Old Nov 27, 2014, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by skippajack
old newbie ,, having a blast
United States, HI, Kapaa
Joined Jan 2014
301 Posts
Discussion
Bricked my new DX9

Just got a new DX9 yesterday, charged it up, registered it on the spectrum site and downloaded the new firmware update.

Formatted the sd card that came with the unit , transferred the file , put the card into the tx and turned it on.

I get nothing but a blank screen ,, hahaha, pull the card and turn on the DX9 and now all I have is a flashing spectrum logo, nothing else happens.

Maybe a bad card? I will run to the store and get another SD card and see what happens otherwise it is call to HH tomorrow.

Was really looking forward to this new transmitter ,, wish me luck on the new SD card!
skippajack is offline Find More Posts by skippajack
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2014, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,077 Posts
Good Luck & Happy Thanksgiving !

Did it power On when you got it out of the box?
Once confirm and all is good then you register.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 27, 2014, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by skippajack
old newbie ,, having a blast
United States, HI, Kapaa
Joined Jan 2014
301 Posts
Yup,, everything was all good out of the box,,,, I just got back from the store, picked up a 2gb fuji sd card, thre it in the computer formatted it to fat32, put the upgrade file on it and stuck it in the DX9 ,, said a little prayer and turned it on.

It started up with the spectrum logo and the load bar on the bottom and it did it's thing.

Updated to 1.06 so all is good now ,, whew, gave me a scare , must be a bad SDcard, it looks fine on the computer but the tx won't recognize it.

Thanks for the reply and have a great thanksgiving weekend!
skippajack is offline Find More Posts by skippajack
Old Nov 28, 2014, 05:37 AM
Find More Posts by ShempHoward
Australia, QLD, Rockhampton
Joined Oct 2014
72 Posts
Seems to be a pretty common problem. Happened to me and I was a little worried until I searched here and found the solution. You figured it out though.

Not sure why it happens as the SD card is fine in the computer.
ShempHoward is offline Find More Posts by ShempHoward
Old Nov 28, 2014, 05:50 AM
Find More Posts by Turbobok
South Africa, WC, Stellenbosch
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
I bought a DX7s last week, and had a similar thing happen with the supplied card. Everything booted fine without the card in, but if I inserted card and then turned on, the LED would just flash with a blank screen. Turn off, remove card and turn on again, and all was well. Replaced card with a new 1Gb, and all works perfectly. Poor quality card supplied with radio - also find the SD card is fine on the PC, for what it's worth.
Turbobok is offline Find More Posts by Turbobok
Old Nov 28, 2014, 05:54 AM
Find More Posts by freechip
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
26,077 Posts
Shame a little inexpensive SD Card is giving some owners some issues with their transmitters lucky the problem is known and many can recover quickly and easily.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 28, 2014, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
18,017 Posts
Could we have a moratorium on the word "bricked" please. That is unless the transmitter truly is dead and totally unresponsive, yet not physically damaged.

Is it even possible to "brick" a DX9 or similar without applying extreme measures?
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 28, 2014, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
28,550 Posts
I designed the radios' boot process so that it is fully recoverable. The only time one is not is when the Flash memory is erased, which could be done by connecting certain pins together on the DX8's CPU and powering it up. But that's a function of the chip, and I can't bypass that

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
10,040 Posts
Andy,

Can you also add a timeout to the boot procedure in case the CPU can not read the SD card properly and show a message "Can not read SD card!" or something like that? That would save many users frustration and comments like this thread.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
28,550 Posts
No, the bootloader codespace is packed full. I had to tweak things last time to get it all to fit.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
18,017 Posts
Bricked my new DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I designed the radios' boot process so that it is fully recoverable. The only time one is not is when the Flash memory is erased, which could be done by connecting certain pins together on the DX8's CPU and powering it up. But that's a function of the chip, and I can't bypass that

Andy
That was my point. You'd have to work at it to really brick the transmitter. No normal action would take it past easy recovery.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Nov 28, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by ShempHoward
Australia, QLD, Rockhampton
Joined Oct 2014
72 Posts
Quote:
I designed the radios' boot process so that it is fully recoverable.
That is good to know, but it doesn't stop the slight panic that sets in when this issue actually happens. And agree the word 'bricked' is technically not correct.

So has the defective SD card issue been addressed for future purchasers?

Generally the first thing you do is upgrade the firmware...then you have the problem....then you panic....then you do some searches and find out it is recoverable. Would save some stress if the card issue was addressed.

Anyway it is a minor issue and I do love my DX9.
ShempHoward is offline Find More Posts by ShempHoward
Old Nov 28, 2014, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
8,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShempHoward View Post
That is good to know, but it doesn't stop the slight panic that sets in when this issue actually happens. And agree the word 'bricked' is technically not correct.

So has the defective SD card issue been addressed for future purchasers?

Generally the first thing you do is upgrade the firmware...then you have the problem....then you panic....then you do some searches and find out it is recoverable. Would save some stress if the card issue was addressed.

Anyway it is a minor issue and I do love my DX9.
HH knows about those cards fer shere ---
I have had two bad ones -others were good and work as well as my other cards from cameras (Canon).
First card "blackout "was a real surprise to me but I just backtracked and decided the card started the problem- did the good old COMPUTER BOOT (unplugged batt and started over) then tried a different card - everything went back in place .
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Nov 28, 2014, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
10,040 Posts
Quote:
No, the bootloader codespace is packed full. I had to tweak things last time to get it all to fit.

Andy
Ouch!
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
Old Nov 28, 2014, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
8,340 Posts
The Greeks say "with patience and sweet oil , one can ---------------------------
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson