New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2015, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by Spkey
United States, AZ, Carefree
Joined Oct 2013
20 Posts
Discussion
First 3d airplane

I have a T28 and a Taylorcraft 450. I have read the 47" Edge SHP is a decent first 3d airplane. I like the balsa wood airplanes compared to the foamies.

Anyone have the Edge and what are your thoughts?

Thanks.
Spkey is offline Find More Posts by Spkey
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2015, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by Gregertman
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,492 Posts
Get the Extreme Flight 48 exp edge. You won't be disappointed.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old May 15, 2015, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by Trev4
United Kingdom
Joined May 2014
40 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Extreme Flight Edge as a 3D trainer. I would suggest buying the motor, esc, servo combination that EF recommends. Then build and set up as per the instructions. It will fly great and you will not be disappointed. For more information on this plane check out Doc Austins blog.
Hope this helps.
Trev4 is offline Find More Posts by Trev4
Old May 15, 2015, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,147 Posts
Once you are fearless with a T28 you will be able to fly most good 3D planes on low rate without a lot of trouble. Edges in general are better for learning 3D because their straight leading edge wing flies into and out of a stall with more stability. Having said that, I love Extras and plan to build my own SHP soon.

Please check out the New Sport Pilot's Guide To 3D and that will give you a good starting point for actually flying 3D.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old May 15, 2015, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by Spkey
Joined Oct 2013
20 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I thought the write up by Doc Austin is very informative and extremely helpful. Until I feel very comfortable with the T28 I will buy the 47" Edge SHP.
Old May 15, 2015, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spkey View Post
Thanks for the tips. I thought the write up by Doc Austin is very informative and extremely helpful. Until I feel very comfortable with the T28 I will buy the 47" Edge SHP.
The SHP is a very friendly plane. Fly it on low rates at first and then get used to it at altitude on high rates. If you have an experienced 3D guy in your club, lean on him for some help.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old May 15, 2015, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Time will tell
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev4 View Post
You can't go wrong with the Extreme Flight Edge as a 3D trainer.
To call the EF edge a 3D traininer always strikes me as unfair. It is a fun plane, unlike a lot of RC trainers. (But then again, the T28 with a big foot 15 and reinforced wings is also a fun plane--the only plane I've ever done an inverted tail drag with).
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old May 16, 2015, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by Potoczak
United States, PA, Kunkletown
Joined Mar 2015
56 Posts
I'm also looking for a first 3d plane. Anyone have any experience with the 3dhs 42" slick?? Would that plane be ok for a first 3d plane???
Potoczak is online now Find More Posts by Potoczak
Old May 16, 2015, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by PilotGeek
Joined Apr 2015
41 Posts
Having just done this a few months ago..I wish I would have started with the 60" series. 60 edge to be more specific. Don't be intimidated by going bigger...they cost almost the same and the flight characteristics will be better. A lot better. There are better servos available for them too. In the sub micro class, the Hitec 5070's do the job in the SHP, but they cost almost as much as the plane. I faught hs-65mg's for a while, but they had bad blowback issues...almost put it in on a downline because the elevator wouldn't work.

Anywhoo..I love my 47 SHP, but it's really short coupled...the fuse isn't very long. Makes for a squaty looking plane and twitchy hovers, knife edge's etc. Wish I had a 60 instead.

Just my 2cents
PilotGeek is offline Find More Posts by PilotGeek
Old May 16, 2015, 01:00 AM
Find More Posts by Trev4
United Kingdom
Joined May 2014
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
I'm also looking for a first 3d plane. Anyone have any experience with the 3dhs 42" slick?? Would that plane be ok for a first 3d plane???
The 42" Slick is a great plane, however I would suggest going for something slightly bigger like the 51" slick or an EF 48". A larger plane will cope with wind better, be more forgiving of mistakes and fly smoother. When learning 3d these things are very important.
This was my experience with these planes, however, I have no doubt that others will disagree.
Hope this helps.
Trev4 is offline Find More Posts by Trev4
Old May 16, 2015, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by Potoczak
United States, PA, Kunkletown
Joined Mar 2015
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev4 View Post
The 42" Slick is a great plane, however I would suggest going for something slightly bigger like the 51" slick or an EF 48". A larger plane will cope with wind better, be more forgiving of mistakes and fly smoother. When learning 3d these things are very important.
This was my experience with these planes, however, I have no doubt that others will disagree.
Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGeek View Post
Having just done this a few months ago..I wish I would have started with the 60" series. 60 edge to be more specific. Don't be intimidated by going bigger...they cost almost the same and the flight characteristics will be better. A lot better. There are better servos available for them too. In the sub micro class, the Hitec 5070's do the job in the SHP, but they cost almost as much as the plane. I faught hs-65mg's for a while, but they had bad blowback issues...almost put it in on a downline because the elevator wouldn't work.

Anywhoo..I love my 47 SHP, but it's really short coupled...the fuse isn't very long. Makes for a squaty looking plane and twitchy hovers, knife edge's etc. Wish I had a 60 instead.

Just my 2cents

Thanks for the reply guys!! I would love to get a 51" slick but they are out of stock. That was my first choice. Anyone have a idea when they are coming back in stock or are they coming out with a new version??
Potoczak is online now Find More Posts by Potoczak
Old May 16, 2015, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGeek View Post

Just my 2cents
they are a lot more expensive than a 48'' bird. 48'' bird is $450 to setup 60'' bird is 800-1k. 48'' airframe is only $180 60'' airframe is $300. also batteries are almost double the price.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old May 16, 2015, 08:53 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
Joined Oct 2010
4,949 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love 60'' planes, however thy are not what I would suggest to learn on unless you have a lot of money to replace them. with a 48'' bird you can buy two airframes for the same price. therefore you can have a backup and not be as afraid to crash.
Old May 16, 2015, 08:55 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
Joined Oct 2010
4,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
Thanks for the reply guys!! I would love to get a 51" slick but they are out of stock. That was my first choice. Anyone have a idea when they are coming back in stock or are they coming out with a new version??
51'' slick is not a beginner 3D plane. I own one, and they fly great however I do not think they make a good first 3d plane. If I were you I would geta 32'' epp bird and a 3dhs 48'' edge or 47'' extra. both are extremely forgiving.
Old May 16, 2015, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by Spkey
Joined Oct 2013
20 Posts
I like the 47" Edge. There is a build video and there is a ton of info on all the forums about this plane. I'm sold!