New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2015, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by MrSato
Trying to make sense of it all
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Yokohama
Joined Oct 2009
179 Posts
Discussion
RCTimer Indy 250 Plus (discussion, build, and review)

Hey guys, just want to start a discussion thread about the new RCTimer Indy 250 Plus that was just released last week.
Here's a link to it: http://www.rctimer.com/product-1343.html
History:
This is basically a progression from the original RCTimer Indy 250 (http://goo.gl/iUoXZa), which was in response to the Tarot TL250A (http://goo.gl/CNqUni). Basically the Tarot came out and the thread (http://goo.gl/02Mybm) took off. There were some complaints by people building the Tarot, and soon RCTimer put out the Indy 250, fixing most of what people complained about on the Tarot. That's when I decided to buy the Indy 250 instead of the Tarot.
One of the things some people wanted to mod on the Tarot/Indy is to expand the space between the PDB and main plates. A few people did, and I was planning it when I got the newsletter with the Indy 250 Plus in it. One recurring theme in people's posts was that we liked the frame for how clean you could do the build. Indeed, that was one of the points that made me like this frame over other minis. So in RCTimer fashion, they went a step further and integrated a uBEC on the PBD. When I saw all the photos of the Plus, I immediately ordered one. It should arrive today. Thus, this thread to document the "build" (not much to build as it comes mostly built from what understand), and give a full review. Hopefully we'll get others on the thread who have comments or can also document and discuss their builds of the Indy 250 Plus.

Stock Images:
MrSato is offline Find More Posts by MrSato
Last edited by MrSato; May 11, 2015 at 11:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2015, 06:39 PM
Joined Oct 2009
179 Posts
Unboxing photos

She has arrived!
Here are the initial photos as it came.

The extra props and antenna mount didn't make it in the box. They alerted me to this before I received it, and said it was sent, with their apologies. At least one set of props are in the package, and I already have one of the same antenna mounts for my first iteration Indy 250 that I'll probably go ahead and use on this one. Then put the new one on the old quad.
Last edited by MrSato; May 12, 2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old May 11, 2015, 06:40 PM
Joined Oct 2009
179 Posts
Build photos and videos

Not much to "build". First I'll just get it in the air. So I mounted a TX and antenna mount. Note that this is not necessarily the permanent location for the RX or antenna. I'll also be cleaning up the RX wires... naturally.

The details on the site say it's pre-tuned, so I should be able to just put a receiver on this, connect up a LiPo and get it hovering. We'll see!
Last edited by MrSato; May 12, 2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old May 11, 2015, 06:40 PM
Joined Oct 2009
179 Posts
My review

OK, let's address the frame overall first. Let me also say first that I thought 450 heli skids were a great idea before I bought the original Indy. There's been a lot of talk about how fragile and even how springy they are (a bounce causes the FC to react and it can be a little unnerving). There's been some mods done out there, but none are much better than the original skids. I've seen carbon 450 skids (like Tarot's), but they don't fit, and even with some effort, could not be made to fit in a reliable and strong manner. The first thing I'd like to see changed on this by RCTimer's engineers is the landing gear. We need something more durable and less springy... ideally something like Tarot's CF 450 skids.

The overall quality of the kit is top notch for sure. The props seem a little weak, but I don't think any of use care one bit about that since we'll both be breaking them straight away, and/or be replacing them with our favorite props anyway. I think I can problem figure out a configuration that will allow 6" props too, but right now they would hit my antenna/mount. I'll have to work on that because I loves me some 6" 3 blade props!

I read a comment on another thread about this frame looking a little weak. I'm not sure what that is in comparison to, but I can assure you this thing is rigid and quite strong. They Of course, only a nice hard crash will tell us for sure. I'll do my best to get that done once I have it fairly dialed in.

Speaking of dialed in, I got everything put together and connected it to OpenPilotGCS to configure the TX/RX. It read the config and let me do the TX/RX Wizard. Problem is, when I went to test the motors, I got an error saying it was in an error state or there were no inputs. So, having saved the factory config to my hard drive before anything, I decided to start fresh. I went through the Vehicle Wizard and TX/RX wizards again (after doing update and erase). From RCTimer, it had 15.2 on it. It now has 15.2.1. I made the settings pretty soft so I could at least get it in a hover before the battery died. That's exactly what I did. But not before noticing that one of the motors took a bit more stick than the others to start, while doing the setup. Overall they take more than my original Indy, which uses ZMR 1804 2400kv motors and ZTW Spider Opto 12A ESCs. The norm on the Plus is 1164/5 (the one I'm concerned about starts at 1171) and the Orig. Indy starts at 1061 all around.

