SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2015, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by byeplane
United States, CT, Washington
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Question
Walk along Wing - weight question

I built a powered walk along EPP glider, wingspan 58" and weight without battery is about 4.9 oz and the wing surface is a hair over 4 sq ft. I have been trying to fly it outside when it is calm but the slightest air movement throws it around. I think I should add some weight to be able to penetrate the wind. I think the wing loading is too light for outdoor flying, any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ed
byeplane is online now Find More Posts by byeplane
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by tenbars
Joined Nov 2007
143 Posts
Walking speed, as in 3-4mph? Others smarter than me will have a better answer but I don't see how it's possible to keep that speed and not have light winds toss it around.

However, for fun I would Saran wrap the bottom and play with larger batteries instead of adding weight. Good Luck, I hope you find the golden ticket…
tenbars is online now Find More Posts by tenbars
Old May 18, 2015, 06:28 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
I've been looking at my heavy batteries and will try that out rather than adding dead weight. Hadn't thought about a flat bottom to the wing will give that a go also. Thanks.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by Murman
Someone get me a ladder!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,315 Posts
Tenbars is right, most anything with an under-cambered wing like that will be unstable in the wind. I'll bet it flies great when it's calm, though.
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
Old May 21, 2015, 07:59 AM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Murman,

I hear what you are saying, I noticed the twitchy behaviour it can loop in a two foot circle. I just ordered a flight stabilizer, will see how that will deal with the wind.
Old May 21, 2015, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
2,293 Posts
Restrict it's use to indoor flying (make sure the AC isn't on).
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel