New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2015, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by Travler
Wingman
United States, AL, Randolph
Joined Mar 2004
262 Posts
I built one back when the plan was published. As the Op said it had a terrible time with taking off, wanted to ground loop something awful. All the settings were right on and without the wings it was perfect. Flew great from a hand launch, it just wouldn't get off the ground. It was my first sucessfull Biplane, sorta.
I would not recommend Lite ply sides, Way too heavy for a 09 -.15 airplane. I think the magazine article says something about balsa or lite ply being acceptable.
Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
Last edited by Travler; May 13, 2015 at 08:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2015, 12:06 PM
Find More Posts by barrymore
Joined Sep 2012
56 Posts
My laser cut Q tee short kit arrived today up here in Canada From the gentleman on this thread. He still may have one left and they are good value in today's world.

Turned out I shorted him 1.00 on his estimated additional mailing cost to Canada. Still for twenty eight dollars delivered to any American included postage a good deal as well.

He also may have a few other .049 type short kits available. Worth contacting him perhaps? I thought his .049 skylark versions might prove interesting as well to some.

I am also trying to get my hands on one of the older 54 inch comet model kits at this time as well. To build a lightweight electric version. The way things are going I may just get a set of plans from an old kit and scratch build it.
barrymore is offline Find More Posts by barrymore
Old May 15, 2015, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
348 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Barry. Glad you received it in good shape. Hope you enjoy it.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Today, 12:27 PM
Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
520 Posts
Plastic Q-tee?

Not quite sure what made me pull my old Q-tee out of the cupboard today and ponder what it would look like if I rebuilt it in correx.

For those not familiar with correx it has a less than enthusiastic reputation amongst many builders. However, if one can get hold of the lighter 2mm variety, it has numerous good points in its favour:
  • Weight similar or lower than balsa and film covering
  • Much tougher than depron or equivalent weight in balsa
  • Very quick and simple building - most edges can be folded rather than cut and glued
  • Nice surface finish that can be left white or painted - no sanding needed.
  • Suitable for both electric or glow power - light enough for electric, and strong enough for glow. Not to mention fuel proof (though I suspect the paint won't be fuel proof, so packing tape or vinyl trim would be a better option for a glow model)

It's very cheap as well - about USD4 for a 1.2m x 2.4m sheet.

On the downside, a 2mm correx wing tends to be heavier than a balsa and film wing (but about the same weight as a sheeted balsa wing). But I've got several old Q-Tee wings lying about, so I can just use one of those

Anyway, it looks like I can bring the AUW down from an admittedly heavy ~560g to a target 370g by using my original wing and building a new fuselage and tail feathers from 2mm correx. I've had to make some changes to get the CG right with the intended power plant (a little Blue Wonder with 800mAh 2S lipo) and to keep the construction simple. I've shortened the rear fuselage by 25mm, extended the nose slightly and moved the firewall forward to get the balance right. Then I have turned the curves on the fuselage into straight lines to allow me to fold the entire fuselage from a single sheet of correx. I could have kept the curves, but this would have made the construction slightly harder.

I've been playing with these modifications in Sketchup, and this is what I plan to do.
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports