New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by Nitro_Nancy
United States, CA, Industry
Joined Jan 2011
622 Posts
Rave
Airfield Sonic Piercer 90mm EDF Jet Plane

Airfield accelerates the electric ducted fan jet plane to new heights with its new Sonic Piercer 90mm jet. This new Piercer is a 46 inch winged plane with a fuselage that stretches 50 inches in length. Its fuselage is designed around a powerful ChargeSun 90mm electric ducted fan unit driven by a screaming high output brushless motor and supported by a 100amp brushless electronic speed controller. Airfield applied its foam engineering expertise and developed efficient intake and exhaust ducting allowing this potent combo to produce large amounts of thrust when powered with a 6 cell lithium polymer battery. The result is a electric ducted fan jet plane with exhilarating performance and blistering speed. The tone of this particular design full song is a beautiful thing.
The Sonic Piercer possesses a level of fit and finish that is every bit as impressive as its performance. Quality EPO foam construction allows the entire skin of the plane to be smooth and slick. The sleek fuselage comes with decals pre-installed making build time much faster. The wings are semi symmetrical and have winglets designed into the tips for extra stability in banked turns.
Airfield knows how to create a desirable 90mm jet. The Piercer is packed with features any seasoned pilot would want to see a jet of this caliber possess. The plane contains a working rudder to get that nose up during moderate to slow speed turns. Main wings are reinforced with two boxed carbon spars that span across the bottom of wings for strength and rigidity. The wings are also removable via screws and plates allowing ease of transportation. Retractable landing gears are seamlessly integrated into the wing and bottom of the nose to reduce drag. Retract doors seal the front retract allowing optimum aerodynamic performance at full speed. These retracts are no twigs either, the fully CNC machined retracts feature spring loaded shafts allowing the system to dampen its landings. The retract base mounts are also fully reinforced through to the top of the wing for extra strength. Built in flaps are also integrated into this plane giving this 90mm jet the ability to slow down in the air for smooth cruising and it also comes in handy for smooth landings.
The control surfaces are delegated by digital servos for precise control. The Piercer also has a steerable nose wheel to make airstrip maneuvers easy and convenient. Other features that make this plane easy to work on are a removable hatch giving access to all servos and the large battery compartment. The ducted fan unit also has a built in removable hatch allowing quick and easy access, should the fan unit need to be serviced.
This almost ready to fly version comes with all the electronics pre-installed from the factory. You will need to assemble the plane and check all controls. You will also need a charger capable of charging 6 cell lithium polymer batteries along with batteries for the transmitter.

Specifications:
Wing span: 1171mm(46.1in)
Length: 1270 mm(50in)
Flying weight: 2300g(81.12 oz)
Servo: 4*9g metal, 7*9g,
Motor: Out runner Brushless Motor
ESC: 100A Brushless ESC
Fan Unit: 90mm ChargeSun 12blades EDF
Reatracts: CNC Electric Retracts with Delay System
10A UBEC

SHOP - http://www.nitroplanes.com/newairplanes.html

Airfield 6 Channel Sonic Piercer 90mm EDF Jet Open Box Review (5 min 55 sec)
Nitro_Nancy is offline Find More Posts by Nitro_Nancy
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2015, 07:35 AM
Find More Posts by sanman55
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,349 Posts
OK. I seem to be the first ..I just pulled the trigger on this one..I was looking for a 90mm. and really liked the looks and the retracts and doors..Also I am hopeing with the 100amp. esc. I will get longer flight times and can use the 4000mah batterys I have without buying more??
Will keep all, if any., up to date..I wish they had more info..Hope the money is not a waste..Have a Sabar 80mm and just love it..Keep you fingers crossed all
sanman55 is online now Find More Posts by sanman55
Last edited by sanman55; Feb 14, 2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 06:37 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,349 Posts
She came today... very well packed and looks good...nice and smooth foam..a couple of items I did not like...being super critical but
1. no hinges, just foam bend...for that price I expected nylon hinges.'
2. the top is just magnets...tight but would have liked a slot to stick the leading edge of the canopy in..for those blow offs
3. lacked 2- control horns for the flaps...but did have all the wires that go to the servos..
AS usual instructions are a one page thing...like freewings way of doing things better..
I know I am being super critical but at this price I should be....
I do like being able to get to the fan with a removable section...
also like that no cheater holes are necessary..makes a cleaner looking bird...
Need to get the right plug to soder on to match the battery, should come tomorrow..like to see how stout the gear are and how the doors close...the weather looks like a tue. maiden day...
Old Feb 22, 2015, 03:05 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,349 Posts
I did not receive my battery plug sat...so I had to improvise
Set my rates and made sure all was well.....well...the front gear came up and down one out of ten times..this was unacceptable ..I change it out...a pain , cause it had some glue holding it in besides the screws..I mess up one and had to get another gear from a plane because the trunion is metal I had to take apart the gear to insert the metal one...that was the problem on the first one..just screwed it up...spent over 3 hours...finally got one to work and installed..I might call nitro..but it is probably a waste...my fault for buying from them...hope the maiden goes ok.. I am burned out today...
but flaps look good and throws are fine...I have the battery back as far as it can go but still a little short of the 220mm..going to fly it anyway.....
Old Feb 24, 2015, 08:41 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,349 Posts
Ok. got my plug on Monday... Landing gear working doors sure look cool..did some plimanary amp. draw tests...I am hopeing I can fly around at half throttle, can do nicely on my 80mm sabre...At a little over half it draws 31 amps...at 680 wars..
The battery is an admiral 4000mah..60c. It is only at 50 percent charge so the full should be a lot more...with that said..it is pulling 77amps @1458watts
So it might go to 2000 watts on a full charge will see..weather in Georgia is bad for about another week......
She is ready and so am I...hope someone joins me on this thread..I can not believe I am the only one who bought this...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 06:35 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,349 Posts
I decided to call nitro on my malfunction on the nose gear...I did not feel there was much hope...even if I got someone that understood me I had taken the gear apart and it was destroyed...To my pleasant supprise they are shipping me a new gear The guy was pleasant and a quad flyer ..NICE GOING NITRO.
With that kind of support I feel better about ordering high price planes from them I almost did not buy this because I was worried about getting support...NO PROBLEM
Old Feb 27, 2015, 08:23 AM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,349 Posts
This damn winter...still no maiden...but soon