I put it in a hover without much fanfare, but there was a rather loud high pitch noise coming from one or all of the motors. I don't think it's normal or good. My theory is that it's the one that took more throttle to start. Tomorrow I'll connect up the ESCs to BLHeliSuite to see if there's something up in there. Maybe one ESC has different settings or something.

I had a rather long reply to a post about their assessment of this quad, based on the info on the rctimer.com website, that might be usefull to some. Rather than typing some of that info here, here's a link to that reply: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=956
More to come...
Last edited by MrSato; May 12, 2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old May 15, 2015, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by nismo200sx16
United States, PA, Newville
Joined Aug 2011
59 Posts
just got my hands on one if these today. got it going for a buddy of mine that was having trouble getting it going. sounds like I had the same exact issues as you had. had to erase it all and start over to get it going. and one motor took more throttle to get it going. my only problem now is I did not save the settings before the erase. you think you could post a screen shot of the pid settings you are running?
nismo200sx16 is offline Find More Posts by nismo200sx16
Old May 15, 2015, 09:52 PM
Joined Oct 2009
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo200sx16 View Post
just got my hands on one if these today. got it going for a buddy of mine that was having trouble getting it going. sounds like I had the same exact issues as you had. had to erase it all and start over to get it going. and one motor took more throttle to get it going. my only problem now is I did not save the settings before the erase. you think you could post a screen shot of the pid settings you are running?
Here you go.

I actually redid mine again, let it flash, etc... the whole deal. For some reason my motors take less throttle than before, which is super strange. What I have right now are the default PIDs. I usually pick one of the templates and go from there, but since I've been having issues, I thought I'd try the default from the wizard. I did a test in my front yard and turns out it's pretty nice. I'll probably up the settings a bit for more response and then take it to the park for some higher speed flight for tuning.

Also, the motors make a high pitch sound... most are not too loud, but that one is to the point of being annoying. I haven't had this on previous quads with different motors, but I do see some on youtube with the same kind of sound. Not sure what that's about. They're sending me another to try, maybe it will be quieter like the rest and it won't be annoying.

BTW, if you get settings that you like, be sure to post them!
Last edited by MrSato; May 15, 2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by yoadrian
32 ft/sec^2 sucks
Joined Nov 2006
181 Posts
One question I have with the new indy250. It says it has opto 20amp blheli escs. Do you set the CC3D to the std 50hz rate or to rapid 490hz?
yoadrian is offline Find More Posts by yoadrian
Old Yesterday, 01:16 AM
Joined Oct 2009
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoadrian View Post
One question I have with the new indy250. It says it has opto 20amp blheli escs. Do you set the CC3D to the std 50hz rate or to rapid 490hz?

if you are using PWM then yes rapidESC, but if you are using ppm you can use either rapidESC or one shot.
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM
Find More Posts by Waterbound
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
4,446 Posts
I'm not a fan of the cheapie looking landing gear but otherwise it's a nice looking quad!
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Joined Oct 2009
179 Posts
Well, they are from a 450 heli. Some like it, some don't. I think it makes more sense than stand-offs, but I think there could be a better, similar solution.
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by yoadrian
32 ft/sec^2 sucks
Joined Nov 2006
181 Posts
Thanks MrSato, I have it working now. Is there a way to pull voltage from the ccrd board or frame to send to the D4R frsky RX to communicate it to the taranis radio like the naze32 boards?
yoadrian is offline Find More Posts by yoadrian
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by gizmatron
Joined Jan 2014
191 Posts
if you mean as a telemetry reading just use the FrSky Battery Voltage Sensor (FBVS-01) and plug and make up the connector wire for the telemetry port. just did one for my X6Rsbus RX works fine,, appears as A2 volatge on my 9xr-pro.. should be exact same on taranis
gizmatron is offline Find More Posts by gizmatron
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by Rook62
Team Crash
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Apr 2014
2,439 Posts
Set them to 490hz. If you are going to be running Oneshot125 then choose Oneshot ESC in the setup wizard.

You might want to check out OPTune in the OpenPilot wiki. I have used it to tune and set the PIDs on 2 of my minis and am very happy with the results and it's pretty simple to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoadrian View Post
Rook62 is online now Find More Posts by Rook62
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2009
179 Posts
Once you use OPTune you never go back! XD