 08:44 PM
OhItsTarik
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
I would love to get a part time job. I'm applying to a hobby store close to my location already.

Also; i already work with dollar tree foam. I'm modeling everything after it, but the final cad designs/molds will be for epp injection. I'll still have lots of tests to do since the weight of the plane will be different, and the wing loading will be different, and the weights will also be in different places.

Of course, i could just get a motor that could ignore all that.. but yeah i'm aiming for flight time here.

And for the begging part... I've seen a couple raise $5000 on that website for a honeymoon, and some guy raise $55,000 to make potato salad on kickstarter. If that can happen... you start to wonder.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by Low and Slow
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
503 Posts
Wow. I'm old. Thanks for the laugh. Go see a banker and tell him your idea. See what he says. He probably could use a good laugh too
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old May 19, 2015, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,123 Posts
I used to deliver newspapers and mow lawns to support my hobby. Still works.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 19, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by Granted
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I used to deliver newspapers and mow lawns to support my hobby. Still works.

Gord.
Mow lawns and wash cars always worked for me.
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old May 19, 2015, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by whanderson
Baltimore Bwi Rr Stn, Maryland, United States
Joined Oct 2003
533 Posts
Among the things you seek to "learn" on this project should be proper English grammar and spelling. I have been an aerospace engineer for many years and have learned that if you can't write it well you can't build it well.
whanderson is offline Find More Posts by whanderson
Old May 19, 2015, 10:21 AM
OhItsTarik
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Like i said, part time jobs will definitely increase funds for the hobby, but once you're a student athlete, and you're in the science olympiad team, and you're doing two science fairs, and you make videos for your school's morning show every day for a week, once every couple weeks, jobs really start cutting into your time. I have classes (taking 4 IB's next year) on top of all that, i'm sure you can understand that going to a decent university is important for me. Sure, over the summer, i wont have most of these things, but i still have responsibilities over the summer. I'm taking a class, and am going over to ODU to work on an SAE project (airplane limited to a kilowatt power supply, goal is to carry the most amount of weight) (The professor said "maybe help out". Not sure if i will be able to, but i'm just happy to go get experience) with some college students at the beginning of the school year. I also have Y-20 soccer camps as well. If i want to make a product that i will sell, i want it to be as good as it can be.

The fact that you call this funny is ironic to me. What about all the professors that fund research for their undergrads? Why don't they laugh in their faces and tell them to "Get a job/mow a lawn"? Don't get me wrong - i'm not trying to convince you all to donate. I'm only trying to justify why i've made this gofundme.
Plus, I'm making efforts already, like applying for part time jobs. Nobody needs an overqualified employee to distribute bread at panera. There's no guarantee that i will get a job, especially with my schedule. They need someone who can listen to their managers, and work overtime without any complaints; almost everyone can do that. My ability to play a decent game of football, or fold a couple pieces of foam board doesn't help my case too much. I'm trying my luck nonetheless.

Whanderson, thanks for pointing out my flubs on grammar and spelling. I rushed the descriptions since i was posting this on multiple sites. If you saw the letter "i" not capitalized, it's mainly because i'm used to my phone automatically capitalizing it. Will fix that, and clean up the post overall in a bit. I also find it interesting how you've only focused on my grammar and spelling in this thread, while i'm not a native speaker, and (presumably) most of the people here are.

If the airplane in the video does not fly well, let me know. Feedback is well appreciated.

Like i said. I've seen someone get $55k on a potato salad. Don't believe me? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...9/potato-salad

I'm just trying my luck to see if i can get some extra funds on my project. Thanks for all interest.

Tarik
Last edited by TarikAgcayazi; May 19, 2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarikAgcayazi View Post
Link to gofundme: http://www.gofundme.com/summerresearch

.................................................. .................................

The final product will be two flying wings, truly scratch built from ground up, autonomous to some extent, and very low costs. Along the way i will use my skills to design two wings (already started work on one, .................................................. ...

You are asking for funding to make two very low cost flying wings ?

Low cost flying wings are being designed, built and flown all the time, (Flying Wings forum and Foamies Scratchbuilt forum ). The UAV forum and VTOLs forum cover the 'autonomous' side.

Where is your innovation ?, your 'something new' that no one else has already done ?.
"..due to the amount of resources this project will need,..", what project ?, two low cost flying wings ?

Your request comes across as you just want someone to fund your hobby, (previously your father).
To obtain funding for a project, you really need to explain what the project is, - why it's important enough to request funding, - explain who it will help, - and importantly why people should give you money without any expected return.

Search for, and look at what other modelers have done and offered in return for funding a project. Serious projects, with logical and useful outcomes.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 19, 2015, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by bz1mcr
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,733 Posts
Tarik,
You seem to be a very busy young man. I commend you for participating in these "projects" and seeking new skills and knowledge. Like some of the others I funded my projects with paper routes, and odd jobs for the neighbors. But, unlike the others I commend you for taking the initiative to tryout some of these new opportunities that were not available when we were your age.

I understand English is not your first language. But, you would have a much stronger appeal if readers had a better idea of what you want to do, and why. I think your go fund me appeal would benefit from a better description of exactly what your project is. Try to describe what "success" will be and how that is different from what is currently available. What will your new flying wings do that others do not.

Explain your plan of approach. Will you be using gyros, cameras, and other sensors to feed information to the controller/s (arduino boards)? What sensors will be tried?
What is the biggest challenge to be over come?

I am guessing that the heart of the project is the "autonomous to some extent".
A low cost flying wing does not seem to be a very ambitious project with out the autonomous part.

Finely, what is the purpose? Just for you to gain experience with flight controls and programing Arduino boards or to demonstrate some new capability and share the technology with others?
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old May 19, 2015, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,123 Posts
Tarik
You have too much on your plate. You need to start out with paper plates.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 19, 2015, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
14,788 Posts
Actually a lot of brilliant designs have probably started out on paper napkins.

All the paper plate seems to achieved is those round flying wings

Now, was it the Frisbee that evolved into a Pizza, or was it the other way around. Both seem to taste about the same.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 19, 2015, 03:28 PM
OhItsTarik
Joined Feb 2013
119 Posts
Eflightray, thanks for bringing that up. It's a question i've been asking myself.

My parents have been telling me to start making profit off of this. I've always thought, "How? This is so basic. People on the forums make the same things at a lower cost of what i would sell it at".

That's also the reason why i havent bought a single kit for a long while. Whenever i came across one i liked, i always turned it down because "I could do it myself for cheaper", but also at the other end, i felt lazy at times and just wanted to fly a plane.

I did a research on cc3d after your comment, and i just realized that i'm not doing anything new. It's cheap, has gps functionality.. what else can you ask for? exactly what i was going for, except it's already made

Well.

So what will i do from here?

Ill develop a fixed wing stabilizer. An even longer goal (this one is pretty much a dream. Not even on the drawing board) is pre-determined flight maneuvers. For example, switch one is a circle, switch two lands (have to set up a landing altitude pre-flight, once it gets to that it cuts throttle and keeps heading, etc), switch three is free flight, no stabilizer/baro, four is keep this heading, etc etc. A step after that is gps telemetry, but that's something that will get finished by 2016.

I'll have a source code and instructions for people who want to tinker with arduinos. In reality, this is nothing groundbreaking, and nowhere near as exciting as i would like it to be, but everyone has to start somewhere. I'll be adding to the community.

bz1mcr, you are correct. Without the autonomous part, this project pretty much amounts to nothing. As much as i want to say "b-but there are kits on hobbyking that are selling", it's useless to make one more that features nothing new. I think for now, i'll make some videos for a couple people for money and get started. The wing is the easy part. Once i have that finished, i'll release plans (if i figure out how to make them), and i'll finish up work on the arduino.

I guess that's where i can start. Honestly i don't like it when people on kickstarter/gofundme gets funded for a product that so many people on here can do so easily. I don't need to be that person.

Thanks to everyone. This thread has been pretty educational for me. I'll get to work
Old May 19, 2015, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by Azarr
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post

Now, was it the Frisbee that evolved into a Pizza, or was it the other way around. Both seem to taste about the same.
I should have laid claim to the Frisbee. We found out at an early age that the pie pans from the Frisbee Pie Company made great flying objects. Located in my old home town, it was a common toy for a while. The problem was that the (metal)pie plates had a return deposit so it was hard to hold on to them for any length of time before our parents found them. It must have had something to do with the slope angle on the sides because their competitor's pans were the Hydrox cookie of pie pan throwing. Of course that was back in the last century before Dustin Hoffman discovered plastics

Azarr

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisbie_Pie_Company
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; May 19, 2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old May 21, 2015, 01:01 AM
Find More Posts by vg33
United States, KY, Vine Grove
Joined Jun 2012
283 Posts
If this is not a joke, it should be. (Almost) Unbelievable.
vg33 is offline Find More Posts by vg33