HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2014, 06:32 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,555 Posts
New Product
Walkera QR Y100 Wi-Fi FPV Mini HexaCopter IOS and Android Compatible

Let discuss here the new "toy" from Walkera

For 149$ shipped (as starting price) ... people get a full GPS+FPV package ... simply amazing price.

Mainly this is a "clone" of the AR.Drone 2.0 from Parrot ... but it cost a fraction of the price (less then half)

Here is some interesting videos:

QR Y100-The top model for smartphone users-You need to enjoy in 2014. (2 min 8 sec)

eHIROBO.com open box WALKERA QR Y100 FPV Hexacopter (1 min 35 sec)

Here are the specs in

Click here for More info
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Last edited by e_lm_70; Jun 05, 2014 at 04:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2014, 06:33 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,555 Posts
I did order mine yesterday ... today it is shown as shipped to me ...

Let see how long will take the Malaysia post to land this new toy in front of my door
Old May 24, 2014, 03:37 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,354 Posts
Grüss,

My pack from BG with the Malaysian Post took almost a month!

MfG,
B
bulesz is online now Find More Posts by bulesz
Old May 24, 2014, 03:57 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
Grüss,

My pack from BG with the Malaysian Post took almost a month!

MfG,
B
BG is more fuzzy .. in respect of delivery time.

HobbyKing via HongKong post was quite fast, now with Malaysia post the lost 1 week

Anyhow, I think in 2 weeks time from now I should get this toy

If it will work half good as adverised it will be alread excellent
Old May 24, 2014, 04:08 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,354 Posts
"the built in high precision compass sensor, make the aircraft hover in the same altitude."

Do they mean "barometer" ?

BUT it is very good to see that the toygrade multis get the sensors from the big brothers.
bulesz is online now Find More Posts by bulesz
Old May 24, 2014, 04:27 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
"the built in high precision compass sensor, make the aircraft hover in the same altitude."

Do they mean "barometer" ?

BUT it is very good to see that the toygrade multis get the sensors from the big brothers.
This puppy has: 10DOF + GPS + a smart control board.

I'm wondering if they put inside a BMP180 or a MS5611 as baro sensor ... only the MS5611 is an expensive sensor over 10$ ... but 5883 / 6050 and BMP180 they cost less then or around 2$ ... for the performance seen in the video it is looking a good baro, like the MS5611 ... but .. they could have been tricky on show only the good part of the video ... anyhow.

An STM32 chip cost 2$
ATmega2560 is a bit more expensive, but not that much.

Brushed ESC and Brushed motor, cost nothing ...

In this budget, my guess is that they did suck from open source projects, for cut development costs

The big Walkera with GPS has rumors that it has a APM/MPNG clone inside
So ... if there is a 2560 chip inside, or an STM32 ... then we know from which project they did re-use the job.

Anyhow ... the unique technology here is the WiFi and smartphone support ...

I'm curious about the video quality, but I guess I could not expect anything more then 640x480 possibly at only 15fps due to WiFi limits ... no microSD on board, so I don't believe this does any HD video recording.

Still it is possible to add a FullHD camera on it in case.

Anyhow ... this sound a perfect toy for a kid ... give a smartphone phone in follow me more to a running kid in the park ... and it should be a super cool way to "record/store" good outdoor time ... also I can see tons of other funny way to use this toy.

Being little and cheap ... does also take away all the stress from operating bigger copters with similar functions.
Last edited by e_lm_70; Jun 05, 2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old May 24, 2014, 06:53 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,555 Posts
http://www.banggood.com/Boscam-CM-21...-p-928381.html

So the wifi camera alone should have a value of 59$

This is reported to make 640x480 30fps ... I guess Walkera module should do more or less the same

Ups ... actually looking around I found that walkera DV05 has 80m wifi range and 640x480 resolution ...
Last edited by e_lm_70; May 24, 2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old May 27, 2014, 05:18 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2014
40 Posts
Has anyone managed to get their hands on one of these yet? I'm interested in the quality of the feed as I may get one along with a Devo 7e.
Tupoar is offline Find More Posts by Tupoar
Old May 27, 2014, 05:35 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupoar View Post
Has anyone managed to get their hands on one of these yet? I'm interested in the quality of the feed as I may get one along with a Devo 7e.
I'm waiting for mine

I will report as soon as I will get my hands on this "toy" ... I should get it in less then 2 weeks now

I think this item is very new, so possibly nobody has it in hands unless very few prototypes sent around.

I will control mine only via mobile phone, even if you may get bigger range on Devo TX ... there will be no video feed and no video recording.

I did download the mobile phone apps, check the few videos available, and all is looking quite good ... for now
Old May 27, 2014, 06:16 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2014
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
I'm waiting for mine

I will report as soon as I will get my hands on this "toy" ... I should get it in less then 2 weeks now

I think this item is very new, so possibly nobody has it in hands unless very few prototypes sent around.

I will control mine only via mobile phone, even if you may get bigger range on Devo TX ... there will be no video feed and no video recording.

I did download the mobile phone apps, check the few videos available, and all is looking quite good ... for now
Oh thats good news!

I plan to use the TX as I hate flying using a device. I'll still use my phone for video though. Thats the plan anyway, but all depends on what the video is like.
Tupoar is offline Find More Posts by Tupoar
Old May 30, 2014, 07:58 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,553 Posts
I wonder how bad the video lag is?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old May 30, 2014, 08:27 AM
Joined Sep 2004
206 Posts
Where did you read that it had GPS - I couldn't find that in any of the descriptions? What I saw said controller had to be pointed at quad for the RTH to function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
This puppy has: 10DOF + GPS + a smart control board.

I'm wondering if they put inside a BMP180 or a MS5611 as baro sensor ... only the MS5611 is an expensive sensor over 10$ ... but 5883 / 6050 and BMP180 they cost less then or around 2$ ... for the performance seen in the video it is looking a good baro, like the MS5611 ... but .. they could have been tricky on show only the good part of the video ... anyhow.

An STM32 chip cost 2$
ATmega2560 is a bit more expensive, but not that much.

Brushed ESC and Brushed motor, cost nothing ...

In this budget, my guess is that they did suck from open source projects, for cut development costs

The big Walkera with GPS has rumors that it has a APM/MPNG clone inside
So ... if there is a 2560 chip inside, or an STM32 ... then we know from which project they did re-use the job.

Anyhow ... the unique technology here is the WiFi and smartphone support ...

I'm curious about the video quality, but I guess I could not expect anything more then 640x480 possibly at only 15fps due to WiFi limits ... no microSD on board, so I don't believe this does any HD video recording.

Still it is possible to add a FullHD camera on it in case.

Anyhow ... this sound a perfect toy for a kid ... give a smartphone phone in follow me more to a running kid in the park ... and it should be a super cool way to "record/store" good outdoor time ... also I can see tons of other funny way to use this toy.

Being little and cheap ... does also take away all the stress from operating bigger copters with similar functions.
CitizenKane is offline Find More Posts by CitizenKane
Old May 30, 2014, 08:29 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I wonder how bad the video lag is?
Checking at this video:
WALKERA QR Y100 controlled by iPhone 5S (2 min 58 sec)

Not only the video is looking having the lag, but also the control is quite delayed.

Check at 2:20 ... I measure around 300mSec between the control is given and the action is executed.

About video lag ... there is only some frame at take off, that are hard to "decode" also at frame by frame analysis ... but it does not look too bad.

Possibly is 250mSec the delay all around ... possibly quite hard to be controlled smoothly via FPV (same issue reported with the smaller FPV quad using WiFi), but decent enough for a slow control ... anyhow, with 80m range, I don't expect much use of the FPV capacity, it is more for check what it is in the frame.

I think this should be consider as toy ... not for take any aerial video ...

For me the best usage stay to give a smartphone to a kid running in park with the follow me function enabled ...
Old May 30, 2014, 08:36 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
Where did you read that it had GPS - I couldn't find that in any of the descriptions? What I saw said controller had to be pointed at quad for the RTH to function.
There is no pointer in the mobile phone

WiFi will have a strange range around the smartphone.

Yes, we did guess above that either GPS or WiFi signal will need to be followed.

I never heard of a precise WiFi signal followed in a 2D space.

What I have seen is that the iRemote apps require to get access to GPS from the smartphone ... why they need it ? if not to send GPS coordinate to the Y100 ? Also I see only outdoor video show of the follow me function ... no indoor video ...

So my educated guess is that there is a GPS inside ...

I will know for sure only once I will have this toy bird in my hands.

It is amazing how little info they did disclose over this bird ...
Old May 30, 2014, 09:04 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,553 Posts
A person could always remove the WiFi components and add in micro fpv system
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29